Thread: 6 Mosses

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Loh, for the 3rd 'game', the 1st 3 winners will get either Taiwan or weeping moss. What's the amount will be? One handfull???
    Even if there are hundreds of people trying their luck, as mentioned, if everyone make his wild guess, there will only be one correct answer out of 720 tries!!!

To the earlier game-winners, as promised (did I promise??? ), each of you will get from me 2 full fronds of the Taiwan Moss. Winners from Singapore, please collect from me next Thursday 6th May 2004 anytime from 12 noon to 12 midnight. I will be making myself available to you guys on that day, so please make yourself available to collect from me too. Sorry, no other day is possible for me. Leave me a pm with you number & I will contact you.
    For our oversea winners, I will send to one of you 1st. If the moss can survive the journey, I will send the moss to the rest. However, if the moss can't survive the journey, we will try to figure out the next option. Or anyone can give a better suggestion or willing to sponsor the speed parcel postage fee??? :wink:

Regards,
    Yandy

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarik
    Even if there are hundreds of people trying their luck, as mentioned, if everyone make his wild guess, there will only be one correct answer out of 720 tries!!!
    That's assuming there are no duplicate guesses!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My hat's off to those who got it right the 2nd round.
    Most people probably have only Java, Christmas and/or Singapore. I got all 6 mosses in my tank and yet I got it wrong !!

KL,
    I am sure your inbox is flooded with pm by now By tomorrow, you may run out of disk space !!
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh did not mention about the number of quesses each person is allowed to make, did he??? No, I don't think so !!! Maybe we can flood his inbox with lots & lots of PMs with all kinds of combination of anwers.
    So guys, keep your wild guesses flowing!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    Hi guys
    This time this is very very hard to tell. I will not even try to write any combination . I don't have a luck in lotto-like games
    I wish luck to all.

Radek W
    When things become tough........remeber it can always get tougher

Feedback Score
    I've had a gamble - I don't fancy my chances - I've never won anything on the lottery. All the mosses are so similar - who'd be a bryologist?

Feedback Score
    i got a little question but its not about the quiz about the second quiz... did you happen to name the moss picture by their name ? or maybe im just a bit late to check out the picture but it seem that it has the answer in it when you right click ==> properties... maybe its just me
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alan, you don't have to check the properties. Just hit 'Quote'...

Yandy, mighty generous of you for distributing the fronds. On the bright side, the crew-cut look is 'in'... even for mosses!

Kwek Leong, now that you've compiled all mosses into one (with a clueless jpeg name)... guess why everyone is saying that it's tough!! Good game to observe while it lasted... even for a fish-person :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alan
    i got a little question but its not about the quiz about the second quiz... did you happen to name the moss picture by their name ? or maybe im just a bit late to check out the picture but it seem that it has the answer in it when you right click ==> properties... maybe its just me
    Alan,
    You are so smart ! This is thinking out of the box ! Should have done that instead of pulling my hair trying to figure out the ID

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Next thing you know, we will play "name that rotala" or "name that ludwigia"....by their roots

Feedback Score
    Maybe the second quiz should be voided then if the answer was so easy to find. I might have loss some hair from quiz 2, but the knowledge is very helpful for quiz 3. As much as I would like some Taiwan moss, it is not fair for Yandy's generous(and pricey!) donation to be taken advantage of. But this one is up to Yandy and Mr. Loh. It is just too bad that we cannot athenticate our answer is genuine.

Or maybe we should redo quiz 2 . Different picture of course.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just when I was about to give up, someone comes out with a sure correct answer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, folks,

It was real silly of me not to realise that by clicking on "quote" anyone can see the filenames of the pictures. Fortunately for this 3rd puzzle, the filename is such it won't tell you anything

The puzzle is very tough as there are very few clues. Ghazanfar Ghori said that if anyone can come up with a correct answer, he deserves to be named "Moss King". Well, folks, I've received 9 private messages and guess what? Someone did come up with the correct answer And he is none other than Ghazanfar himself. So far, Ghazanfar has been spot-on with his answers on all 3 puzzles. I think he really deserves the title of "The King of Mosses".

Now that you know Ghazanfar is the only person who came up with the correct answer, I would urge those of you who have pmed me your answers to try again. Remember the quiz isn't over until I receive correct answers from 3 persons. So there's 2 more to go.

Yandy, mosses are good travellers so they should survive the long journey to either the USA or UK easily. If you're not sure how to pack them, take a look at this thread. You're being very generous with your Taiwan Moss and I'm sure the guys here appreciate your kind gesture very much. However, it wouldn't be fair to you to give away so many of the Taiwan Moss for free when it cost you so much to buy them. So I would suggest that you leave the overseas hobbyists to me. In other words, I will send the Taiwan Moss to Ghazanfar, Mark Mendoza, Tony aka Gomer, Radek and Tony from UK.

Ghazanfar, being the "King of Mosses", deserves more than just Taiwan Moss so I will be sending Weeping Moss to him too. The next 2 persons to come up with the correct answer for the 3rd puzzle will get Weeping Moss as well. I know this 3rd puzzle is very tough so I'm going to give you all a clue :-

Mark Mendoza who was the first person to respond to the puzzle sent in this answer:- From left to right: Christmas, Erect, Taiwan, Java, Weeping, Singapore

Well, the clue is not only was his answer wrong but amazingly, Mark also didn't get a single moss correct

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Someone included "Willow Moss" in his answer. To clarify, there's no Willow Moss in the picture. They are, not in any order, Weeping, Taiwan, Erect, Christmas, Singapore and Java mosses.

Willow Moss is easy to identify. It's very different from the other 6 mosses. Here's a picture of a single strand of Willow, up close:

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ghazanfar, you deserve the title of 'Moss King' !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    Ghazanfar, do deserve the title of 'Moss King' !
    And maybe you should be Moss Prince, Gan

Folks, I'm delighted to announce that Gan C W is the second person to come up with the correct answer. He has kept the Singapore flag flying for us. Let's give him a big round of applause

Loh K L

Woah!

I didn't expect to win. Maybe I should run out and buy a lottery ticket,
    seems like I'm on a roll!

Congrats to Gan - this last one was really really tough!

I'm looking forward to receiving the weeping moss and taiwan moss!
    That'll complete my collection of the ones on the pictures! I think
    Gwee sent me some Singapore moss earlier but I'm not 100% certain.
    But that should be easier to come by than these other two anyway!
    Can't wait!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My guess is

Taiwan
    Erect
    singapore
    weeping
    java
    xmas

Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    wackytpt,
    Please sign off with your real name. Use the edit function. Do it fast before you get "Timebombed"!!!

For the answer, please use the PM mode. Who knows, you might be giving a perfect answer & become the 3rd winner but because you did not follow simple regulations, your answer might be rejected!!

Regards,
    Yandy:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarik
    Do it fast before you get "Timebombed"!!!
    Yandy, thanks for watching out for your friends. Nice to see forum becoming self-regulating.

Nicholas, welcome to the forum. I see you've edited your post real quick! :wink: Stick around and enjoy your stay.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast