Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6 Mosses

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Congratulations Gan and Ghanzanfar - I prefer to give you the title of moss masters!
    Cheers Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    perhaps King and Queen Moss Masters?...but I guess we'll need to let them fight over who is king and who is queen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    perhaps King and Queen Moss Masters?...but I guess we'll need to let them fight over who is king and who is queen
    It doesn't really matter. The important thing is we are (hopefully) more kowledgeable about mosses now than six months ago when the only moss most people knew were Java and Christmas and most can't tell the difference between the two !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarik
    Please sign off with your real name. Use the edit function. Do it fast before you get "Timebombed"!!!
    Thanks for helping to moderate the forum, Yandy. But these days, I no longer insist users sign off with their real names. It would be great if they do but if they don't, I won't make a fuss over it.

I cut my teeth, so to speak, on the Aquatic Plants Digest. Over there, almost everyone uses a real name so I thought there aren't any valid reasons for anonymity. But over the last few months, I've got to know a couple of guys who are really nice and friendly people. They are members of this forum too and for various reasons, they chose to use nicks instead of their real names. One was a victim of stalking so he was reluctant to identify himself. Another works in a highly-sensitive post with the government and his boss will be displeased if he uses his real name on the net. One of my own moderators, in fact also uses a nick too because he hangs around forums where hackers prowl.

If new members sign off with real names, we are more than happy to welcome them. But if they don't, we will assume they have good reasons for not doing so.

I will, however, continue to "timebomb" anyone who uses sms language in their posts. Even if it's just a "u" for "you", I will be there to kickass

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    perhaps King and Queen Moss Masters?...
    If Ghazanfar and Gan C W are the King and Queen (not necessarily respectively ), then what does that make you?

Congratulations, Tony. You're the 3rd winner. Folks, I'm officially declaring that the contest is over. Ghazanfar, Gan C W and Tony aka Gomer are the 3 winners. This is the correct answer:

From left to right - Java, Christmas, Erect, Taiwan, Singapore, Weeping.

I'll be sending Taiwan and Weeping Mosses to Ghazanfar and Tony. As for Radek, Mark and Tony (UK), they will be getting only Taiwan Moss. I'll try and send more but please understand that what I have is not very much so please don't be disappointed if there's only a few fronds in the envelope. I will appreciate it very much if the winners send me their mailing addresses through pm or email.

I like to thank everyone for taking part in the contest. I hope you all had fun. For my next quiz, I will be putting up the microscope pictures Just kidding, of course.

Not only was Ghazanfar Ghori the first person to correctly identify all the mosses but he also did it in his first attempt. To think that he doesn't have the Taiwan and Weeping Mosses in his tanks, that's an incredible effort. I would ask Ghazanfar to tell us his secret on how he did it.

Over to you, Ghazanfar, please tell us.........

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    wow! That is awesome. I must say, that this was a VERY hard challenge. I had to go picture to picture and slowly do eliminations. My first guess, I was almost right and swapped Taiwan with xmas moss....was able to catch it the second time.

It is amazing that Ghazanfar did them all so "apparently easy". I hope he struggled like me

Because of your generosity with this Loh, I'l try and have grow outs of each (xmas, erect, taiwan, and weeping). Should I have extra and you ahve another type of contest like this, I'll gladly ship a little to any winners that are in the states to alleviate you the hassle

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, I really feel bad by the idea of you of giving your Taiwan moss to the winners of the 2nd game. Why not I pass you my Taiwan moss (and some postage fee ) & you help me post to them?? I dont have confident of doing the correct packaginging method for the moss. I do not own any plastic bag sealer. Had tried to seal the plastic bag using lighter but unable to make it airtight! Thus, I need an expert in plant export like you.
    For all the winners, congratulations!!! I hope that you had won by honesty. Anyone honest enough to admit otherwise??? :wink:
    Whatever it is, for our Singapore winners, please take note of the collection date & time I mentioned earlier.

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Yandy,
    Sealing up a bag is relatively easy and you don't need to be a expert to do that. After you have put the moss in the plastic bag, wipe the inside of the bag to remove the water droplet. Use Mr Loh's method to seal the bag. For me, seal one fourth of the bag and then pressed it with your finger. Repeat until you have complete sealing the bag opening.

Hope that helps.

Okay, after the moss, can we go to killies egg???/fry competition? Ronnie will contribute 6 photos of the killies fry and we will guess what fish is it.
    (sorry, just a joke to lighten up the atmosphere after a tense contest)

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yandy, keep my share of the Taiwan moss. I'm not any good with mosses anyway and I've yet to set up my 2ft tank primarily for moss growing at this moment. Too busy with my Army work nowadays.. and too lazy to do anything too.. haha!

Maybe in the future I'll buy a frond or two from you to give them a try. But what I need now is LOTS and LOTS of Java Moss.. my favourite moss.. heheheh. :wink:

By the way, what's the moss that we can get for $5 a pack at PetMart? I bought one of these packs before and am growing the mosses on my mangrove root. They had alot of loose soil attached to the base of the mosses and yes, they still had capsules then before I started growing them submersed. Now they're really boggling me. I'm not sure what they are but they're showing two different growth forms. One is like a creeping growth and the other form is more like a mess of branching fronds all over the bloody place. Now that's one moss that has puzzled me for some time. Anyone knows what they are?
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most likely Singapore Moss

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, I really feel bad by the idea of you of giving your Taiwan moss to the winners of the 2nd game.
    Yandy,

You don't have to feel bad about anything. I have enough Taiwan Moss to spread a little of it to the overseas winners. As for the Weeping Moss, although what I have is even less than the Taiwan, only 2 persons are going to receive it. Gan has turned down the offer as he's resourceful enough to get the Weeping Moss through his own connections. You don't have to worry about the postage fees as the amount is negligible. It costs only Sing $1 to send Moss to any country in the world.

It was a big blunder on my part not to realise that the filenames of the pictures will give away the answers. But this isn't a commercially-sponsored contest. No prizes were promised and I think all who took part in the game knew this from the start. You came along and offered to send Taiwan Mosses to the winners. It was an act of generousity and I'm sure the guys here understand this. If anyone had cheated, I'm quite sure his conscience will prevent him from turning up at your house to collect the free moss.

To tell the truth, I got the Taiwan Moss for a very low price and the Weeping Moss for free. You, on the other hand, paid a high figure for your Taiwan Moss. If anyone's generous, it has to be you. I'm glad to know you as a friend, Yandy.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    One is like a creeping growth and the other form is more like a mess of branching fronds all over the bloody place. Now that's one moss that has puzzled me for some time. Anyone knows what they are?
    The creeping one could be the emersed form of Singapore Moss. The branching one could be Java Moss which quite often gets mixed up with other mosses as they are very common. I was at Teo's the other day and he was puzzled about the identities of some of his mosses too. I offered to take the mosses to the professor for identification but when Teo pulled them out from the tank, I was pretty sure they were Singapore Moss. He showed me another which was growing on driftwood. He thought it was Taiwan but I was sure it was Java. When I'm pretty sure, I won't bring the mosses to the professor. I don't think it would be fair to ask the professor to identify every single moss in the market, unless of course, it's possibly a new species.

Jianyang, if you want to know what moss you have in your tanks, bring some over to me and I'll try and identify them. If you're looking for Java, I have plenty. My wife who helped me take the close-up pictures claims she's an expert now. If I don't know, maybe she will .

By the way, guys, I've reinstated the close-up pictures in the second puzzle. You can now compare them with those in the 3rd puzzle to find out where you went wrong :smile:.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    My wife who helped me take the close-up pictures claims she's an expert now. If I don't know, maybe she will
    She took those pictures ?! She is a good photographer !!
    I am sure she also know more about Killifish than me :-)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think we should all thank KL for starting this interesting thread and Yandy and KL for offering their precious mosses as prize !

I turned down KL's offer becasue I already have both mosses (though not much) and I know how little Taiwan and Weeping Moss KL has.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to Mr. Loh, those of us who participated have learned quite a lot on mosses! Maybe we should spread out and take on the roles moss missionaries to other countries/forums =). I am sure everyone appreciates the donations by both Mr. Loh and Yandy.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! Just a simple contribution from me make my name suddenly "famous" . I was just trying to make this wonderful site more lively. Just for the record, I did post on 4 other Singapore planted websites with subject "Want Taiwan or Weeping moss FOC???" & included a link to this site. Out of a sudden, lots of people send me PMs asking for trade, to sell them cheaply or even spare them free Taiwan moss. What suprised me was all of them are from Singpore where we can get the Taiwan moss easily . If any of our oversea members are asking for the Taiwan moss, I would have understand, as the availability is close to none. In fact, I am hoping for our oversea members who love to have the Taiwan moss to PM me with their addresses as I still have the moss to spare to them (inspired by our great Mr Loh) . I was 'dying' to have weeping moss before Gan came to my rescue. Let's hope that we can have a culture of sharing through this website .
    By the way, I still can't manage to make an airtight plastic bag (using lighter) containing moss for our overseas members. However, I found a easy way out: making use of the plastic bag sealer at our very own LFS, EcoCulture .

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In fact, I am hoping for our oversea members who love to have the Taiwan moss to PM me with their addresses as I still have the moss to spare to them (inspired by our great Mr Loh)
    Yandy,

If, in any way, I had inspired you to share your mosses with fellow hobbyists, I'm truly glad. I've sent many mosses to several hundred people living in other countries, most of them were strangers. I've also given mosses to Singaporean hobbyists who asked me for them. Most offered to buy but I've never collected money for my plants.

For people who live in other nations, I've always make it a point to ask them to make a contribution to the APD defense fund first before sending them the mosses. I don't ask the local hobbyists to do the same as I know many do not have paypal accounts and it would be difficult for them to contribute. I've never mentioned about the defense fund here in this forum but it's one of my pet causes. I've a banner at the bottom of my home page that leads directly to the defense fund web site.

If you have a plant that is highly desirable to hobbyists who live in other countries and you don't mind giving it away, why not help the fund by asking them to make a contribution? I'm sure most wouldn't mind as it's a worthy cause.

If you have not heard of the APD defense fund and don't know what it is all about, please click here.

Loh K L

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    I like to thank everyone for taking part in the contest. I hope you all had fun. For my next quiz, I will be putting up the microscope pictures Just kidding, of course.

Not only was Ghazanfar Ghori the first person to correctly identify all the mosses but he also did it in his first attempt. To think that he doesn't have the Taiwan and Weeping Mosses in his tanks, that's an incredible effort. I would ask Ghazanfar to tell us his secret on how he did it.

Over to you, Ghazanfar, please tell us.........

Loh K L
    Microscopic pics?!

There was really nothing special about IDing the mosses. It was a process
    of observation and elimination. Personally I have Xmas, Erect and Java
    moss so those three were easy to ID. I did have some trouble trying
    to figure out the differences between the a few of them though.

Let me first say that IDing these mosses visually like this is very
    difficult. Growing conditions have a lot to play in what these
    mosses look like to the naked eye. Anyway, here's how I
    thought this through when trying to distinguish between them.

Java moss:
    Easiest to ID. Its got very little branching and a very uniform
    shaped 'leaves'.

Taiwan moss:
    Easy to ID in these pictures. Its the one that has the most
    'Christmas tree' like pattern (which is why I want it!)
    and it's also the most delecate one.

Willow moss:
    The widest and darkest green of all the mosses in the picture.

Christmas moss:
    It's got an 'irregular' growth pattern to it both in terms of the
    fronds and the 'leaves'. I can't explain it - but if you keep it,
    you can see what I'm talking about.

Singapore moss:
    This was very difficult for me to ID and I basically used a process
    of elimination to get to this one. It's very similar to Xmass moss
    but a little less 'irregular'. Very difficult to tell apart from Xmass
    moss though.

Erect moss:
    When compared side by side with the other mosses,
    the growth pattern of the fronds is very distinctive. It's slightly
    wider than Xmass moss and seems to have a little more
    compact growth pattern.

Anyway - that's how I ID'ed them. It's not scientific at all.
    I used a combination of personal experience, observation,
    process of elimination and sheer luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazanfar Ghori
    Anyway - that's how I ID'ed them. It's not scientific at all.
    It may not be very scientific but it may interest you to know, Ghazanfar, that the professor can't tell the mosses apart unless he looks at them under a microscope. I'm sure there's a lot you can teach him about mosses :wink:.

Loh K L

I got my mosses today - thanks Loh!
    Along with that, I also got a huge mat of what I beleive is Singapore
    moss from Sia Meng. Sweet! Thanks a ton guys!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast