Country
    Singapore

Stowaways

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

I sent the Taiwan Moss to several people last week and this afternoon, I received this reply.

Loh K L,
    The moss has arrived in seemingly perfect condition. It's amazing how well it travels when packed correctly. So thankyou very much for that, but also there were some passengers traveling by air moss. Along with the moss came four fry (that's how many I've been able to count) - I wonder if you know what sort they are?
    Cheers
    The fish are probably fry of the Java Medaka. If you want to learn more about this fish, take a look at this thread. Here's a picture of a female carrying eggs.

If you are one of those receiving Taiwan or Weeping Moss from me, take a close look. Chances are quite good there will be some stowaways.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    that fish are a beauty ! so do you mean that the egg hitched a ride on the moss or the fish ? another question , is the fish peaceful toward other fish and shrimp bigger than its mouth ?
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Stowaways

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    If you are one of those receiving Taiwan or Weeping Moss from me, take a close look. Chances are quite good there will be some stowaways.
    That is a surprise bonus !

Feedback Score
    Mr Loh,

Congratulation on discovers new way of sending eggs by air by accident.

Cheers,
    Eric

I think I have one fry that hitched a ride on some Erect moss Gwee
    got from Loh for me a while ago. Pretty wild!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alan
    that fish are a beauty ! so do you mean that the egg hitched a ride on the moss or the fish ? another question , is the fish peaceful toward other fish and shrimp bigger than its mouth ?
    Yes, Alan, the fish hitched a ride on the mosses as eggs. I'm not sure how long is the incubation period but the Java Medaka is not a Killie so I think their eggs hatch 2 days after being laid. It's amazing how they survive the journey as it takes 5 days for the mosses to reach someone in England from here.

They are peaceful fish. They won't eat shrimps. I have plenty of Java Medaka because they breed easily. If there's enough interest, I will leave some of the fish with Eco-culture and you all can go and buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by greentea
    Congratulation on discovers new way of sending eggs by air by accident.
    Yes, it's food for thought. We usually pack Killifish eggs in peat moss when we send them to hobbyists in other nations. Maybe using aquatic moss would work better. Has anyone tried it yet?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    They are peaceful fish. They won't eat shrimps. I have plenty of Java Medaka because they breed easily. If there's enough interest, I will leave some of the fish with Eco-culture and you all can go and buy from them.

Loh K L
    i will post again when my planted tank gotten a bit more suitable for fish to live in
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i will post again when my planted tank gotten a bit more suitable for fish to live in
    Hi alan,
    I don't get you. I always think that planted tank should be the best place for fishes.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohsan
    Hi alan,
    I don't get you. I always think that planted tank should be the best place for fishes.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San
    im ashame to say this but i cant really call my tank a planted tank , i wanted to fill it with plant and see fish school in it but currently , the plant in it are all moss , and a 1ft driftwood in a 2ft tank . im trying to cover the whole base with moss and maybe let it grow for some time before i can say its a real planted tank

and does anyone has any idea how do i make moss stay flat on the gravel so it wont float up ?
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear Alan, are you referring to riccia or moss? AFAIK, moss sink, not float!

If you really want a 'carpet' of moss, spread the moss thinly over the substrate and sprinkle additional gravel over them. In time, the moss will adhere to the gravel and stay down.

I tinkered with a partial coverage of moss carpet and it did grow, but realized that with my heavy feeding and under-capacity filtration, there's a fair bit of lodged detritus. I suppose it'll be different if it's meant as a shrimp tank.

Just realized posting wasn't fish related and we're going off thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwek Leong
    Maybe using aquatic moss would work better. Has anyone tried it yet?
    While I've not shipped eggs in moss but experimented incubation with some australe eggs in damp moss and fry did hatch. Can't imagine if that'll work for non-annuals with longer incubation. Kwek Leong, I doubt if moss will survive for months in darkness (no experience, just speculating).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Apologies for the off-topic continuance.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    does anyone has any idea how do i make moss stay flat on the gravel so it wont float up?
    Tie the moss to pieces of stone. This will (1) prevent the moss from floating around, (2) make maintenance a breeze as you can remove the rocks to trim and/or vacuum, and (3) yield an attractive 'hilly' appearance. As far as getting the moss to stay flat, you'll need to either trim judiciously, and/or employ 'downward-growing' species, such as Xmas, Singapore, or Taiwan moss. With decent current and a clean-up crew (i.e. Caridina japonica), the moss won't be lodged with detritus.

If you desire a 100% moss foreground, then consider using NO gravel in the foreground area. This will eliminate the unattractive "substrate line" from the front view. Also makes maintenance a breeze.

---

A moss-only tank is a planted tank IMO. The focus of the aquascape simply shifts from an emphasis on plants to an emphasis on hardscape (rock/driftwood arrangements, etc.). Amano has such a tank in Nature Aquarium Book 2 or 3.