Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: First Killies: Green Panchax

Feedback Score

First Killies: Green Panchax

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i just got my first killies, it looks great, I've read that golden wonders get somewhat aggresive, since they are in the same genus?... I was wondering if my green panchax are as agrresive? Oh I think I got a pair but not sure, how can you tell the sex? Any good web site infoe on these guys?

Feedback Score
    Ok I just read the Forum Netiquette and will try to post differently. The killies I have is a Aplocheilus blocki(Sorry don't know how to italize it). Not sure if it's a pair, I looked at pictures on the internet but they aren't that great, the store owner said females are bit bigger and males are more colorful. I am going to breed them but probably not yet. Not alot of websites on these guys so any help or information would be great.

-Peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the forum, Peter, and I'm glad you read the 'house-rules'.

The Aplocheilus blocki, Aplocheilus lineatus (Golden Panchax) and Aplochelius panchax (Blue Panchax) all share common 'body dimorphism' = sexual differentiation (hope I got the term correct) and breeding habits. Also, the correct spelling should be blockii, with 2 'i's. See mispelling

You might find the info relevant at;
    http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...s_Panchax.html
    http://ark.killi.net/Scheel/Scheel26.pdf
    http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Spec...y.cfm?id=55289

There's a black and white illustration of sexual dimorphism at;
    http://images.killi.net/b/BLO/

BTW to italize any word, just highlight and click the 'i' button (on the left of the 'Quote', amongst the row of commands above the text box).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ronnie, I've just finish my fish room and am looking for killies breeder that is willing to ship to canada, there aren't as many people in Canada that are into Killies as I am so not alot of species around here if any at all. The only ones that are offered are golden peasant and luckily I found the green panchax. So if there anyone one that will ship to canada I please pm me. I love killies, so colorful and special.

Feedback Score
    Peter,
    There is a Canadian Killifish ***. at www.cka.org that you might find to be of help. Or try Karl Walters at 604 596-1844. he has a nice variety of fish.
    Happy fishing!
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    I thought that club died off though? Someone said that there was only 70 members and the club stopped operating? I guess its not true....?

Ok afew more question,I went to the web site and this was posted:

A. elberti GKC 90/17

What does the 90/17 mean. Incubation period?

Well I have 2 Aplocheilus blockii and they don't seem to get along. My pair isnt a pair after all, they are both males. I have a big one and a smaller one, big one is about 6 cm and the small one about 3 cm. Both in a 10 gallon, tank setup: 2 big drift wood with java moss and java fern attached to it, 2 female guppies, and 2 small SAE.

This morning I found my smaller A.blockii 's tale all mess up, pieces were missing, I'm guessing they aren't friendly towards one another?

Oh and does Karl Walters have a website or email address, I'd don't want to call cause it seems weird. lol so unexspected.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter,

Quote Originally Posted by groovay
    A. elberti GKC 90/17

What does the 90/17 mean. Incubation period?
    GKC 90/17 is actually the collection code. In this case, the collectors were Wolfgang Grell & Karl Heinz Kohler, collected at Cameroon in 1990 and collection place No 17.

You can refer to here :
    http://www.killifish.f9.co.uk/Killif...KCAR-GKC90.htm
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by groovay
    Oh and does Karl Walters have a website or email address, I'd don't want to call cause it seems weird. lol so unexspected.
    Peter,

I checked my BNL from the AKA and Karl does not have an email address listed. He has an address and telephone number though.

Karl H Walter
    11680-85 B Ave
    Delta, BC, Canada. V4C-2V9
    (604) 596-1844

I've bought killifish eggs from Karl before and I would say the hatch rates are pretty good. I've heard that Karl isn't a computer guy so he doesn't communicate through email. It's best you call.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the help, you guys are really fast and friendly. I hope to learn alot of all of you as I make my way into the killies world.

-peter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi folks,

Thanks for sorting out the info that Peter needed and Deb, I'm glad you're still with us :wink:

Peter, do keep us updated as to how you're getting on with the panchax and future new species.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Deb, I'm glad you're still with us
    Life here has been wild... garden work, school programs,and everything else that comes with spring. I have had only time to keep up with the reading while slurping on a cup of coffee!
    Now off to catch some mossies for the fish....
    Deb Bear
    AKA#08746
    SAA#175

Feedback Score
    Sweeet I just got some new killies, Fundulopanchax gardneri. I look and look and when I saw that they had it at one of my LFS I got so excited. I scooped up 3 pairs. They are about 3-4 months old only though, I place them all into a 5 gallon is that ok? Can anyone give me some good websites on these guys? Can anyone give me their own experience on this species? I know there are alot of variety but don't know the names, Mine has a purplish-blue body colorn wit red spots and yellow on the end of the caudal tail. I think it's the nigeria kinds...

-Peter