Country
    Singapore

Dave's Erect Moss Tree

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

My good friend, Dave who lives in Georgia USA sent me these pictures of his 30 gallon cube. The first picture was taken slightly more than a month ago. The second picture was taken probably yesterday. Obviously, Dave has been very successful in growing the Erect Moss.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Whoa...and check out his glosso...

What kind of light is Dave using for his tank Mr Loh?

Feedback Score
    The lighting is two 32 watt 6700K power compact strips. I had the canopy sitting right on top of the glass, but the lights that close encouraged algae growth on the gloss and the moss, so I added 4 legs that raise it about 10 inches higher than that. That seems a good height to still get nice growth.

I think I'll start calling that my "gloss and moss" tank.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ha ha, nice name for the tank...

What kind of critters are in the tank? Pretty hard to spot them from the photos.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    What kind of critters are in the tank? Pretty hard to spot them from the photos.
    Cherry Barbs ?
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy
    Ha ha, nice name for the tank...

i think that those are cherry shrimps?

Regards,
    Izzat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David,

may i know what gravel are you using?

Feedback Score
    The tank has a few Caridina japonica, and about 15 cherry shrimp. There is also one SAE, 6 cherry barbs (algae control), and about 5 small Rams (Geophagus ramirezi). I have been hoping the cherry shrimp would spawn, but no luck so far.

The sustrate is Eco-Complete. Nice color, and it buffers the water to a GH/KH of 6, so I don't have to add any GH or KH builders.

Kwek Leong suggested I pull the spraybar and heater I had in there prior for aesthetic reasons. I have since replaced the Eheim bar with a single return and switched from an in-tank heater (Ebo-Jaeger) a new heater that plumbs into the cannister filter return line. This heater is sold under the brand name Hydor. Their website is www.hydor.com. Nice pieces. Uses a new heat transfer ink technology to transer the heat to the water that passes thru it.

We do need heaters occaisionally here, even in summer. My tanks are in the basement of my house, so it stays cooler than the top floor.

The way the Hydor works reminds me of how a rear windor defroster in cars works, but I guess you all don't need to worry about icing up your windows in Singapore, hehehe. Maybe fog?
    Regards,
    David Grim

I just wanted to say that the picture does not do any justice to Dave's tank!!! I had the wonderful opportunity to see it in person, and I was awe-struck at this brilliantly sparkling green color of the moss. The way that the branches were arranged imposed lots of shadowy crevices that I found simply irresistable. You all need to buy a plane ticket and come to Dave's house right now. GO!!!

The sustrate is Eco-Complete. Nice color, and it buffers the water to a GH/KH of 6, so I don't have to add any GH or KH builders.
    The buffering effect of Eco-Complete is in the black water solution that the substrate is packaged in. The gravel itself is inert. This is why CaribSea reccomends that the liquid should be discarded when adding the product to an established tank. A couple of water changes should remove the buffering agent.

Here is an interview with CaribSea about the product.