Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear Ghanzanfar,

I knew you in aquabotanic.com, Ghanzanfar is your real name, however, I would encourage you sign off at the end of your posting. This is a "policy" here. See stickies for more information on how forumers can help themselve to enjoy this plcae.

Tips: use signature function.

You are a keen observer, I am always confuse over X'mas and Taiwan moss. Erect moss is the easiest for me, simply because they erect .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm glad the mosses arrived safe and sound Keep a look-out for Java Medaka fry.

Freddy, in Ghazanfar's case, there's really no necessity for him to put down his name at the bottom of his posts. He's one of the few who's using his real name as his nick.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Freddy, in Ghazanfar's case, there's really no necessity for him to put down his name at the bottom of his posts. He's one of the few who's using his real name as his nick.
    I disagree.
    -How do forumers who do not know Ghazanfar (although he is well known figure in planted arena) tell that he uses his real name?
    -Gomer and Barbarik can be their names too but they are not.
    If we allow this, we could be mistaken as double-standard.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    If we allow this, we could be mistaken as double-standard.
    Hmm, you have a point there, Freddy.

But I won't make an issue out of it. Did you see my post regarding forum users using real names? If not , please take a look at this.

Maybe its time I re-write the sticky on forum netiquette to better accomodate forum users who have valid reasons for anonymity. Please give me some time and I'll work on it.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I read what I wrote on "Forum Netiquette" and I think there is no need for any change. It has always been our policy to encourage forum users to use real names but it was never a rule. We will continue to encourage everyone to put down a real name but we won't make an issue out of it if they don't. I have met many forum users whom I think are great guys and it would be a pity if they are discouraged from posting just because they refuse to reveal their true identities.

Having said that, I will appreciate it very much if everyone who's comfortable about revealing who they are take up Freddy's suggestion to use the "signature" function in their profiles to sign off with their real names. Ronnie Lee, my fellow moderator in "Killies Arena" once said that a real name implies sincerity. I agree with that statement but I would also like to remind my fellow moderators that not using a real name does not necessarily imply a lack of sincerity. Thank you.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Before I came to know this forum, I never realise how important it is to identify myself. I slowly learned that & also support the rules against the use of SMS languages & the reminder to make a simple greeting to everyone as a form of countesy. The moderators have certainly done their jobs well. Keep it up, guys! :wink:
    Regarding the use of real names, I think the rules can imply to most of us. Only a few of us, with some valid reasons, choose to 'hide' behind nicknames instead. Mr Loh, in some older posts, did tell some people off for not signing off with real names. Now, Mr Loh seems more 'relaxed' with these rules. However, it might lead some into thinking that we are practicing some form of double-standard!!!
    I would like to suggest that we stop insisting people to sign off with real names from now onwards. Everybody (especially the moderators) should make it a point not to tell off those who do not sign off with real names openly. We can use the PM mode instead & enquire these people why they choose not to reveal their real names.
    But, the rules against the use of SMS languages must continue. If somehow, someday, the moderators choose to 'relax' these rules, I will be the first one to show my protest!
    Last but not least, I am happy to tell everyone that we at killies.com are somehow unique & different from other local forums. I might be like everybody else in those forums. But, when I am here, in killies.com, I somehow feel I am in a special place. The need to uphold additional rules & regulations makes the sense of belonging to this forum to be with me!!! Even more people from other local forums came to realise we are no-nonsense forums. Go to the following link & you will know what I mean:
    http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7615
    Hey!!! Don't we feel like the big brother among the local forums???

Regards,
    Yandy

Feedback Score
    From playing a lot of videogames on the internet, I never had a value for names because they were switched frequently and sometimes you would never see the same person again. I was shocked that real names were encouraged when I first visited this forum.

It is quite enjoyable to actually know someone's real name and it creates a greater sense of community. Trust between each other seems greater as well. I would be more willing to send plants to one using his/her real name other than one that I know merely by screen name.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    I agree. There are many sites dedicated to our shared hobby, but none of them can hold a candle to how special this place is
    Ryan aka wicked_good_guppies

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think we should encourage signature whenever possible. I would not say that it should be mandatory as it would be too dictating.

I learnt to reveal my real name through Loh KL. It was kind of out of the "security box" feeling or veal when I first use it. However, after sometime, I realise that there is nothing to hide and nothing to loose. Infact, things get brighter around me as people are forecoming and more sincere. Just like you guys are enjoying.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Freddy and the rest!
    Just happen to have a few minutes break to browse through some of the threads... make me feel excited.
    BTW, I can see all my friends here are doing pretty well , sad to say that I'm not able to contribute much since the beginning.
    Well, as I may not visit here again for a moment (maybe next year ) ..
    I have a little comment ..
    - Why is there no more "Interesting Post" since last year June?

See you guys again....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alright my turn to speak. Lets put it this way. I cannot imagine calling someone by his nick unless that is, I actually forgot his name. Then that's a totally different thing to start with. But the main thing is, for myself, I prefer someone to call me by my name. Having someone call you in public by a nickname is pretty odd to me. I cannot visualize having someone call me Stormhawk while I'm out shopping with my family or hanging out with some friends.

They would most probably scratch their heads and think, "Hey, are you Stormhawk?". Then the following scene can be vividly imagined - they start to laugh and say, "Since when did YOU become a bird? Act stylo issit?". (Sorry for the Singlish, best way for me to actualize the scene).
    I would most naturally be pretty embarrassed and hey, it's not really cool to introduce yourself to a girl with a funny nickname to start with.

So for those anonymous folk around, by all means, stay mysteriously unknown. If it is what is comfortable to you, then do it. But if staying anonymous gives you the right to flame or defame others and just suddenly run off and re-register with a new nick, please, you're not welcome anywhere. For those who have valid reasons (how we judge the validity of the reason is pretty much ambiguous.. who's to say what's valid and what's not?) to remain anonymous, by all means do so but DO contribute. One thing I pretty much disdain are lurkers who just sponge up on info and contribute zilch to the common knowledge base.

P.S. No offence intended to any parties and please, no flaming. I'm not about to become a roast bird (hawk in this case) just yet. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

This has strayed a bit off topic. Maybe it should go into a post
    of it's own.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazanfar Ghori
    This has strayed a bit off topic. Maybe it should go into a post of it's own.
    Ghazanfar's right so I have created a new post for you all to express your opinions on using real names vs using nicks when posting to the forum. I wrote the rules and forum netiquette but to tell the truth, I'm sometimes plagued with doubts. I'm not certain if what I've written in the 2 stickies are good for the forum in the long run.

Please let me know what you think.

We're in need of a subforum where such things can be discussed but for the time being, I can't create it as we're running out of web space. I've been informed by the web host that we've already crossed the 90% mark. Don't worry though. We're going to migrate to a new web host and we are going to have much more space soon. The move will probably take place next week. If all goes well, you won't know the difference.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by sard
    Why is there no more "Interesting Post" since last year June?
    Terry, good to have you back with us.

I'm the one who's in charge of the "Interesting Post" subforum and I'm sorry it hasn't been updated more often. I plead guilty to all charges of being sloppy and lazy.

But we are going to move soon and I plan to make some changes. I will probably remove the "Interesting Posts" subforum and replace it with one for "Announcements and general matters". I've also been comtemplating on creating a sub-forum for users to talk about topics that are not related to aquaria. I hate to use the name "Chit-Chat" as such a name gives the impression that the discussions will be of a frivolous nature. If any of you can think of a better name, I would love to hear your suggestion. I need a moderator for such a subforum though and I can't think of a better person than Mrs Budak. Unfortunately, she declined my invitation to be a moderator here. Until I find someone who is just as good, the plan will be shelved.

Unlike most other forums that have plenty of sub-forums for users to talk about various topics, I prefer that we keep this one simple and uncluttered. We have one subforum for people to talk about Killies and another for people to talk about aquatic plants. We need one for announcements and one more for "anything else". 4 subforums should be enough. I will probably remove the FAQ/Help subforum too when I make the changes. It won't happen so fast though as I'm too lazy to get started.

My motto in life is "Don't do today what you can put off until tomorrow"

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sheesh, I forgot all about the "Trading Post" subforum We will keep this one, of course.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    This maybe off-topic, but since KL mentioned that he'll be keeping the "Trading Post" sub-forum, I have a suggestion.

This is a borrowed concept from AQ - the author of the post should edit his/her subject title and add in 'Closed' once his/her post has served its function. The mods can then delete the post. It might not helped much in the saving of harddisk space but at least it won't clutter up the sub-forum much.

Oh-oh... Ron's giving me that look...
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I hate to use the name "Chit-Chat" as such a name gives the impression that the discussions will be of a frivolous nature.
    What about "Let's Talk"?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    I hate to use the name "Chit-Chat" as such a name gives the impression that the discussions will be of a frivolous nature.
    What about "Let's Talk"?
    What about "Under The Sun"?... that oughta cover everything else!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

I too, share Kwek Leong's view about using real names here: that it should be encouraged, and not imposed.

Firstly, I think that using real name in a forum such as this, is a very good practice that one should adopt, and it should be a mindset and attitude that we should inculcate here.

To encourage such a practice, one should look towards evangelising such a practice to the members, to buy in the members into this kind of mindset. By imposing a rule on this, it is natural that you may face some resistance, this could well work against the forum, stifling our discussion and limiting our quest for knowledge.

We should also be understanding enough, to know that people hiding behind a nick may have reasons on their own to do so. Some may really be uncomfortable with the thought of revealing his/her names to 'strangers', while others may think that it is cool to use a nick, instead of the real name. Much as I have a dislike for someone hiding behind a nick, I've, at the same time, reconciled with the fact that with new netizens these days, using nick is a culture in itself. Just as we old foggies view nicks with disdain, the 'young' ones may think that we're strange and uncool. I think Kwek Leong had put it very aptly, when he said that while it shows sincerity by signing off with our real names, by not doing so doesn't imply insincerity.

Haha, I was guest speaking at Health Promotion Board today, and I just told my audience that organisational policy change should not precede staff's attitude/mindset change, it should the other way round instead. By selling to your members to adopt a certain practice or attitude in this forum, it'll definitely go a longer way treading down the evangelistic path rather than imposing rules.

Cheers,

Kenny Poh

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just a small contribution from an infrequent visitor.

One reason some people may not like to reveal their real names, may be that they do not want people who know them outside the forum to know how much time they spend in here. Like their employers/bosses or the extreme case, their parents, wives or girlfriends.

Some people do share common hobbies with their collegues and it may not reflect well on them if their bosses or collegues go to the same forums and see them posting during office hours.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast