Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pig nose turtle

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if the 'pig nose' soft shell turtle is suitable for planted tanks (only the turtle in the planted tank). Also, any idea if its excretion is poisonous?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think it is a vegetarian, it'll probably welcome the plants in your tank. :wink:
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Hi Hammy,
    I can't answer your Q about the excrement being poisonous, but I'd advise against keeping turtles of any kind in a planted tank. Turtles make so much waste, and your nice plantings would surely be torn to bits and/or eaten in short order.

The only time I have seen turtles and plants together is in large public aquaria type displays of thousands of gallons.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I see... Thanks David... So I guess putting it in a paludarium is out of the question as well...

Feedback Score
    I think the main problem would be finding aquatic plants the turtle either wouldn't eat or tear up. I cannot recommend any to you. This is not my area of expertise. Some turtles might eat fish you'd have as well, and you'd have to do large, frequent water changes to keep up with the waste.

Personally, if I wanted a turtle setup with a land part, I'd use rocks/gravel, etc for the land part and maybe some terrestrial type plants there and forget the other fish except feeders for the turtle, if fish were a part of his diet.

In a paludarium I think most folks do poison arrow frogs or maybe small newts and the like on the land part, at least in the US. One amphibian I have in my tanks are the dwarf african frogs (not the clawed kind). These little guys get about 1 1/2 inches long and don't hurt a thing. They stay at the bottom except to come up for air once in a while.
    Regards,
    David Grim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks David.

Well....I might be having a couple of CP (carnivorous plant) in there....so small frogs are out of the question...