Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Planting Nanas without rock or wood?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Planting Nanas without rock or wood?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can Nanas plant be planted directly on the floor/sand substrate without the use of rock or wood? This would save me the trouble looking for various wood and rocks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    locally, I believe most uses driftwood but if u surf other foreign sites, u realise some of them plant them directly into the gravel.The rhizome must not be covered because it has a tendency to rot.

most plant book recommend that they should not be planted so

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i plant my anubias on driftwood as well as in the gravel. both have the same healthy effect.

Feedback Score
    i understand they do better when water flows past their rhizomes, maybe you can plant them on the substrate, with the upper part exposed? i've seen pictured of nanas planted into the substrate and are doing well.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi naturetan

yes the nana can be planted directly into the substrate....however the getting the plant to start rooting down is very troublesome if you happen to have fast swimming, low level swimmers..ie bleeding hearts, black widows, or bottom dwellers like cories....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some of mine are planted directly on substrate. YOu must leave the rhizome above the substrate. To prevent them being uprooted or moved around, weigh them down with a small stone or two.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    deviate a little ... guys, does your nana develop black spots on them ? some of mine had it and even the snails can't rid of it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Peter

Are your Nanas under strong lighting?....If my memory serves me correctly Nanas, like Java Fern will turn black under such lighting conditions.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for your reply. I don't have any fishes except Neon Tetra. Will try planting directly on substrate when I get more nana plant.

peterkoh, your problem has been discussed before in this forum. I also have this problem since I tied it on the wood at well-lit area. Algae grew with black spot on it. Now I've cut those leave with black spot and see how it goes. If not, will plan to shift it to shaded area.

Does anyone trim its roots? Will it die if I do it? Within a month, the plant developed a rather dense root system all over the wood. Find it a bit untidy to view.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems to me, the black spots on Java Fern and Anubias are different stuff. For JF, it's more like deteoriation of the leaf itself or spores, but on Anubias, its usually algae.

IME, they grow faster and dark green when well shaded. Anubias is a plant that actually does badly under bright lights. Mine under bright lights developed large yellow spots and virtually no growth.

As for messy roots, either wait till there's enough leaves to cover or put a plant/wood/rock in front to block it.

Read from TheKrib that they like an iron rich substrate.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they are pretty much under the brightest spot in the tank. they are growing well .. it's just that some leaves have black spots. i will i will just cut them off. I had planned for the background plants to grow and provide but for some reason eversince I added the driftwood, the plants at the back all becomes botak and I removed all of them and put in stargrass instead and see if it is light problem as my stargrass are doing well at the foreground.

thks folks for the reply.

Feedback Score
    Sorry Guys, side track a little, how much does it cost for a nice bunch of nana?