Feedback Score

chiller and Killis

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I am new to this forum...

I am particularly interested in the Notho. Genera. I am wondering with our warm temp. in Singapore (esp. these few days), is there any problem breeding them, or even keeping them well.

I am thinking whether a chiller is necessary here?

I would like to hear your comments...

Edwin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Edwin,

If you do you homework and search the internet, you'll realise that Nothos come from area where the temperature can hit much higher as compare to Singapore.

So, I don't think they'll have much problem here. If you take a closer look on my fishlist, you'll realise I'm the one here who keep the most Nothobranchius species Nothobrcnchius has the most colourful fishes among all the other species and they're easy for beginners apart from some which requires some form of knowhow knowledge and patience.

Welcome to the world of killifish Edwin.
    Au SL

Feedback Score

good to know that

Hi Au

Thanks for your feedbacks.

So far, do you have any special problem with any of the Notho. species? I asked because I was looking at some oversea sites and most of recommend temp. between 70 F -80 F for most Notho. species. So i thought it is alright for them to survive at warm temp. But warm temp will cause them to have difficulty spawning. I do not know about my instinct on this fish, because I have limited experience. Can you comment on that?

And also, is there a need to invest on refridgated incubator in Singapore? I was told by an expert that he almost lost a particular population of Notho. when the temp hits above 80 F for a month or so. So, how do you incubate the eggs?

I know that you have the most Notho. species in your collection, probably in Singapore. if you do trade/sell some of the eggs, I will get from you in the future :P

Edwin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Edwin,

For starters, I don't think there's a need to invest in a refrigerated incubator. Our temperatures here are just about OK to incubate most annual eggs. Only certain species require lower temperatures during incubation and hatching.

Naturally at higher temperatures some fish will experience some discomfort. Just like us, we don't like the heat at times, especially when the midday sun is damn bloody hot. In any case, keeping them in shaded corners or cooler areas of the home can help in keeping the temperatures slightly lower.

As for incubation, we usually just store the peat containing eggs in bags/containers. These are placed in an area with constant temperatures, like a small styrofoam box and monitored weekly with regards to checking the moisture of the peat and observing the development of the embryos. Different people have different ideas as to how dry/moist the peat should be.

As for Au's status as the Notho King, yes, he is the King indeed
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.