Country
    Singapore

Picture uploads to killies.com

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi people,

this is a continuation of the off-topic discussion started in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    'Shortman', is there a way to create a 'member-access-only' folder in Killies.com to allow jpeg uploads? Perhaps with a size restriction (like 400 pixels) and to 'expire' in a month?
    Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    Yes, I think it is possible but need to discuss with the "site owner" If it is a temporary storage then the size restriction might not be applicable but would be a pain for those dialup user.
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Shortman, I think we can have a better solution to the problem. We now have plenty of web space, 2 GB as compared to 100 MB when we were with our old host. I'm thinking of giving the password to people like Ronnie, Jianyang, Freddy and Zulkifli (our moderators) so that they can upload pictures to this forum. I have complete trust in these 4 persons and I'm sure they will not reveal the password to others.

I don't know about the technical details though. I'm using Cute FTP pro to upload images. I'm sure there must be other softwares that can do the job too but I don't know what they are. If the guys don't have any such software in their computers, you may have to help them install it.

Forum users who want to show pictures can send them through email to any of the moderators who will decide whether the pictures are relevant for posting. I have offered to do this many times and the offer still stands but as the forum grows, I need more people to help me upload pictures.

Anyone with the password can not only upload pictures to the forum but also make changes to the main site. Ronnie who has many interesting web pages hosted at Angelfire can transfer them to killies.com if he so wishes.

Is this a good idea or what?

Loh K L
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong,

I think it is a good idea - not me having the privilege , but having a central repository for the pictures as well as Ronnie's html pages (blog??) at this site as well.

Shortman, are you familiar with phpGallery? That is the software that is used to power the American Killifish Association (AKA) members only gallery. Those AKA members should be familiar with the gallery. We could use something like that so that the pictures are more organised.

Of course, giving us the passwords to the whole site would be the easiest thing to do. But in terms of web security, that is not a good idea. The best is to have a hierarchy in terms of controllability of the site. Of course, it all depends on the site owner as to the decision, but my proposal is to give the rest of us only the password to upload pictures to the gallery - hence the proposal to use something like the phpGallery.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,

Testing of picture url

I think it work but please comment.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zmzfam
    Of course, it all depends on the site owner as to the decision, but my proposal is to give the rest of us only the password to upload pictures to the gallery -
    Zul,

Shortman and Ronnie are working on something at the moment. It's some sort of photo album and access is controlled by the site administrator. In this case, that's Shortman. I don't know the technical details but I'm okay with anything as long as it solves the problem of pictures being seen only by some and not by others.

Shortman, I can see the picture you posted.

Loh K L

Hi KL,

Hotscripts lists many GPLed photo galleries http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Script...age_Galleries/.

I use Coppermine http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/ . You may also look at Gallery http://gallery.menalto.com/. Both can be integrated with phpBB.

Should you require any help, I am at your service.
    --
    Regards,
    Ravi, Chennai, India

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ravigsc
    Should you require any help, I am at your service.
    Hello, Ravi,

Welcome to Killies.com forum. It's good to hear from you again.

I'm afraid I know little of the technical details but our administrator, Shortman is working hard in the background to resolve everything. You run a very comprehensive web site/forum at indianaquariumhobbyist.com so your advice is highly valuable. I'm sure Shortman will be checking out the links you posted.

Hope all is well with you and your family. If you're coming to Singapore again, please don't forget to come visit me.

Loh K L