Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mayaca fluviatilis - poor growth

Mayaca fluviatilis - poor growth

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, my plant has very poor growth, with very very short leaves and only the top leaves are reddish. Anyone know what this plant needs to produce nice leaves? thanx!

my tank parameters:

2ft tank
    70L
    Co2 : 1.5bps
    2X36 W for 12hrs
    fert : ferropol 1 outer cap every water change to give approx, 0.1 Fe with test kit
    kh : 6
    pH : 6.8

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    daryl, you sure is Mayaca not Rotala wallichi (reddish leaves)? I find these two plants are favourite food for yamatoes and some SAEs. Otherwise your setup seems fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HH

I will second what Budak has mention. I have the Mayaca Fluviatilis and it is green without any red coloration at all. This plant grows like weeds....if you happen to have any reddish coloration, i dont think the plant you have is what you say it is.....

Budak confirm favorite snack for SAEs.....however this plant once trailing at the surface encourages yamatoes snack food ...green algae[:0]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Hi just checked the gallery and yup it is Rotala wallichi tho mine looks only somewhat like it, but I vaguely rem it was as shown in the gallery when I first bought it, back when it was still healthy.... [] hhmm for shrimps I have only malayans. and fishwise only pencil (3 only) and ottos are plant eaters and I haven't seen shrimps feeding on the plant. I really think its maybe some deficiency in nutrients? I really don't get it, it does pearl a little too and grows but the leaves are just super stunted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi HH

The Rotala Wallichi is a very difficult plant to upkeep...well at least in my tank it does...The tips just sort of grow out and it just never sprout any more new shoots....[]
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Try injecting 0.1g KH2PO4 + 1g KNO3 under them (in sunstrate). Wait for about 2 weeks to see results.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi FC

just to confirm, you are referring to the raw form?
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/16/2003 11:32:01 PM

Try injecting 0.1g KH2PO4 + 1g KNO3 under them (in sunstrate). Wait for about 2 weeks to see results.
    ----------------
    interesting, do you try that before?
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

David: mine does split and produce new shoots, but with the stumpy leaves it looks like I"m growing bamboo! []

FC: FWAH..... I"m totally lost at your rocket science advice.... errr what's kh? potassium hydroxide or something? and what's sunstrate?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/16/2003 11:32:01 PM

----------------
    Interesting. What's the advantage over a well buried Horti or Jobe stick?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz,

It is similar but I just suggest to tackle the specific deficiency.

Feedback Score
    Hi HH,

Yeah, Rotala Wallichi is very demanding. It needs A LOT of LIGHT.

In fact, it was this plant which prompted me to replace my PL tubes. Ever since putting in the new tubes and placing the plant right under them, it's been growing quite well, quite red and leaves are fuller. Prior to the new PLs, it was really stunted and green and quite a few stems rotted. []

20ppm K and dosing Fe helps. Haven't used any root boosters on it yet.

Also, this is a pretty unintrusive plant, i.e. if it is shaded in any way, it'll just do badly instead of trying to compete.

Good luck!

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tropica states that this plant's height is from 10-30cm, is this true? will it grow taller if condition allows?

will it be suitable to act as a bushy background plant for a small tank of 27cm height (before gravel)?

Feedback Score
    Just trimmed mine today, it does grow pretty tall, more than 30cm definetly.

A shortish tank will be good, since it will get lots of light.
    I noticed that as it reached closer to the water surface, it was more red and started to have nice side shoots and therefore bushier.

I'll say go ahead and give it a try. Under the right conditions it grows pretty fast. Reached the surface of my 2ft high tank from lower than midpoint in about 2 weeks, i.e. over 1ft in two weeks.

eggz