Country
    Singapore

Mosses from Thailand/Japan

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, folks,

Budak who was in Bangkok recently brought home some mosses from my good friend, Oil aka NongOil in this forum.

Oil thinks this plant from Thailand is some sort of Fissiden fern but I believe it's a Fissiden moss.

This is from Thailand too and Oil thinks it's a Fissiden Moss. It looks somewhat like the moss Gomer has in his tanks, the one he calls Nano Moss which the professor identified as Amblystegium serpens

Here's a pic of Gomer's Nano Moss for your comparison. Don't they look the same?

Oil also gave me some mosses which were bought in Japan, probably by his girlfriend, Nid. This one is called Premium Moss. Budak thinks it's some sort of Liverwort but I'm not sure about this.

The Premium Moss came on a wire net. There were no strings and the plant is attached very well to the net although I couldn't see any roots.

This Moss (bought in Japan too) looks like Java Moss but I can't be sure. Looks can be deceiving sometimes.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The premium moss is the same as what I brought back from HK... The chinese writings calls it Deer Antler Algae..... In HK it is quite rare apparently..... also saw it on some logs in a shop that was selling Tropica and they say its a new one that Tropica is selling.... (Very Expensive....one small log was about 190 HK Dollars) And yes...they do not tie it down on the logs...... I got mine loose form but tied it to a mesh....going to move to a piece of driftwood...wanted to grow it out before passing some to you to identlfy but its a slow grower... only bought a little when I was there....

Feels a little stiff to the touch correct ????
    YOU may like living in a pig's sty.... but I dont like swimming in a toilet bowl....CHANGE MY WATER !!

Feedback Score
    The first picture does look very much like a Fissidens species. Is it Fissidens Nobilis perhaps? I have been viewing many Japanese webshops and have seen that(or something similar) for sale at one. There was no english name beside the item though.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mosses from Thailand/Japan

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb

This should belong to the pellia and it a smaller version type. I not sure if it only found in Japan.
    I have seen it once but not for sale. And have been hoping to get some of this to try out.
    Maybe next year it will be found in singapore market.

nice to know that it can hold on to the mesh. if i not wrong, liverwort/moss if grown emerge they will start to grown onto(eat into) any object to get any water. so that might be the reason it hold on to the mesh.

Mr Loh, if in the near future you are selling to the public, let me know. thanks
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Leng
    The premium moss is the same as what I brought back from HK... The chinese writings calls it Deer Antler Algae..
    Kim Leng, I got a message from Oil and he says the scientific name for the Premium Moss is Riccardia chamedryfolia. It does feel stiff to the touch.

I stripped down one of my balcony tanks yesterday and rescaped it for my pair of Empire Gudgeons. When I took out all the plants inside, I was surprised to find a moss which looks very much like one of the mosses Oil gave me. Ben Yau aka subzero gave me this moss several months ago and if memory serves, I think he found the moss somewhere in Singapore. It was growing on a piece of rock then and I was so busy I simply placed in it one of my balcony tanks and forgot all about it. Here's how it looks now:

Here's a close up:

Loh K L