Country
    Singapore

christmass moss

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

recently had bought some x-moss and I had tied to some drift wood. Notice that some leaflet at the edge turning yellowish, so I begin to worry izzit that the lighting is too strong, will direct light frm my 70W MH kill the moss? Or izzit that the moss will adapt slowly to the new environment, having some dead leaves is the normal syndrom, later it will grow new shoots......how to know whether yr moss is growing ? My water temp is from 26.5 - 27.5.

Need some advice. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Lvanilla

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please read the forum guidelines (aka rules) before the site owner comes after you.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: christmass moss

Quote Originally Posted by Lvanilla
    recently had bought ... I begin to worry izzit...
    Dear Lvanilla,
    Like Choy mentioned (thank you, Choy), please read the stickies to help you enjoy the conversations here better. We have a forum culture that encourage proper writing as a basic manner here. I would appreciate that you use capital letter when needed and use "is it" instead of "izzit", etc. The forumers/moderators/site owner would response to your questions (if we have the answer) after your corrrection.
    Thank you for visiting this forum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fc
    recently had bought ... I begin to worry izzit...
    Dear Lvanilla,
    Like Choy mentioned (thank you, Choy), please read the stickies to help you enjoy the conversations here better. We have a forum culture that encourage proper writing as a basic manner here. I would appreciate that you use capital letter when needed and use "is it" instead of "izzit", etc. The forumers/moderators/site owner would response to your questions (if we have the answer) after your corrrection.
    Thank you for visiting this forum.
    Oops! Mind my language. Here is my corrected post.

Hi bros,

Recently had bought some x-moss and I had tied to some drift wood. Notice that some leaflet at the edge turning yellowish, so I begin to worry is it that the lighting is too strong, will direct light from my 70W MH kill the moss? Or is it that the moss will adapt slowly to the new environment, having some dead leaves is the normal syndrom, later it will grow new shoots......how to know whether yr moss is growing ? My water temp is from 26.5 - 27.5.

Need some advice. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Lvanilla

Feedback Score

Notice that some leaflet at the edge turning yellowish, so I begin to worry is it that the lighting is too strong, will direct light from my 70W MH kill the moss?? My water temp is from 26.5 - 27.5.
    Lvanilla,

You did not mention the depth of the tank but I guess it not more than 2 feet with 70W MH lighting I believe it is too strong for your moss but your others plant would love it, if you can move the moss under shed it should be ok. When moss have new leaf you should notice that light green on the edge of the moss. Moss don't need strong light just some light will do I hide my moss under dark area and cover.

Bregards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do note that SAE, Yamato and other plant loving critters could be nibbling on the young moss fronds too.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    Notice that some leaflet at the edge turning yellowish, so I begin to worry is it that the lighting is too strong, will direct light from my 70W MH kill the moss?? My water temp is from 26.5 - 27.5.
    Lvanilla,

You did not mention the depth of the tank but I guess it not more than 2 feet with 70W MH lighting I believe it is too strong for your moss but your others plant would love it, if you can move the moss under shed it should be ok. When moss have new leaf you should notice that light green on the edge of the moss. Moss don't need strong light just some light will do I hide my moss under dark area and cover.

Bregards

Shortman,

My tank is slightly more than 2 ft in height. But the drift wood is abit tall, so it is about 7" away from the water surface. Thats is why I am a bit worry. Will strong light melt the moss? Strong means how strong? 70W direct is it too strong?

I have notice the moss starts to wingle out of the strings a bit and trying to position itself to its best lighting position, a few very small little buds is coming out. Hope is good sign. Normally, will the old plant itself becomes darker in colour and maybe wither a bit, and have to wait for the new plantlets to estabilish themselves. Is this the normal senario?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Do note that SAE, Yamato and other plant loving critters could be nibbling on the young moss fronds too.
    Hwchoy,

No shrimps and SAE yet but I have 4 rummy nose and 6 red tropedo (look like SAE) have not seem them attacking them yet. Maybe, they attack when I am not watching. Ha Ha.

Anyway to speed up moss growth?

Feedback Score

Lvanilla,

Extract from aqua lighting.

Your MH should be 5000K to 6500K. General rule is 1 buld for 2 feet tank.

===xxx===
    Light spectrum is measured by the Kelvin scale. Natural sunlight on a clear day registers at 5500 Kelvin degrees. Kelvin temperatures less than 5500 become more red and yellow and the higher the Kelvin temperature the more blue the light is. Photosynthetic invertebrates should be kept under lamps rated at or near the Kelvin temperature where the invertebrate was collected. Shallow water species should be kept under 10000K lamps while deep water species would prefer 20000K lighting. Longer photoperiods can not compensate for incorrect light spectrum or intensity.
    ===xxx===

Older leaves turns dark green but not brown. Recently I put my moss directly under Sunlight it turns brown and die off. I did save some and now it is under air-condition room without any light and after one month it is growing very well.

After notice what Mr Ronnie did over the Saturday I now start to do what he is doing. aka Emersed errect moss.

Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lvanilla,

Extract from aqua lighting.

Your MH should be 5000K to 6500K. General rule is 1 buld for 2 feet tank.

===xxx===
    Light spectrum is measured by the Kelvin scale. Natural sunlight on a clear day registers at 5500 Kelvin degrees. Kelvin temperatures less than 5500 become more red and yellow and the higher the Kelvin temperature the more blue the light is. Photosynthetic invertebrates should be kept under lamps rated at or near the Kelvin temperature where the invertebrate was collected. Shallow water species should be kept under 10000K lamps while deep water species would prefer 20000K lighting. Longer photoperiods can not compensate for incorrect light spectrum or intensity.
    ===xxx===

Older leaves turns dark green but not brown. Recently I put my moss directly under Sunlight it turns brown and die off. I did save some and now it is under air-condition room without any light and after one month it is growing very well.

After notice what Mr Ronnie did over the Saturday I now start to do what he is doing. aka Emersed errect moss.

Regards
    Hi shortman,

My MH is 6500K iwaski bulb. Hmm... Will try to see my moss is dark green or brown.

You meant that your moss grow without any lights installed?

What nutrients do moss need most?

Feedback Score

Yes, inside room and just normal ceiling light where it get air-conditioning.

Bregards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, inside room and just normal ceiling light where it get air-conditioning.

Bregards
    Hmm. May want to try one in my room. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    my moss at my 2 feet tank isnt doing very good but its not dieing too , im not a strange alien or something i just dont like switching on ceiling light at night so all the moss get is the light from the afternoon or morning sun. But i usually wake up at 2 .... with the window shaded its seem to be getting light in a way or another and is still alive , didnt see any large growth or dieing . Is it alright if i contine like this ? the only plant inside is moss and shrimp. Thanks in advance
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mosses don't require much light, they occur in shaded and damp places naturally.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    mosses don't require much light, they occur in shaded and damp places naturally.
    Actually what is the normal growth rate like? Mine x-moss seems like very slow too. Buy my erect moss seems to be better, getting denser although it upward growth is a bit slow.....

Thanks.