Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Chek Jawa is definitely too close to the sea to be a place to search for freshwater. I've come across other drains and ponds further inland that may be freshwater, although I haven't really looked carefully. There are also the old quarries that are now lakes, although they're definitely out of bounds. Who knows what lurks there?

I might find a weekend to explore as much of Ubin as I can on bicycle, and although I suppose I'll be largely sticking to the trails, I'll report back if I find anything of note.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Daphnia Culturing

I doubt the quarries got any fish life. Maybe the typical carp and other introduced species but definitely nothing native. Good luck on the hunt.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Who knows , one may even be lucky enough to scoop up a couple of glorious Bettas resting under the water hyacinths in a wild abandoned pond, by using one of those shell-shaped trays made of cane using both arms, lol.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jf1216 View Post
    here the map if u guys interested in getting them

Attachment 29236

the location is marked on 1 and 2 with the yelllow color strench i do with yellow spray
    jf1216 bro, just would like to confirm with you when was the last time you were there? Had construction on both sides of the banks as well as the supposed forested area been cleared yet?
    I didn't seem to half luck the half hour I was there this morning...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looking at those pics, for a moment I thought those are big Daphnia farms, lol.

How nice if there are really such big Daphnia farms here, like those in the Phillippines.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Draka, that fork area of the Pandan River is heavy with siltation for the past few months or so. I have a feeling that the critters may have already gone elsewhere. The section of the river near Clementi ITE may yield some results, since part of it is still undisturbed, especially near those illegal vegetable farms they mentioned in the news.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha as I suspected too. But doesn't that particular area get runoff from fertilisers and the like?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The illegal farms rely on ash from burnt leaves and other material I think. If anything, the presence of green water in the area would attract these filter feeders. I know there are fish in that stretch of the river near to Clementi, so these critters should be around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm if that's the case, then most likely I had just missed them, there were plenty fish in the area I was in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the 1st picture on the most left bank...
    i usually go harvest them there...
    like i say u have to go early in the morning ard 7am ~10am to avoid the strong winds...
    this week i am free except on weekend... i go harvest some for u to anaysle if u want...
    the last time i went there was a year ago thou -_-"
    let me know when u can collect it coz fresh sample is the best

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jf1216 View Post
    i go harvest some for u to anaysle if u want...
    *waves hands high in the air* Many things can happen in the span of a year, so I'm not very hopeful. However, if you're game and able to collect some specimens (plus the habitat water), it might provide a clue to what we're doing wrong. Possibly even point the way, so we might be able to better maintain our Moina cultures and maybe harvest from it to feed our fishes.

PS: Your SMS lingo is showing. Please edit before the floggers come around.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Haha thanks jf bro, Ron's the one who needs it though. I went to both banks between 7.45 am to 8.30am the day I posted the photos but there really weren't any visible nor dredgeable waterfleas.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Incidentally, I got one of the many packets of Moina boonies from SeaView in the morning. It was a very dense packet (very red and abundant). So I suppose one must really master the right cultivation technique/s.

Uncle Ronnie is on the right track though, as he is still looking to improve his output.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Uncle Ronnie is on the right track though...
    WRONG!! I'm fumbling my way around, just like everybody else, and my trek may not be the correct path.

BTW, you really should tell that Notho in your avatar to quit smoking... it is bad for it's scales!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It may be smoking one of your cigs, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    WRONG!! I'm fumbling my way around, just like everybody else, and my trek may not be the correct path.

BTW, you really should tell that Notho in your avatar to quit smoking... it is bad for it's scales!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not so much on culturing method but thought I'd share this bit of info. I did some reading on the web and read about how some Daphnia breeders overseas keep a light source near their cultures for the green water to flourish. So I figured might as well try and leave a light on for half a day or so. I tried it out with several batches of Moina that I purchased from Hong Yang.

Distributed part of the Moina in the bag into separate plastic containers then topped off their water with aquarium water from my community tank, and left my old Dymax LED light from the IQ5 running for roughly 18 hours or so. Pretty much kept most of the Moina alive. If you kept all of them in a single container, they are bound to die off faster. I did 2 containers, one with less Moina, the other with more. The one with more Moina had a lot of dead Moina at the bottom as compared to the other container.

A fellow killie keeper in Malaysia, is culturing Daphnia at home. He feeds his cultures with a mixture of Yakult, yeast and milk. I have no idea what % of each in the concoction but his cultures go into population boom overdrive all the time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    I'm back in the game and Moina ("ang boon", "ang tai" in colloquial Hokkien dialect), is still part of my fishes' varied diet. Who said there's no interest? If only I can keep my Moina culture going...

For those "big boons", and since you're located in the US of A, try ordering Daphnia Magna resting eggs from culture houses. Update us if you're getting good results!!! I'm pretty game to try it again (now that I can't seem to get rid of green water! )
    Hi, Ron,
    I am thinking to do my own culturing, where to get the daphnia cysts?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey guys! I'd like to know some of the results of the past few years of experimentation when it came to Moina monoculture. Seems that there's been quite a bit of difficulty in keeping one going locally. I might be interested in making a university project out of it. Researching on the viability of small-scale culturing on Moina locally. Any starting points? Or any pointers on what works and what doesn't?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by allejo View Post
    I am thinking to do my own culturing, where to get the daphnia cysts?
    You might want to try...
    http://www.moniqueslivefishfoods.co....nia-pulex.html
    or
    http://www.livefoodcultures.com/Daphnia.html

Try googling for "live food culture supply", etc, and update us on your results.

As for "dinosauricon" (please leave a name), if you're linked up to NUS Dept of Biological Sciences, look into the possibility of an archived article (now defunct URL) mentioned in page #1, post #14... http://www.dbs.nus.edu.sg/research/f...ood/moina.html

You guys are making me squirmy, digging up a 9 year old thread...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey!

Yeah my name is Movin and we've met before. When you guys were in Clementi. Do you have the title of the article you were referring to. I'll try and look it up at NUS and yeah I'm with DBS right now.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast