Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Daphnia Culturing

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Beautiful! I like the 2nd last image best... and it seems these critters have 'eyes'!

Kho, thanks for taking the time to get this done and it was worth the wait
    Wait until neck long long

I not too sure that is eye. I will ask hobbit to pass the culture to you while he is on the way.

Poh San, you can feed them with a variety of food ie vit C/B/A then feed your BBS or very tiny fry.

Let us know how your culture going.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys,
    Hate to say this but the recent heat wave hit my Daphnia magna cultures real bad. Except for a small container, I've lost the rest.

Can I have an update from those who have gotten starters from me?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hello,

Some things I have noticed in culturing my Daphnia:

Spinach leaves are great at culturing infusoria on which the Daphnia can feed. The effects are long lasting.

An aged dog turd also works well, but there is a longer lag period, and the culture quickly goes bust.

tt

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tyrone, do you blanch the spinach or just crush and dump the raw vege into the culture? How 'long lasting' is it and have you experimented with other greens? Share your observations with me, please.

I don't keep dogs or chicken now and won't feel inclined to pick up turds. Can I pass on that?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, just use those dried chicken poo that you bought for your plants as fertilizer.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    just use those dried chicken poo...
    Jian Yang,
    I've tried processed organic fertilizer (both fowl and goat poop) but as it degenerate in the water, the 'aroma' is quite "neighbour's nose" unfriendly. Would rather use something from my vege-bin instead.

That said, a small chip from the poop pellet is great for maintaining very green water which goes to feed a microscopic 'drain water' soup, young ANN fry trays and of course, my non-prolific moina culture.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hello

I just tossed the spinach in raw. the snail did the trick. My cultute was teaming with infusoria and Daphnia for about 6 weeks. The dog turd was gone in 3 weeks. Haven't experimented with much else.

Regards

Feedback Score

Daphnia Experiment

I know this isn't how a daphnia culture is best run, but I actually maintained a ridiculously low maintenance Daphnia colony that provided a daily snack for about 10 cardinal tetras for several months.

This is how it was set up. A clear box-like plastic aquarium about 1-1.5 liters was given very strong Hawaiian morning sun filtered through a window and littered with random leaves and an occasional small piece of fruit to rot. It was unsightly, with the bottom covered in mulm and the walls coated with algae, but it never stank.

In the 'tank' were Daphnia Magna, Gammarus sp., and a species of common pond snail (the kind that are pests introduced unintentionally with plants). The Daphnia all huddled together in the center of the tank beating furiously. It was incredibly low maintenance as I never changed the water or did anything aside from 'top-up' the tank water and add an occasional leaf or piece of fruit for fun, and of course harvest the Daphnia once or twice daily.

The culture never 'crashed', but interestingly after a about 3 months I replaced all the water to get rid of the snails which I worried I might someday accidentally introduce into my main aquarium. Upon doing this the set-up was no longer able to sustain its former population of Daphnia, although the Gammarus were still fine.

I have read other anecdotal evidence that snails produce something beneficial for Daphnia (I cannot remember where I have read it but I would post the link if I could) and after my experience I am inclined to believe it. Anyway, an interesting story.
    Gerard D.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Spain
    There it goes my daphniaīs culturing contribution...

I use to keep a nice population of them in a device similar to the ADA nature biotope... a no-holled pot full of water with emersed marsh plants. No adding ferts, and other stuff. Only when I want get more quetity of them I add spirulina dissolved in water for them.

I donīt know if they are the same sp. you are keeping... I got them from a lagoon near my home 5 year ago. With them are living another critters as cyclops copepods and so on, and a thin green plant quite similar to Micranthemum genus, but so much delicate, itīs froming green carpet within the pots.

Every summer I leave one of that pots under sunlight to get it dried. The dried loam in the bottom of the ceramic tank contents daphia (and other zooplankton) eggs and this unknow plant seeds....

I will take some pictures tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Re: Daphnia Culturing

Hi Ron
    Culturing Daphnia in England we would use a rain butt,no agitation but sunk into the butt would be a sack [hessian]of about two spadefuls of horse manure,if you think it needs starting add about teaspoon of brewers yeast,the wait.Another live food to harvest from the same butt would be mosquito larvae,the eggs are laid in a raft about half inch by an eighthinch,look at the top of the water and you may see one of these rafts,they hold between 50 and 100 eggs,if you want very small live food gently put the raft in a tumbler and wait to hatch,they will be maybe 2mm.the longer you leave them the bigger they will get.Jimlen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for sharing all these info..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Since 2009, no more interest in boons nowadays?

Does anyone know where I can get the biggest boons,
    those big red ones, not the tiny ones for fry?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm back in the game and Moina ("ang boon", "ang tai" in colloquial Hokkien dialect), is still part of my fishes' varied diet. Who said there's no interest? If only I can keep my Moina culture going...

For those "big boons", and since you're located in the US of A, try ordering Daphnia Magna resting eggs from culture houses. Update us if you're getting good results!!! I'm pretty game to try it again (now that I can't seem to get rid of green water! )
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You got cool conditions at you-know-where and the "boons" still not booming?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JianYang, the moina cultures were maintained at home. Space is running out at work.... nothing new...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Time to fiddle with a mini fridge a la timebomb?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Pai say guys, country should be sg, not usa as shown.
    Went round everywhere, but couldn't find big bad boons, but only some tiny wee wee Moinas.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Will it be possible to order real big boons by mail order"? Or possibly get from up north Malaysian country?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What's your name, kid? Like I mentioned earlier, Daphnia magna resting can be ordered via post from USA and as far as I know, nothing locally or up north.

It's been a while since I looked out for such things but if you're game, go do your homework and get back to me with more details and links. We might possibly be able to organize a small group order. JianYang too, if you're keen. No point me alone having all the 'fun'...

So... from an 'interest check' point of view, who else would be interested?? If we're able to get this done right, we *should* have enough hobbyists to safety-net each other, harvest enough to feed our fishes and still be able to distribute starter cultures locally.

Grand plan or day dreaming???
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Day dreaming also possible.

I've seen "resting cysts" of a species of Daphnia sold by a merchant from Penang via Aquabid but no longer. The cysts are also being sold from US merchants on Aquabid. Another species to consider would be Dendrocephalus brasiliensis, the Brazilian Fairy Shrimp.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast