Country
    Singapore

Re: Daphnia Culturing

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by antjoey1122 View Post
    Culturing both are serious business, but both need green stuff: green papaya and green water. Just don't mixed up the options.

Sent from my F5122 using Tapatalk
    What is green papaya? Care to elaborate?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Wow, such an interesting and lengthy thread!

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and found this thread during my quest to find as much information about culturing moina.

So far, I've read a lot of differing techniques, successes and failures in this thread and I'm hoping it keeps going.

At present, I live in Brisbane and have been trying to culture moina. Last year I purchased some eggs from ebay from a seller in Thailand. It seemed to work well, but typically, I found the population to grow and then crash. I'm raising them in a couple 25 litre buckets outside (shaded for most of the day) and they seem to be ok with the weather here, luckily. I'm raising them using a yeast slurry.

The population remained fairly low (with a few mild fluctuations), so I went on a five week overseas holiday last September. I came back and there were still some swimming around, but by now there was a large amount of algae growing on the sides of the bucket. I hadn't really looked after it much until someone else here in Brisbane contacted me through another aquarium-related forum, asking me if my quest for daphnia was going well, as he was after some as well (note: daphnia seem to be very difficult to find here in Australia, both naturally and through other hobbyists). I told him that I had some moina, so I'd try growing them again. I put a bit of yeast in the water, but not much happened. After a few weeks, I went to check on the bucket and found the population had got really large. Great! I thought it was time to start splitting the culture so that total population crashes can be avoided.

Now, this is where things got strange. I had a small glass aquarium inside that was probably about 10 litres in size. I used to have a crayfish in there, but for months the water had just sat there. I sucked up a bunch of the original moina and put them into the little glass aquarium, thinking that it would be a great container to keep another population. BUT, within two hours, ALL OF THEM HAD DIED! I have no idea why. Luckily, I still had the original population, but the numbers went down considerably.

Anyway, I was still eventually able to get a starter culture to the other guy, but we're both trying to put our heads together to figure out how to raise moina so that other hobbyists can be supplied with some for their fish. WE're trying a few different techniques with feeding, such as seeing how yeast vs. spirillina vs a mixture of the two works.

However, splitting populations seems to be difficult for me. I had another aquarium (30-40 litres) inside that had a lot of aged water and a lot of algae growing in it (as well as the 10 l one), so I thought I would try it again. This time, I cleaned out the 10 lt one and filled it with water from my fish pond (and some yeast) . Again, a 100% mortality rate was the result within 24 hours. For the life of me, I can't figure out what could be the problem.

So, hopefully I can get some more great tips and suggestions here from everyone!

One of the things I'm going to try is to use manures to try to start new populations. I can get horse manure around here, but I'm worried about any of the medications coming out in the manure (ie worming medication) and affecting the water. However, I've recently read a scientific paper that compared the various manures and it found that vermicompost (ie worm manure) seemed to work the best. I happen to have a small worm farm, so I took a risk and seeded a 1 litre bottle with it. A week has gone by and I haven't seemed to kill the population, so fingers crossed!

Anyway, sorry for the long and drawn out story. I'm searching for as much advice as I can get and this thread seems to be a great source. I'm hoping to get a few more populations started, but getting them going seems to be the tricky part.

My longterm goal is to actually get a good supply of resting eggs on hand just in case a whole population crashes. Actually collecting and storing ephippia is where I'm having a hard time getting information, so if anyone has any tips on how I can collect the resting eggs, that would be GREATLY appreciated! I'm well aware of the lifecycle and how adverse conditions stimulate the production of ephippia, but how are they collected and stored?

Thanks for reading my rant, and I'm hoping to hear from people some time in the future. Once I get some sort of experiment set up, I can post the results here if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

DiverDoug

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Doug,

It's so nice to see someone really serious about culturing Daphnia. But I am puzzled why you chose to cultivate only Moina, which is one of the smaller varieties of Daphnia. I should think one should be cultivating a bigger variety such as Russian Reds.

I reckon you should not have any problem as your climate is cooler than ours. Where I live, we used to see big red varieties in the past, about 40 years back. But these days, the only variety available to fishkeeping is the Moina. In those days of old, there used to be a lot of rural areas where pig farms and roaming cattle herds are commonplace. Not anymore, as urbanisation has completely changed the environment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Hi Doug,

It's so nice to see someone really serious about culturing Daphnia. But I am puzzled why you chose to cultivate only Moina, which is one of the smaller varieties of Daphnia. I should think one should be cultivating a bigger variety such as Russian Reds.

I reckon you should not have any problem as your climate is cooler than ours. Where I live, we used to see big red varieties in the past, about 40 years back. But these days, the only variety available to fishkeeping is the Moina. In those days of old, there used to be a lot of rural areas where pig farms and roaming cattle herds are commonplace. Not anymore, as urbanisation has completely changed the environment.

Hi,

The only reason why I chose moina is simply because it was the only thing available on ebay at the time. Trying to find daphnia here in Oz (either naturally or from a seller) is extremely difficult and very expensive. It would be great if people could out me in the right direction of where I could get some resting eggs for the Russian Reds, as I'd love to have a go at them as well. There could be a great market for them here, but only if I could get a hold of a starter culture. So far, it's been a bit hit and miss with the moina, but I think I'll get it going eventually. Reading through this thread has given me a few good ideas, but I'd still love to hear from others for any advice and successes they've had.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDoug View Post
    Hi,

The only reason why I chose moina is simply because it was the only thing available on ebay at the time. Trying to find daphnia here in Oz (either naturally or from a seller) is extremely difficult and very expensive. It would be great if people could out me in the right direction of where I could get some resting eggs for the Russian Reds, as I'd love to have a go at them as well. There could be a great market for them here, but only if I could get a hold of a starter culture. So far, it's been a bit hit and miss with the moina, but I think I'll get it going eventually. Reading through this thread has given me a few good ideas, but I'd still love to hear from others for any advice and successes they've had.
    @DiverDoug

Getting the eggs is not the difficult part, since online browsing like Aquabid etc will lead you to the right source, ideally in your own locality.

The difficult part is getting to the point of successful cultivation. It has to be a serious commitment to eventually arrive at that stage. One then needs to concentrate one's efforts solely to that in that raising Daphnia needs to be one's dominant undertaking., with everything else eg raising or keeping fish even being considered a distraction.

Since like you mentioned, there's potentially a great market in Daphnia among fishkeepers, especially the bigger varieties such as Russian Reds or Magnas, it is definitely worth your while striving for success in it's cultivation, though that may take years of experimentation and research.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

@tetrakid

Actually, it seems that my interest in fish is starting to wane a bit. At present, I've got a breeding pair of brasiliensis and a breeding pair of blue acaras (as well as a number of convicts). Both have bred prolifically in the past, but they haven't shown any interest in breeding for the past few months. For the most part, it seems that raising the fry is the problem. Now that I have some moina, it might be easier to rear the fry, but making sure I have a sufficient amount of moina would be the big challenge. Therefore, I think it might be worth my while to understand how to get the moina to continually reproduce, and that would include making sure that I could alway have a good supply of resting eggs on hand in case things go pear-shaped. If I could do that, and keep a good supply of live moina and/or daphnia, it could be lucrative to sell both the eggs and live specimens. If I could get a supply of eggs similar to what can be found with brine shrimp, then it could be something a bit more reliable.

So, the quest for me (and main goal) will be to see how I can not only get the moina to produce resting eggs, but also figure out a way that the eggs can be harvested in an easy(ish) process. Once that happens, I can then try to do the same with daphnia (though I hear that raising them in Brisbane will be a bit difficult as it stays quite mild for most of the year)

So, if anyone has any ideas of how to harvest the eggs, i'm all ears!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@DiveDoug

If your priority is raising fish fry, Daphnia is but just one of the possible food for them.

In view of the difficulty and stringent requirements in culturing Daphnia, it would be better for you to rely on other alternatives, eg brine shrimp, micro worms, propriety 'first bites', infurosia, etc. as those would be.more reliable methods than to rely on culturing Daphnia.

Like I said earlier, efforts relating to Daphnia is better approached with the ultimate aim of supplying Daphnia to the fish trade. Since you are going to raise fry at the same time, your efforts in that direction would be diffused, as much of your efforts would then be involved in the care of fry rather than whole-heartedly focussed on Daphnia research and experimentation. Raising fish fry is essentially a full-time endeavour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Actually, I'm not really interested in breeding fish as much now since they don't really seem too interested in breeding anyway. My focus will be trying to figure out a good system to raise the moina so that I can always have a good supply on hand for any aquarists who would want any for their fry. I'd also like to try to find some larger daphnia (ie Russian Reds) to give them a go as well. The problem with importing here in Australia is that customs and quarantine is VERY strict.

Does anyone have any idea of where I would get some of them in Australia? I tried on Aquabid but there were no Australians on it and the American that had some only shipped in the US.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Found yogurt is a good food for boon.
    https://youtu.be/5mPvUkOVTjE

Sent from my F5122 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by antjoey1122 View Post
    Found yogurt is a good food for boon.
    https://youtu.be/5mPvUkOVTjE
    Yup, as boons feed on bacteria, anything rich in bacteria is relished by them thus they thrive. That is why boons often thrive abundantly in sewers and such places. In the past, when pig farms and roaming cattle we're commonplace, there used to be a lot of big red boons to be caught. It would be good to experiment boon culturing with yogurt as the main feed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Bro @RonWill pls whatsapp me regarding the dahpnia amd Walter worm pls...
    [email protected]
    TK.Lun here~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello all

I'm back with daphnia (lost my old cultures due to neglect, and Bern C also stopped culturing his). I got restarted with eggs ordered from the internet (Arizona Fairy Shrimp dot com, actually). If anyone wants a starter, I have groups of 20 young adults for sale at $5. (If you're a friend, just come by and grab some for free.) 20 is plenty to start with - I managed to only hatch 12 from the mail order resting eggs and now have hundreds.

The culture method is the same as before, but I'm taking Ronnie's advice and keeping the cultures at lower temps now. So far they're reproducing quite fast, but I've had premature casualties too when temperatures were higher.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: tubifex culturing

do you sell your tubifex? i am interested

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

diver doug, daphnia magna is easily avail on gumtree

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi to everyone,

I'm looking for a starter culture for Daphnia Magna

If anyone has any, please leave me a PM. Happy to pay for it.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cheeboonyong View Post
    Hi to everyone,

I'm looking for a starter culture for Daphnia Magna

If anyone has any, please leave me a PM. Happy to pay for it.

Have Moina Macrocopa and Daphnia Pulex, can sell you starter culture for $5 each. Interested WA 87514891.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cyeekong View Post
    Have Moina Macrocopa and Daphnia Pulex, can sell you starter culture for $5 each. Interested WA 87514891.
    Hi

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it

Unfortunately I already have pulex and moina. Specifically looking for magna
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213