Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A home for Kermit?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks, I was about to post to 'Non-Killie' but decided that since it's also about plants and substrate, rather than just frogs, here it is.

Earlier on, my kids caught some tadpoles and as these developed into 'froglets', escaped through the ventilation holes and I've been bugged for replacements.

This two fellas followed me home after my plant-shopping at Teo's...

Substrate is Lonestar gravel over aquatic compost, with a built-in pool to maintain a higher level of humidity and maybe 'skinny dipping'.

On the rear left, behind the 'pool' (ex bonsai pot), are a few stalks of Rotala macrandra and some clumps of Azolla caroliniana to be grown emersed. To the right, there are young Echinodorus 'Oriental', E. parviflorus and something called 'Japanese Rush'.

The A. caroliniana is a really tiny floating fern and I reckon they'll be more difficult to remove than duckweed, if it's accidentally introduced to my other tanks.

I'm thinking of a mini-eco here... where CO2 and waste products from the frogs are used by the plants, etc. It's my first attempt with something like this (a vivarium??) and opinions will be appreciated.

More pics at Kermit's Gallery... ribbit...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie, seems to be an interesting idea to use your bonsai pot for a pool. I'm still contemplating if I should use eggcrates for my second paludarium.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

You have just about everything plants and fishes (& frog!... and rosters..). "If there is a will, there is a way" stands tall on you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    "If there is a will, there is a way" stands tall on you.
    Yes, Freddy, the world is not enough. Now if only there's a way to explain to the Town Council chaps...

If I'm fortunate, the next time you visit, I should have an African Grey squawking "Hello, Hello"

Selwyn, the pot was my last resort of a pool since my Mrs took the all-glass low pot for her 'emersed bouquet'. How do you use the eggcrates??

Anyone knows what frogs these are and what such setups are called?... paludarium, vivarium or ??
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you know there is a frog in Thailand (west of Bangkok) that goes "gap gap gap gap gap…". For those of you in infantry you'd know how bad that is when you're supposed to dash towards the minefield breach point, in TOTAL DARKNESS, and there are things shouting "gap gap gap gap gap…" in all directions.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy, if these two 'Kermits' go "gap gap gap gap gap…" all night, guess what the regular visitors will be having for dinner

Seriously tho, anyone knows what species these are? My eldest son wants to google on them but he needs a name to start off...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, they're known as the Common Greenback or Green Paddy Frog

Rana erythraea (Schlegel, 1837)
    SL : 7.5cm

Its a nocturnal frog. From the stuff I read in my Guidebook to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Singapore, the call of this species has been described as a 'squeaky warble'.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jian Yang, can 'Paddy' be taken in the same context as from paddy fields? Do bring along that guidebook the next time you swing by and I'll get the kid to go through it. Thanks.

Never thought I'll be keeping frogs (only if it doesn't grow too big) but ah well... what the heck! We all learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    ...the call of this species has been described as a 'squeaky warble'.
    urm... so does it 'warble' or 'squeak'?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Yes, Freddy, the world is not enough. Now if only there's a way to explain to the Town Council chaps...
    Wah, who's turning the JB 007 record ... What about Head of Town Council? Then everyone here can lay "carpets" of plants and tanks that seems like a warm welcome to the owner
    Don't say I never warn you. That "corner" has a lot of arrows flying here and there, some got hit. I heard you get the first prize . Congratulation! I guess the world is enough now . I am at your disposal, P. Ron. - what about gardener?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fc
    Don't say I never warn you. That "corner" has a lot of arrows flying here and there, some got hit. I heard you get the first prize . Congratulation!
    Freddy,
    I don't quite get it... what "arrows" and what "prize"

what about gardener?
    If you're referring to revamping the tanks and rescaping them, you're always welcomed to be my gardener :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    That "corner" - it's for you to find out. President, if you have a garden and need maintenance, consider me .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Selwyn, the pot was my last resort of a pool since my Mrs took the all-glass low pot for her 'emersed bouquet'. How do you use the eggcrates??

Anyone knows what frogs these are and what such setups are called?... paludarium, vivarium or ??
    Hi Ronnie,
    this url might be the answer to such setups:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...705016115.html

As for eggcrates, these are used to create a false bottom so that water can be drained from the 'land', which is explained in this url by Kenneth K. Uy. <http://home.earthlink.net/~kenuy/falsebot.htm>[/url]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, sure I'll bring down the Guide to "Kermits" of Singapore the next time round. By the way, you may have a breeding pair there. Seems the smaller one should be the male froggie.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A pair How do you tell? No... I didn't flip 'em over to check their organs (ie. if there's something to see )

Size doesn't automatically say it's a male now... or does it? nor do I intend to breed them (unless you guys want frog-leg soup )
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For some frog species, the male is the smaller of the two. Therefore from that, I surmised that you have a pair instead of one is bigger than the other. The tadpoles from this species is much different from the ones you caught the other time.

Do you still have pictures of the previous tadpoles or froglets before they decided to jump ship?