Country
    Singapore

Bolbitis heudelotii's cousin?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    Forgot to mention this 'new find' at the farm. Was told that it was harvested in the forest up north and that it thrives only in high humidity or it will dry up.

The farm chaps told me that if such an environment cannot be catered for, then it's best to have it submerged, grown aquatically and tied to driftwood like Bolbitis.

I've some tied to cedar bark (those used for ground covering) because I'm out of smaller driftwoods and have them in a large, sealed takeaway container to keep the humidity. Will update if it doesn't die :wink:

Maybe someone will know what it is? Album here.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's a Trichostigma fern (I don't know the species), also known as filmy ferns. They are not aquatic ferns, but grow at stream edges and waterfalls where moisture levels are high. Some species have leaves that are only one-cell thick.

They won't last long underwater - nor in normal emmersed setups. To grow them you need very high humidity (misty conditions) or better, a regular showerhead (like Teo's automated spray system) to keep the plants bathed 24/7. There is also another species of fern - Bolbitis heteroclita - which is often sold in farms and lfs. Like the Trichostigma, this is a rheophyte, not an aquatic.

Plants such as these (and many other ferns, mosses and rain forest species) are really the first victims of forest cleaning, for once the protective covering of trees is lost, the undergrowth simply dries out. That's why people can replant trees and introduce macro species, but it takes decades for a cleared forest to truly recover.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Budak! You're a life-saver at times and yes, now I recall... Teo did mention about them also being found near waterfalls, where the ferns are constantly in the fine spray.

I'm working on incorporating small micro sprayers* into my return plumbing manifold during the rack revamp, where the emersed driftwood structure will receive constant sprinkling and home to such ferns and mosses, of course :wink: I'll remove the submerged fern to another container until I can figure out how everything gets connected.

* Kho & I will be ordering the kits... anyone interested to consolidate shipment and share costs?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I thought they were trichomanes javanicum, or called aqua fern.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh ya, i got mixed up with another species... it should be Trichomanes javanicum!