Country
    Singapore

Live emersed sphagnum moss?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    I'm continuing the description of the 'European-origin moss' mention in this post and hopefully, someone might be able to tell me if it's sphagnum moss.

My Mrs said that these were from Holland but it looks awfully similar to my bag of dried Canadian sphagnum moss (for lining baskets).

Here are some clickable thumbnails to reduce bandwidth but bigger pics at the gallery for better details.

Mixed into the lot, there's a plant I can't make out either (good luck people!)
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronn,

I can be positive that the 2nd pic are terrestrial sphagnum. it is the same as those sent to me from Philly.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vincent, just to be sure... are you referring to the mossy-like plant or the spikey one? I just spoke to my Mrs's boss and she says the shipment is from Denmark and simply called 'Flat Moss'

If I plan to go terrestrial with these, how best can I keep them alive? This bunch now sits on what looks like sphagnum-base mixed with pine pins

Any idea on moisture/humidity or temperature requirements? TIA.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

When I was in the professor's lab, I took a picture of his Sphagnum Moss which he said, is a terrestrial moss. Here's the pic:

The prof grows them in a small tub and it's enclosed with a lid all the time. I can't remember the details but I think the prof said that in order to grow them well, the base has to be kept very wet. The Sphagnum will also turn water very acidic.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kwek Leong, I can't find a similarity between the Prof's specimen and this one. Do you recall if it can be grown without being enclosed?

I'm gonna try it for myself and see if a small patch of sphagnum makes it without the humidity (but keeping the base moist).

One point remains unclear... will sphagnum thrive only with acidic water or does it, by the plant itself, acidifies the surrounding water?
    Ronnie Lee