Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Erect Moss turning brown

Feedback Score

Erect Moss turning brown

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, my erect moss is turning brown. What should i do? Is it dead already?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Erect Moss turning brown

Quote Originally Posted by bad_boyz
    Nizam,
    I noticed Erect Moss has a tendency to turn brown at the base when they get too thick. It could be due to lack of light.
    The brown ones are dead. What I did was I removed the brown patch and tied back the green ones to the the moss wall.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    Nizam,
    I noticed Erect Moss has a tendency to turn brown at the base when they get too thick. It could be due to lack of light.
    The brown ones are dead. What I did was I removed the brown patch and tied back the green ones to the the moss wall.
    My erects are tied onto a driftwood. There are only about 5 strains on it. My currently using a Ocean Free clip on light. The size of my tank is 30cm by 27cm by 30cm. The gravel is about 4cm thick.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With mosses, a lack of water flow going towards the moss patch can somehow slow down their growth. I've had great results with Singapore Moss. Adequate light levels also seems to boost their growth, along with good water circulation and cooler temperatures. I'm currently growing Java Moss in a big clear plastic tub without any filtration or fertilisation, just water and a good dose of daily sunlight with the occasion squirt of daphnias to the tub. Temperature in the tub almost always stays around 26 to 27 degC.

Like Gan has said, remove the brown patches and re-tie the green ones back on the wood or platform. Good luck with your moss.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My erects are tied onto a driftwood. There are only about 5 strains on it. My currently using a Ocean Free clip on light. The size of my tank is 30cm by 27cm by 30cm. The gravel is about 4cm thick.
    Nizam,
    Do you have a fan on the tank and what is the water temperature of the tank ?
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Nizam,

Can you tell us about your water chemistry?

When I moved to a soft-water area, I even turned my toughest Java moss brown by adding a little salt to the water. I discovered salt was deadly if there wasn't enough potassium (and probably Ca and Mg) to balance the cell transport mechanisms.

It stopped immediately, when I added a little Seachem "Equilibrium" to my tanks.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CW
    Nizam,
    Do you have a fan on the tank and what is the water temperature of the tank ?
    Yes i do. The temperature is from 24 to 26 degrees