Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Mosses and the men who love them (Part III)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Mosses and the men who love them (Part III)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,
    I brought a few 'new' mosses which I chanced upon over the past few weeks for the professor to ID yesterday.

The first one is the moss which I reported in this post.
    The professor confirmed that this is a not the Taiwan Moss we know of but a 'new' Taxiphyllum species !
    However, the professor cannot confirm the species as the shop owner did not know where the moss originated from

For ease of future reference, I will temporary call Taiwan Moss Taxiphyllum sp n01 and this moss Taxiphyllum sp n02

I chanced upon the the 2nd moss at KingFisher aquarium. The supplier told the shop owner the moss is from Malaysia and it is Christmas moss; but it does not look like Christmas moss or any other moss I knew.
    The Prof confirmed it is not Christmas moss but another new Taxiphyllum sp. (Taxiphyllum sp n03). The Prof kept a specimen of the moss and will try to ID it later when he has more time.

The 3rd moss was sighted at the LFS next to Nature Aquarium. Though the individual leaf looks like Erect Moss, the moss does not grow erect but instead spread out like Christmas moss. The shop owner said the moss is from Taiwan. Prof Tan think it is Erect Moss and suggested I grow it submerse and observe if the morphology changes.

That's all for the time being.

<<-- Part II .... Part IV-->>
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Happened to be at Gan's place today. The mosses are very nice. Gan do ask the Prof to ID the moss I pass to you.

Regards
    Nicholas Poey

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Great pics, Gan. The new Taxyphyllum's are very beautiful. If you're going down to the professor's lab again, please let me know as I have a few new species for him to identify.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    moss are truely a interesting plant , the first moss look like a mini christmas tree very interesting :P
    alan aka zai jin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Mosses and the men who love them (Part III)

For your first photo,
    I might have seen the moss at Y618. In the shrimp tanks, the moss seem to brown very easily. No guaruntees though...
    Last edited by ngrobin; 16th Jul 2017 at 15:25. Reason: Typo, spelling error