Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Weeping moss now in North America?

Feedback Score

Weeping moss now in North America?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello All,
    I decided to do a plant order a week ago and on the plantlist I noticed Weeping moss and Christmas moss. Within Canada, there are two importers that have both mosses listed on their sites or lists. I do not know for how long this has been.

They were given these scientific names:
    Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss)
    Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas moss)
    Can anyone verify these?

It is quite pricey as well; 12.75CAD for a 59g portion (I still do not know how much moss that is). Naturally, I had to order some. The order will hopefully arrive conveniently when I get back from vacation. Until then, any ideas if this is genuine?
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Weeping moss now in North America?

Quote Originally Posted by Slaigar
    They were given these scientific names:
    Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss)
    Vesicularia montagnei (Christmas moss)
    Can anyone verify these?
    Ahem, Mark, your post was rather disturbing to 2 persons on the forum, namely Gan and I. Gan, in fact, sent me a private message regarding your post because he was disturbed that the names of the mosses have been revealed before the professor's scientific paper is published. I don't know if the professor would be happy if he learns about this.

I have never disclose the latin names to anyone, not even my closest friends on the internet but the latin name of the Weeping Moss was revealed to Oriental aquarium by the professor. Oriental probably isn't aware of the scientific paper the Prof sent to a scientific journal, hence the slip-up. But now that the cat's out of the bag, I have to ask you if the latin names of the other mosses, like Erect, Taiwan and Singapore were revealed too. Please let us know.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have never disclose the names as we have agreed not to do that before the scientific paper is publised.
    Prof Tan could have mentioned the latin name of Christmas moss when he told Oriental the name of Weeping moss but I don't remember him revealing the name of the other mosses.

I would be interested to know if the latin name of the other mosses are leaked out as well ...
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    As far I know, no other latin names have been leaked. These latin names are available through an exporter(I do not know exactly who), so any other importer can access these names.

I can say that this has been fairly recent, maybe only available in the last 2 months.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaigar
    These latin names are available through an exporter(I do not know exactly who), so any other importer can access these names.
    Mark, my guess is the exporter is Oriental Aquarium of Singapore, one of the largest import/exporters of aquatic plants in the world. If the professor told them the latin names, then I would say we shouldn't kick up a fuss about this.
    After all, it's just a matter of time before the latin names are made known to everyone.

Gan and I were disturbed because we see it as an act of discourtesy to pre-empt the professor. He was the one who discovered the true identities of the various mosses so it should be him who should make the announcement. But if the names were revealed by the prof himself, then I would suppose there's no discourtesy to speak about.

By the way, folks, Mark wrote me and this is the website where the latin names of the Christmas and Weeping mosses are published. Don't worry about it, Mark. It isn't your fault.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I agree with Kwek Leong.

I visited their website and this is what is shown at the website :

Weeping Moss

Christmas Moss

Both photos do not look right to me !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    I would not trust the photos as the owner of Ottawa Aquatics seems to grab any pictures available off the net.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nonetheless the owner did get the names right. There was a plant on the site that interested me. Some new aquatic fern aka Aeschynomene fluitans I think.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.