Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need help with this plant Bolbitis heudelotii

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Finally found the African fern, Bolbitis heudelotii, at That Pet and Fish Place, located at Hougang Ave 3 Blk 108. Had been looking for it for a long time. Was chatting with the friendly boss about the evils of the LH trade until the mentioned of African fern, he happened to have some bits and pieces in his nursery tank from his previous pruneing and he gave me some free!!!

I tied it to a block of driftwood and put it in a one feet tank with some tetras, yamatoes and javamoss, only 9 watt daylights and a internal filter blowing water current against the fern leaves. Ph I guess is about 6 or so in the tank, will add some baking soda to boast some kh... Otherwise the current tank is a bit like blackwater atmosphere.

I was given three stems of it, two stems dont have roots, but have more leaves, one stem have roots, but less leaves. From what I understand they are rhizome like other ferns or Anubias, so they dont really need roots to absorb nutrients right?

Anyone grow this plant before can advise me? How is the growth rate? How can I make it grow faster?

Also the leaves are hairy, very very fine hairy stuff, was wondering if they are part of the plant or hair algae, the yamatoes are feasting on it, should I stop the yamatoes?

Planted masters please help me!
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My experience is that it takes ages to settle in before new growth emerges. The current batch I have were bought in Nov 2002 and no new foliage is evident yet. Even my reputedly slow narrow-leaf Java fern is starting to sprout new growth. I know it's alive cos it bubbles slightly in the afternoon, unlike earlier batches which turned brittle and disintegrated (cos I didn't have fans and they were probably placed in poor circulated areas. The general consensus from all sources I have read and heard is that lighting and CO2 are not material, while good current and cool temp (<28C) are. Peter Chua said his only started growing after 6 months.

The leaves shouldn't have hair, so it's probably algae. Let the yamatoes take care of it. After that, just sit and wait long long for them to settle.

I have the same experience - took a couple months before growth really started in earnest. The plant was just near the outflow of C02 and well-lit; older leaves halted growth and were trimmed away once the new growth came in. This is a species you have to leave, and forget about for awhile; before you know it, it will be putting out new growth. But not for a little while

Cheers,

toshi / r. rotundifolia "green" - http://www.e-aquaria.com/notes/011603.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanx for the help, guess I will have to dump it one corner and wait a year or two then see if it disappear or overtakes my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just called Teo's, the bolbitis that was suppose to ship from thailand did not arrive... *sigh* so difficult to get it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had started a narrow java fern leaf wall for backdrop. I got the plants free from a good friend. It is about 2 weeks now and not much happening yet, just a little small leafs coming out reluctantly. My idea is to fill the whole back with this plant.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    two weeks not enough lah. Must wait at least one month and leave them alone to spread slowly. I find regular dose of potassium helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FC,

What are you using to hold up the JF? Mesh, cork, etc?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi leafheron,
    if the rhyzome is thick and green, you have a healthy plant . should the leaves be infestwed with alage you can trim them off and leave the young/healthy one alone. in a couple of weeks you should see new fronds comming out. this fern takes a lot of patience and time to grow .
    it is definitely worth cos you need the patience and skill to cultivate this plant .
    i've seen some rhizomes as thick as a pencil and the leaves were very beautiful ... like jade green .
    so don't give up on your fern yet !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tie (one knot per rhyzome is enough) to plastic mesh. I used about 30 rhyzomes, each measuring about 2 inch long (for wall 18"x24&quot. I think 50 pcs should be idea. Since the ferns are long and floating, I placed them 8" below the water level and 3" above substrate.

I begin to appreciate planting on the wall after doing it. I realised then that it effectively add 50% to the planting areas.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    saw a bunch of narrow java fern at Far East just now... cost $25???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those who want to buy narow-leaved java fern please see my post titled "tall and slender".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    did a search.. the only result is your last post and nothing else leh...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    FC

The more I look at them, the more I am tempted to buy a whole pot, expensive or not. The leaves are so wonderful, they are emerald green and translucent, really look like jewels. In fact, I am more interested in fishes than in plants, but this plant grab so much of my attention.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Irn-bru, another way to find posts started by forumers. Click on budak's icon. That will bring you to his profile. On the right side, under "View topics from this user", click "All topics". Browse the resulting list for a thread title something like "tall and slender'.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the help once again Vinz!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Leafhorn,

I do not know the price but it is expensive for sure because it is a slow grower.