Country
    Singapore

Un-ID'ed Salvinia sp. with sunbathing betta

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,
    A friend took this pic of his sunbathing betta on a floater, believed to be some Salvinia species.

He gave me some to ID and after googling, I'm getting confused. Apparently, the Salviniaceae family of floaters looks awfully similar and comprises of;
    Salvinia auriculata, S. biloba, S. cucullata, S. cyathiformis, S. hastata, S. minima, S. molesta, S. natans, S. nymphellula, S. oblongifolia, S. radula and Salvinia sprucei.

What are the chances of someone being able to ID this particular floater?

PS: For those who discards plants recklessly, do note that Salvinia sp. propagates wildly and can destroy natural habitats. The Western Aquatic Plant Management Society considers "Giant salvinia to be one of the world’s worst aquatic pests".
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, great floater! The larger leaves look to be about an inch across! I've never seen this salvinia offered in the US. If you have luck growing
    this stuff, maybe we could effect a trade!

Feedback Score
    I've never seen a sunbathing Betta - is it ok?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) is my best guess. It certainly isn't any Salvinia species I have seen.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill, the large betta bowl was placed in the courtyard that receives some direct sun and so I think the salvinia might be larger than those I have now, which are half inch across and were grown in a 'water feature' that's partially shaded.
    Click to enlarge.

These are idiot-proof to grow and I can pack some of these together with the overdued plastic soup-spoons (+2 sets of VCDs... remember the VHS? :wink: sssshhh....)

Wright, I have Limnobium laevigatum in every tank, so I know these aren't Frogbits. The root structure, little water-repellant 'furs' on the leaves and leaf arrangement convinces me it's a Salvinia species... I'm just not sure which one.

Deborah, my friend's betta is as normal as any other fish, except for it's penchant to sunbathe, much like the Cryptolebias marmoratus that Wright wrote about... it sticking to the side of tank walls and under the lid!

When it feels 'tanned', the betta pops right back into the water and then up again to do the other side!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    When it feels 'tanned', the betta pops right back into the water and then up again to do the other side
    I think I would have a heart attack if I had seen one of my fish doing that! Good to know for future reference
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Deborah, I won't take this perculiar habit as the norm for any sane fish. What drives the betta to behave so puzzles me as well.

Anyway, I've been googling a bit more but still can't find another image that resembles the unknown salvinia. To make matter worse, at some sites, the S. natans and S. molesta looks identical!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    If you have luck growing this stuff, maybe we could effect a trade!
    Bill,
    My friend gave me more of the floaters but this time, the roots were helluva long!

These, together with the VCD 'manuals' and Pseudomugil gertrudae eggs (25 x 3pkts) are heading your way. [Let me get off my butts now & send them out... it'll take forever if I have to wait for those 'Round Tuits' to arrive] :wink:
    Ronnie Lee