Images
    Country
    Singapore

Betta coccina

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Okay for those interested, I picked this fella up along with another male coccina and 2 females to make up 2 pairs. They're splendidly coloured. Not as aggressive as the persephones and just as nice. Oh yes, got these from Eco. Thanks Azmi, if you're reading this. Gan (turaco).. yoohoo! where's the foerschi pics!

Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eco currently has the most amazing variety of wild bettas (patoti, foerschi, persephone, coccina, macrostoma, albimarginata, simplex etc) I have seen! Am tempted to get the persephone and coccina, but currently my setups are not betta-friendly (i.e. uncovered tanks)..... the coccina is a much more robust species than it's usually credited for. I had one male in my main planted tank which competed well with the large rasboras and barbs for food (until it jumped).

By the way, I also got one pair of the S. vaillanti about a month ago... the male will "flare" the female but she doesn't seem to be interested, even though I give them live food treats (BBS and daphnia).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Budak, yes I saw the whole collection of bettas at Eco. I think you missed one species. There was Betta balunga as well. Anyway, my vaillanti has gone up to the big fish pond in the sky. Their tank is currently occupied by a pair of Apistogramma trifasciata and 5 Boraras sp. "Thailand". The coccinas are doing OK but I lost one male today. At least I do see a compatible pair in that tank since coccinas choose their mates.

Feedback Score
    Is breeding of these bettas same as breeding of betta imbellis? (Method)
    Adrian Phoon

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The bettas usually have the same spawning method, as in the curling pattern seen in mating pairs, but brooding the eggs differ from species to species. For coccina, they build bubblenests just like imbellis, though not in the same size in terms of how big the bubblenest is. Species like pugnax and edithae are mouthbrooders whereby one parent broods the eggs in the mouth, much like some cichlids.