Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Can help me ID this floating plant?

Can help me ID this floating plant?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I need help to ID this floating plant. Don't know what is it called. If possible can provide some background information of it?

This is its roots..

thnx!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks similar to the one posted by Ronnie here. Pistia stratiotes ?
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Garrett, spare a thought to those on dial-up and either resize or compress the image further. [It really takes too long to download ]

IMHO, contradictory to what Bill believe, I say it isn't a morph of Pistia stratiotes. This floater is too distinct from 'water lettuce' to be the same plant.

Gan, it is the same floater as mine and does grow much faster than Limnobium laevigatum (Frogbits).

As to what it really is, the jury is still undecided (maybe some of the folks at APD would know).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,
    Maybe we should try to grow it in an outdoor pond (Choy ?) and see if it reverts back to the original form.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Great idea! Gan, I used to run experiments on plant growth behind the lab, along the back corridor, where the area receives very strong daylight.

Will set up a tub and dump some floaters to see if I'm wrong. [anyone else trying it shouldn't forget the platies for mozzie control, ya?]

Maybe then, we can solve the mystery.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Will set up a tub and dump some floaters to see if I'm wrong.
    The cat is out again, I hope it doesn't get killed .
    It is the same plant that I got from, err. . . that cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    This floating plant definitely looks like a Limnobium sp., possibly Limnobium spongia. I remember having both laevigatum and spongia at one point, but I forget which is which.

If it's not laevigatum, could be spongia. Process of elimination.

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Garrett, spare a thought to those on dial-up and either resize or compress the image further. [It really takes too long to download ]

IMHO, contradictory to what Bill believe, I say it isn't a morph of Pistia stratiotes. This floater is too distinct from 'water lettuce' to be the same plant.

Gan, it is the same floater as mine and does grow much faster than Limnobium laevigatum (Frogbits).

As to what it really is, the jury is still undecided (maybe some of the folks at APD would know).
    Hm, Sorry about that loading thing. I am quite a newbie in photography and I believe this is my first time posting pictures. Pardon me. I got this floater from Eco-culture. So up til now, I don't really know whats it's scientific name and its information. I tried to search the net but all of the websites I searched did not give me the correct one. So, need the experts from here.
    As for whether it grows fast or not, I have kept it together with some frogbits and found that it was growing slow. However, I have a feeling that this floater takes in lots of nutrients as my frogbits are growing yellow.

Feedback Score
    If you don't have the software for web optimization I suggest you see http://www.irfanview.com/ and download Irfanview. It is free, small and damn effective.

That is by the way, a lovely little floating plant. Does it grow well under flourescents or is the humidity under the hood murder on the poor thing?

tt4n