Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Microscope local sources??

Microscope local sources??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Ron and all,

This is arised from Kim's microscopic shot of the EXO eggs. And I've just checked the YellowPages and found these 2 local websites:-

www.opus.com.sg
    www.regionsg.com.sg

Is there anyone who knows much about microscope, and can tell us where we can check it out, the price, which brand is good and practical for our context(ie. looking at fish eggs, worms, micro organism, what's lurking around in our aquarium water, etc)?

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Microscope local sources??

Darren,
    There are many brand of microscope. The price range range can be very wide, from couple of hundred to thousands. Other than brand new scope you could also looked for used scope which will be much cheaper.

Currently there is one on offer at yahoo auction.
    http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....8?aucview=0x23
    Web site for the scope offered.
    http://www.wemai.com/category/equipm.../xsp103abc.htm

single piece, with magnification of 40X, 100X and 400X

Brand : Leica, Nikon, Olympus, Mitutoyo, Meiji...

One of the web site.

http://www.mitutoyo.com.sg/product/p...m#projector1-7

Rgds,
    Koh Heng

Quote Originally Posted by darrenlum
    Hi Ron and all,

This is arised from Kim's microscopic shot of the EXO eggs. And I've just checked the YellowPages and found these 2 local websites:-

www.opus.com.sg
    www.regionsg.com.sg

Is there anyone who knows much about microscope, and can tell us where we can check it out, the price, which brand is good and practical for our context(ie. looking at fish eggs, worms, micro organism, what's lurking around in our aquarium water, etc)?

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Darren,

Me too have been looking for them but the price will really really burn a big hole in my pocket.

The cheapest will be this one here.

Intel QX3
    If I am not mistaken it is about $100++. It looks like a toy and you have to link it to the PC in order to use it as it does not come with an eyepiece.
    you can read up about it here http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...c99/rbqx3.html

If you are interested, there is a guy selling off his at yahoo auction sg...here
    http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....1?aucview=0x23
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

wow Rashid!

From your picture, I'm more interested in that robotic wooden arm that you have there...looks like a DIY equipment. What's that for?

Koh Heng & Rashid, thanks for directing and advice.

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Darren,

click on the link and you'll figure out what's the 'robotic arm' is for.

If you have the budget, go for a digital microscope. You might want to give 'COMEX 2004' (local computer exhibition) a visit. I saw a digital microscope which has a fantastic resolution - much, much better than the Intel QX3 - at last year's exhibition. But of course, the price is much, much higher also.
    Zulkifli

Hi Zulkifli,

Thanks! I've clicked... was too eager to send out my post.

I'm actually looking for a digital microscope that can be output to the PC and also save the images. I know the price will be very expensive also. Can you still recall how much was it when you saw it last year at COMEX. I don't think I want to go down and squeeze my butt around, especially it's weekends now.

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The price is around S$1000 (+/-). I can't remember the name of the brand but it is one of the well-known brand.

I did a search on the net and I think this is the one that I saw : http://www.mic-d.com/index.html

Other cheaper alternatives : http://scientificsonline.com/product...cd2=1093663247
    Zulkifli

Hi Zulkifli,

Thanks again for your very useful information. I had checked out this brand Motic from Region P/L yesterday. The Engineer demonstrated its capabilities to me. I was tempted to buy but it's $3000+!! I think I'll check out the Olympus tomorrow.

Anyway, here's a link to the Motic's model.

www.motic.com/ap/eng/products/smz.html

Cheers!
    Darren

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe the price relates to the optics quality. The betterthe optics, the higher the price.

The Intel QX3 (Q3+) uses plastics as its optics thus the low prices - also, if not mistaken, there is no more support from Intel.

The Digiscope uses glass as its optics - so it is a better buy. There are some discussions on the Digiscope on killietalk and one of this year's issue of JAKA carries some pictures of the embryonic growth stage taken using the Digiscope.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Price of digital microscope normally affected by :-

- Quality of optics ( Glass or plastic)
    - Maker or Brand.
    - Country of make ( Singapore, Japan or China....)
    - Fixed magnification or zoom ( digital or analogue)
    - Type of stage, body (plastic or metal)
    - Resolution of the digital camera and whether it is a portable digital camera where you can disconnect and used it as normal digital camera or or customer made for the microscope.
    - Type of illumination ( Light)
    - Software

You could try Mitutoyo SEA P/L and check out thier price. Their price could be better. ** I have no connection what so ever with them, just that I do have some experience in purchase microscope and know who are the players in the market **

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Darren, if you are still interested there is a guy selling off his microscope at yahoo.sg auction bidding starts at $200 brand is Smitech details of the microscope http://www.smitechasia.com.sg/microscopeinfo.htm
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Darren and the others,

I was at Toys r us yesterday, looking for a present for my 3 yr old niece when I saw a few microscope set for beginners (which are meant for kids) and some of them look professional enough that comes in a wooden case price ranges from $50 - 100++ with magnification from 10X to 90X. Just for you info...

Thank you all for providing so much useful information. Most likely I'll be getting the more "pro" type. The Mitutoyo models looks good, but I would be checking out the Olympus also.

Cheers!
    Darren