Images
    Country
    Singapore

Saturday's Meeting (04/09/2004)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Kho, KL, thought I'd start a new thread since the other one was about the previous meeting. For those interested in joining us, please add in your nicks/names to the list.

Details:
    2nd Meeting
    Date: 4th September 04
    Venue: Eco-Culture (Lavender St)
    Time: (7.30pm? Need some confirmation here)

1) timebomb / KL
    2) shortman / Kho
    3) stormhawk / Jianyang
    4) A.Rashid / Rashid
    5) RonWill / Ronnie
    6) fc / Freddy
    7) lily / Lily

Poh San, Au, Sia Meng, you guys coming?

Edited: 010904
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for butting in but is there any plans for a future newsletter? Or is there no need for it since you are all such a tightly nit community (I'm so envious)?

Also, do any of you know a Tan Hong Yee, Charles Wong Wai Mun or Lim Kian Lee? These are all people from Singapore who I've sent eggs to in the past. I last dealth with Tan back in 1998 I think... I sent him some very nice S. whitei.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tyrone, don't think a newsletter is in the works yet. We prefer to keep things as they are, simple as in regular meet-ups. Getting registered as a society/club isn't as simple as in other places.

Don't think I've heard any of those people but then again, I'm still very much new to killies locally. Maybe Ronnie or KL might know them.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Tyrone, don't think a newsletter is in the works yet. We prefer to keep things as they are, simple as in regular meet-ups. Getting registered as a society/club isn't as simple as in other places.

Don't think I've heard any of those people but then again, I'm still very much new to killies locally. Maybe Ronnie or KL might know them.
    I just email Kwek Leong about the CMS installed in our hosting server and I hope that we could publish newsletters and articles for the forum.

Let's discuss during the meet. :-)

Best Regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tyrone,

I don't know the other 2 guys but I know Charles. He opened a fish shop about a year ago but after a few months, he sold the shop off to someone else. Charles visited me once and I remember he mentioned having bought killifish eggs from a foreign breeder. I think they are the eggs of the S. whitei you mentioned. I remember the conversation because I told him the S. whiteiis no longer known by that name but Nematolebias whitei.
    Am I correct about this?

Kho,

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I have no idea what the CMS thing you mentioned does. I clicked on the links you provided but nothing happened. Let's talk about this in detail this Saturday. I don't know if it's a good idea to come up with newsletters as almost everything we know and say can be found in this forum. The internet has, in a way, kill off publications. A few friends I know said I should write a book on Killies. Not that I believe I'm qualified to do so, but who would want to buy the book when the information is already available on the net?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    I told him the S. whiteiis no longer known by that name but Nematolebias whitei.
    Am I correct about this?
    Well... It seems Costa cannot make up his mind as last year they were put back into Simpsonichthys with Nematolebias relegated to a subgenus... so it is Simpsonichthys whitei which is the correct one and I expect that any day now papilliferus will collapse back into whitei. Have you seen the myriad of papilliferus phenotypes? Most if not looking just like whitei present a combination of papilliferus/whitei characters. Of course this is a totally different matter...

I wonder what ever happened to Tan and Lim?

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    I wonder what ever happened to Tan and Lim?
    Tan & Lim? I don't know who they are but I wouldn't be surprised if they are members of this forum. Over the years, I've come to accept the fact that many people prefer to lurk and the only time they say anything is when they want something from you

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Hey guys,

This Saturday I will be somewhere around that area for dinner so maybe I might just pop in for a while to see you guys... But roughly what time the meeting ends?
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lily
    This Saturday I will be somewhere around that area for dinner so maybe I might just pop in for a while to see you guys... But roughly what time the meeting ends?

Oh the first meet I reach home around 0500hrs.

cheers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortman
    Oh the first meet I reach home around 0500hrs.
    Thanks shortman, so this time even if I turn up after 2am, is still consider early? Just kidding. but I will try since I would be somewhere in that area on that day. It's been a long time since we last met..
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Tan & Lim? I don't know who they are but I wouldn't be surprised if they are members of this forum.
    Loh, remember We were at Karin’s place quite sometime back after the gathering? Remember this young man whom was there to get some planted tank stuff and Freddy asked him if he was starting a planted tank? Remember Karin mentioned that he started killifish long before our time? If you do, that’s Lim.

Tyrone, if I remember correctly, he managed to hatch the fry but not raising them.

Charles if not mistaken is in still in Apistos(Spelling!!??). I bought my 1st pair of killifish from his shop.

Regards,
    Gwee Sia Meng
    AKA 08742
    SAA 163
    Fish List

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Folks,

Work has been keeping me very busy but I'm still watching to see who's naughty and nice :wink:

I'll be bringing 2 male Terranatos dolichopterus 'V96/7' from the 1st egg order. The largest is about 10cm, from mouth to tip of caudal upper extension and it's a beautiful specimen. The 2 males accompanying me are about 7cm and for those who'd like to see the fish in person, drop by at the meet. (Choy, here's your chance to shoot the DOLs!)

If sex ratio allows, you might find a pair (or two) of Aplochelius kirchmayeri (Goa Killie).

Lily, any chance of you finding that female Fp. GAR 'Lafia'?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie & Freddy, make sure you bring the self made shisha "personal tip tube". I have handed over mine to Azmi, so the equipment will be at ECO for us to enjoy.... hehehe
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    Lily, any chance of you finding that female Fp. GAR 'Lafia'?
    Ronnie,
    I would appreciate if you can give me some brief descriptions of the female 'lafia' better if you can show me a picture of it..
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily, I didn't take a pic of the last Lafia female before she jumped for immortality, so I can't describe with absolute certainty.

A GAR female looks just like any other GAR female and if you've got more than one GAR species in that same tank, forget it. I'm not about to take chances with mixed up GARs again. I'd rather let the line die off.

[Rong Sheng, if you're reading this, I'm sorry to say that the Aphyosemion christyi 'Lobaye' didn't make it. Of the 5 Lafia, I ended up with a pair but unfortunately, the female jumped. Lily collected 5 Lafias juvenile from me and unless she can come up with the correct female, then I would have lost the Lafia line too

I'll make good for the trust you have in me and if you can make it to this Saturday's meet, I have 3 pairs of AUS 'Cape Esterias' EBT96/27 that you can bring home, together with some GAR N'sukka juvenile. Let me know here... I'm experiencing mail server hiccups again ]
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    I'm not about to take chances with mixed up GARs again. I'd rather let the line die off.
    Wowwwww Ronnie...
    You sure sound serious. The choice is yours cos I knew I have 4 surviving females. Seeing no male for breeding so I just put them into my tank of australes. I've got no other choice cos I am running out of space and I have to give up my 'fish-room' for my parents.
    Lily Choo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Lily,
    I was in the killie-game early and had I wanted to mix & match, no one could possibly stop me. Instead I strive to maintain population integrity as I received them.

Careless 'accidents' happen, bad memory doesn't help either, but when that lapse results in a blanched lot of questionable GAR females, it's no longer a pretty sight but a necessary evil.

If all you have in that commune tank are just AUS and and one population of GARs, I'm sure you're able to separate the 4 surviving Lafias (you've bred enough AUS to know what australe females look like... just put down the mic and grab that net instead :wink: ) I shall await for your good news.

And yes, I'm serious... and I cry foul everytime a population is corrupted :wink:

Do try to make it this Saturday evening, ya?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Silly me. I do have images of the females in the Lafia gallery (see... I told you a bad memory doesn't help )

[img][450:350]http://www.killies.com/forum/albums/GAR_Lafia/Lafia040709female2.jpg[/img]

Not that you need help with the net but if you do, Lily, call me.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    I used to raise AUS and GAR together. No problem telling the girls apart... if you know what they are supposed to look like.

Feedback Score
    Hey Ronnie....

Age is really catching up with me, not only am I poor in memory, my eyesights are just as bad. I took a closer look at the females just now and they all look alike except in sizes and colours. Will call you once I regain my voice.
    Lily Choo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast