Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Killie companions - Breeding the Pseudomugil gertrudae

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    In my experience, Heterandria don't deliver one baby each day. They come in batches apparently, but far less uniform and smaller than those of, say, a guppy. It would be interesting to seperate a single female and observe and see what happens.
    I have done that, more than once, and she does drop about 1 per day, so you have a definite staircase of sizes as they grow out. I agree it would be very hard to tell if several females were at work in the same tank.

Wright

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled gertrudae thread.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    snip...
    Since winter isn't 'due', I wasn't prepared for such temperature fluctuations (48~80ºF = 8.9~26ºC ) and insulation took a back seat (I should have used the polyfoam Hikari box).

snipagain...

Wright's eggs were in film canisters with part of the lid snipped off for the eggs/fry to breathe.

Tyrone, what is the SG for 1/2 strength seawater? I'll try that in a 2nd shipment and thanks for sharing the tip.
    Not Tyrone, but I use 1.010 to 1.015, as I recall, for "50%" sea water SG if full strength is 1.024.

Our temperature here, varies from blistering in summer to cold enough to turn little boys into little girls in winter. This time of year, afternoons will be between 90 and 100F while at night it will go down to 45-55 or so. Our recent cold snap held daytimes to about 69F and nights were down to 32F (0C). It's slowly going back up, and our "official" temperature right now is 81F as we approach the cocktail hour. Maximum summer temperature might be 115F. I remember a very cold snap one winter, when I used to live here, that stayed below freezing for over a week and went below 0F every night (-10F max.).

The breather bag in filter medium in a film cannister was really clever packaging. Care to share how you seal the bags with water up tight against the sealing seam? Must be a trick to it. If you have ever tried to solder a copper-pipe joint with any water in it, you know what I mean.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

Wow... :)

Beautiful fish.
    Actually, I've been searched for the P. cyanodorsalis for my brackish tank, but...
    Well... perhaps, I'm going to change my mind soon or later. :wink:

H. heterandra...
    My single female(from Czech ?) bore 6 fry in a day, on the last of this May,
    and finally her baby bore their fry again a few days ago.
    This time was only one fry, because of their half size comparing with the late mammy.
    T.H. Kim

"Oh, God, thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small..."

Feedback Score

Re: Wow... :)

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    Beautiful fish.
    Actually, I've been searched for the P. cyanodorsalis for my brackish tank, but...
    Well... perhaps, I'm going to change my mind soon or later. :wink:
    Mach Fukada of Hawaii used to have a lovely strain that he kept going for a very long time. I gave mine away when I shut down my fishroom in Fremont, as I recall. Maintaining brackish species is a PITA, unless you have several. Guess I should look for cyanodorsalis and Pantanodon stuhlmanni (my favorite Lampeye), since I already have the special needs of Kryptolebias marmoratus to plague me.

H. heterandra...
    My single female(from Czech ?) bore 6 fry in a day, on the last of this May,
    and finally her baby bore their fry again a few days ago.
    This time was only one fry, because of their half size comparing with the late mammy.
    I think mature females can hold back "birth" a bit until they are too full or otherwise ready to drop. My experience is that the one-a-day births are the more normal ones. YMMV.

Contact me off line if you need to reach Mach. With today's SPAM bots, I do not post anyone's addy to a public forum, like this, even semi-encrypted.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    Care to share how you seal the bags with water up tight against the sealing seam? Must be a trick to it
    No trick, Wright, just practice. I was using the hot sealer meant for vacuum-packing perishable grocery. Took more than a few trys tho, to get it the way I wanted it. Only worry was crimping eggs within the 'sachets'.

Forgot to ask... with eggs, where do the ammonium come from?

My first trial with breather bags was a shipment to Tom in the UK. The album link is here.

[Tom, did you attend the BKA auction? Won any goodies?]
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wow... :)

Well... perhaps, I'm going to change my mind soon or later
    Kim, I'm glad you're still with us :wink:

If you missed the "WTB: Pseudomugil species" thread, the Blue-backed blue-eyes [Pseudomugil cyanodorsalis] is one of the species I'm looking forward to observe, enjoy and breed. The other Pseudomugil that interest me are;

Honey Blue-eye [Pseudomugil mellis]
    Popondetta Blue-eye [Pseudomugil connieae]
    Pacific Blue-eye [Pseudomugil signifer]
    Delicate Blue-eye [Pseudomugil tenellus]

Maintaining a brackish tank just for cyanodorsalis may sound troublesome but it's helluva good excuse to get me some Lamprichthys tanganicanus ! :wink:

Wright, if Mach still has the cyanodorsalis going, I'd love to get in touch with him. Drop me an email if you're wary of spam trolls.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    ...Forgot to ask... with eggs, where do the ammonium come from?...
    Metabolizing the yolk to grow into a larva. Eggs are alive and undergoing constant metabolic change, much like what happens after they hatch. Ammonium is the main nitrogenous waste. Most probably from the yolk.

My nose is too old to be that sensitive, but Tyrone claims he can smell it on eggs that have shipped in a closed container. If it is that strong and pH is much above about 6.5, it's probably harmful.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

:)

Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    I think mature females can hold back "birth" a bit until they are too full or otherwise ready to drop.
    I gree with you.

Kim, I'm glad you're still with us :wink:
    I'm still with you. Thanks. :wink:
    (It is not a pice of cake for me to write a comment in English, though. :sad: )

Maintaining a brackish tank just for cyanodorsalis may sound troublesome but it's helluva good excuse to get me some Lamprichthys tanganicanus ! :wink:
    Wright, if Mach still has the cyanodorsalis going, I'd love to get in touch with him. Drop me an email if you're wary of spam trolls.
    I have started to change my plant tank to native-reef tank.
    Brackish tank is planed for my little mangroves and other small creatures.

Comparing with other tanganikans, Lamprichthys tanganicanus were somewhat rare and too expensive in this country.
    Thanks for the internet, a member of our club started them about a week ago, with eggs.

I'd love to get in touch with him too, soon.
    T.H. Kim

"Oh, God, thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small..."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, just so you know, on occasions some of our local (SG) importers of African Rift Lake cichlids will have a shipment of adult wild-caught Lamprichthys tanganicanus along with an assorted range of wild-caught Malawis and Tanganyikan cichlids. Sometimes they'll even have some rare oddballs for sale.

I've seen such ads before (on other local forums) and I believe I saw these Lamprichthys for sale once. Usually large adults and on occasions some juveniles will be offered for sale. Most of the time, they do come with location codes like most of the other cichlids. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Rift lake fishes are in mineralized water, but the salinity is way too low to consider it brackish, IMHO.

The biggy is magnesium salts must be way high, but they seem to need a lot of alkalinity, too.

This, of course, is from one who flunked with tanganicus by missing exactly one water change. Heavy-feeding active fish in water at a pH of 9 tend to suffer quickly from ammonia.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apart from that, they're schooling species that may require quite a pretty large tank and loads of swimming space. Pretty boisterous species as far as I know but they're easily available here in Singapore.

Wright, I believe if we keep this species just like how we keep the Rift Lake "chicklets" it shouldn't be too difficult right? I have some expert "chicklet" keeper friends and they've always emphasised on the need for clean water because these fellas are shit machines.

Feedback Score
    I have some expert "chicklet" keeper friends and they've always emphasised on the need for clean water because these fellas are shit machines.
    Jian Yang, I believe the "euphemization button" on your keyboard is
    broken

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Apart from that, they're schooling species that may require quite a pretty large tank and loads of swimming space. Pretty boisterous species as far as I know but they're easily available here in Singapore.

Wright, I believe if we keep this species just like how we keep the Rift Lake "chicklets" it shouldn't be too difficult right? I have some expert "chicklet" keeper friends and they've always emphasised on the need for clean water because these fellas are shit machines.
    Correct.

They need lots of free swimming room because they are hyperactive. That also means they are heavy eaters so they are fecal generators, big time.

Two big considerations:

The first of the two is that the bulk of their output is ammonium and not (as they say in Russia) tshidt.

The second is that ammonium ions are quite harmless, in large amounts, at pH of 6.5.

As the pH goes up, the fraction of that harmless ammonium (NH4+) that becomes toxic ammonia (NH3) increases to about 50X as much at a pH of 9 as at 7.

The highly buffered Rift Lake water is fine in an enormous lake with just a few fishes around the edge. It can be a quick disaster in a tiny amount, like a little 100G tank. The fishkeeper must be very sensitive to that and monitor water conditions very carefully.

I believe you moss-oriented guys can cause a revolution in keeping Rift Lake fishes, by introducing plants like Java moss that can actually live in that slop, and thereby take care of the ammonia problems that keep a lot of those fish expensive. Just a freely-offered hypothesis, worth every penny, of course.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright, would tough plants like java ferns and vallisneria be fine in such conditions? I understand that for brackish tanks, java ferns would be a good choice.

I know some people grow odd plants like the octopus plant, aka Crinum sp. (don't know the name cos' I'm not a plant person). Apparently it can survive in such conditions as well.

I suppose other tough plants like Anubias will do just fine. The only moss that I can think of that can adapt to such conditions would be Java Moss. Perhaps it can take care of that ammonia problem. Some of the cichlid enthusiasts I know actually encourage the growth of certain algae on the rock surfaces in such tanks. Perhaps they might be the answer to the toxic ammonium problem?

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, got the eggs and plants today. Thanks much for the plants! As for
    the eggs, I have one fry that is miraculously trying to survive its ordeal!

The rest of the eggs look a goner but I emptied the bags in a readied
    container anyway (my eyes may have deceived me :wink: )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill, for eggs to take 16 days via Air to reach you is one day too long. I was expecting 10. The incubation for gertrudae is just too short at about 6 days, unless I tweak the packing water to half-sea strength to delay hatching.

Will check on the mops tomorrow and if there's sufficient eggs, I'll send them off to you & Wright. My Colorado friend will wait till the next batch.

You guys need more 'bearded' floaters? [must remember to pack in the plastic soup spoons... keep forgetting ]
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Hi Ron,

I'll be in Mexico early next week, which should be no problem, but the following week will be out of town from the 8th until the 10th for the Fall work party at Ash Meadows, where we work on pupfish habitat and get to see the endangered Dace and Pupfish (including Cyprinodon diabolis the Devil's Hole Pupfish). http://www.pupfish.net/dsac/

If you mark the package prominently with "PERISHABLE" my postal delivery lady will call me and leave it in the Post Office so it does not ride around in a hot truck all morning. It may freeze at night, but still gets up to 35C or more in the afternoon. OK? From the feel, boxes in her truck get hotter than that!

I just got word I should be getting about 8 of the colorful German strain of ANN Monrovia. Early production will be promised to the AKA New and Rare Species Committee (join to get on their list ), but eventually I hope to produce plenty for all. These are the ones with the red pectorals, ventrals and anal fins, with blue in the dorsal. Bright yellow and chocolate brown to black vertical stripes. There is a fair pic of this strain on p 19 of Radda and Purzl. They are considerably more spectacular than some of the strains with clear pects and less-colorful fins, IMHO.

Monrovia is a bad location name, for that is just the point of export. They are collected from all over. To distinguish these, the last time we had them here in CA, I called them Monrovia Red.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright,
    I'm dropping off a box of gertrudae eggs later. These were handpicked by Gan (Turaco) when he visited me [it was dusk and I couldn't see].

A pinch of salt, plus a touch of 'Japanese yellow powder', was added to their incubation water and hopefully, that will delay hatching.

Increased water volume but Gan & I didn't count the eggs. The pack with brown yarn was collected Sep 24th, green on 26th.

It's foam-lined, lest Bishop experience another 'cold snap'.

Now, about that Monrovia Red. Dammit, you're really teasing me aren't cha? However, if and when the Reds are in hand, then I'm praying hard to be in the queue. [IMHO, we're missing the big picture if people join the AKA just to be in NRSC and get hold of new fishes]

Do update how you get on with the 2nd package and the incoming Reds.

Bill, I'll be waiting for Wright's feedback before sending 2nd pack to you, together with one to Colorado.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    I just got word I should be getting about 8 of the colorful German strain of ANN Monrovia. Early production will be promised to the AKA New and Rare Species Committee (join to get on their list Very Happy), but eventually I hope to produce plenty for all.
    Good news! I will be getting my 2 prs this weekend at the BKA shipped specially for my by a Dutch friend.:-) I of course have no alliegence to the AKA N&RS committee* so I will soon have eggs available for all (who are willing to meet my daft Aquabid prices).

*There is no surer way to kill any movement than death by committee.

tt4n I'm off to the UK (this Wednesday)!

P.S. don't send emails asking for eggs or fish, I'm yet to have the lovelies in my tanks let alone spawn them!

Feedback Score
    Bill, I'll be waiting for Wright's feedback before sending 2nd pack to you, together with one to Colorado.
    Ronnie and Wright, I'll keep my fingers crossed! :wink:

Also Ronnie, the floaters are growing great!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast