Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bill,
    Using the last tested 12-day shipping time, I think Wright will receive the new 'salted-eggs' around Oct 12th. I'll be darned if they're still incubating.

If there's room for more floaters, let me know.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Always got room for floaters, Ronnie. If you could, send me one of those
    plants that look like miniature water lettuce. I'd like to see how different
    it is to the ones I 've got. :wink: I sent a couple of samples of the salvinia
    gigantea (till we know its name) to a killie show on the west coast along
    with some trios of A. splendopleure Ombe River 99. Great plant for the
    baby tanks :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    If you could, send me one of those plants that look like miniature water lettuce
    Consider it done.

Bill, those un-ID'ed floater morphed to another form but this occurs only in one particular tank. You'll be surprised (maybe not) to see the size and shape of new leaf-form.

...with some trios of A. splendopleure Ombe River 99
    Way to go! The sub-genus Chromaphysemion is somewhat of an acquired taste. Colors are subtle when not flaring or spawning. IME, these are somewhat shy killies, like my BIV 'Funge'. Do I adore 'em? ya bet!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

I got 2 lovely prs of Ps. annulatus Monrovia Red at the BKA and they both died on the way back to Pisa!!! Why them? Why not the amieti instead?...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tyrone, sorry to hear about the ANN Reds. Was looking forward to you sending us some images. Hopefully, someone near you have them also.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Only Jan Hoetmar and the silly Dutch authorities won't allow fish to be sent by post and don't think Jan will be picking eggs. Oh well... I'll pick some up next year.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tyrone, I don't see how silly a government of another nation can appear to someone who's not even a citizen of that nation. You can always get them fish at a later date, no need for going through with the blame game just because you can't get some now.

By the way, this thread was meant for Pseudomugil so let's go too far off-topic.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    I wasn't blaming anyone... just pointing out that Jan Hoermar is the only person in Europe I know has the fish and he can't send fish here because of state restrictions and the getting eggs was unlikely. And that given this I would have to wait till next year before I can track some down from Jan or someone esle...

As far as off topic goes, sorry.

Feedback Score

A qualified "Eureka!"

Hi,

I was off to the desert on one of my periodic work trips to do exotic removal, pupfish and dace habitat maintenance, etc. When I arrived home Sat. about 8PM, there was a message on my answering machine that I had fish from SG at the post office on Friday morning! Arghhhh!!! as Snoopy says.

Ronnie had sent me another batch of gertrudae eggs at the worst possible time, for I had left for Ash Meadows and Devil's Hole on Thursday morning.

The PO is closed on Sun., so I showed up bright and early on Monday to discover it was the "Columbus Day" holiday and the PO was still closed.

I was about ready to post a wail to the Chill-Out forum, but decided to wait until this morning and see what I actually have. At least they spent the last 4 days in the relatively benign atmosphere of the post office, and not on a loading dock in Anchorage.

Just about all the eggs had hatched in the breather bags, and the earlier collection were 90% dead. The ones collected a couple of days later (Sept. 26th) were mostly lively and well. I have a few (3 or 4) of the first batch struggling, but a lot of the later bunch (16+?) are looking pretty hale and hearty.

I diluted their salty water about 50% with my soft tap water, which brought tds to just under 1000 ppm. To each batch, I added a couple of drops of "Amquel" to quickly wipe out any ammonium buildup. I'll do another 50% dilution this afternoon.

I'm about to go out and get a baby medicine dropper full of my thick green water (Euglena species), and give them their first feeding. I'll try a couple of bbs later today, but suspect they may still be too small to handle them. I'll also add some Java Moss (from a Hydra-free tank ) and a drop of Liquifry No 1 to build up infusoria for them.

Gotta go, lots of babies to tend, y'know.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    That's wonderful news, Wright! And yes, I'm damn envious

Feedback Score
    Congrats Wright -- I'm glad some made it! I think I'd probably be on the evening news caught trying to break into the post office :P
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Don't think I didn't pound like crazy on the back door, when I saw lights on inside on Mon.!

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    You'd think someone in there would have a heart
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    To be fair, I only saw lights, not people.

When you live in country this gorgeous, you don't waste holidays going to work, IME.

Teena and I went for a 4 mile hike along the canals south of town this morning, and the crisp fall air was a delightful relief from the hot weather we have had all summer. To be more exact, I hiked about 3.6 miles while she ran 15 and swam at least 2 miles. [Soaking wet britches are a unique experience in crisp fall air. ]

THEN I went to the PO and picked up Ronnie's package.

There are so many babies, I think I'll move them to a shoebox this evening. I worry about feeding in a container too large, but green water doesn't cause much fouling problem, and they seem really active. They like the surface a lot, so I'm hesitant to try microworms on them. If I had vinegar eels I'd feed then in an instant. I need to look for some small ramshorn snails to add to their container. Any remaining unhatched eggs (if there are any) can resist those better than Malaysian trumpet snails.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: A qualified "Eureka!"

Quote Originally Posted by whuntley
    The PO is closed on Sun., so I showed up bright and early on Monday to discover it was the "Columbus Day" holiday and the PO was still closed.
    Murphy's 101 Law applies but I'm glad that some managed to say alive. From the Sept. 26th collection, were there many casualties as well?

Pseudomugil's incubation is really too short but I can't help wondering if a dryer shipping environment would have been better. Let's play 'what if'.

Say I collect the mop after 2 days in the breeding tank. Give it a quick dip into a salt/acriflavin bath. Drip dry, pack and send it out... how would you rate our chances? So Bill, envy not... you get both wet and dry, as will my friend in Colorado... I'm determined to get it done right

I diluted their salty water about 50% with my soft tap water, which brought tds to just under 1000 ppm. To each batch, I added a couple of drops of "Amquel" to quickly wipe out any ammonium buildup. I'll do another 50% dilution this afternoon.
    What was the TDS reading straight out of the bag? I'm expecting live-fishes and this TDS issue is something I'll hold close to heart, for now anyway, but we'll dicuss this further in the other thread.

I don't understand how will Amquel help now, since the bag is opened and local water added. Was dilution via slow drip or... ?

For the gertrudae's first food, infusoria and stuff found in green water is more appropriately sized but how would you know that the "thick green water" is Euglena species?

Good luck Wright, I'll be looking forward to more good news.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: A qualified "Eureka!" / tedious about TDS

Ronnie, if he had used distilled water it would be an initial TDS of just under 2000ppm :wink: Since he has low TDS soft tapwater: maybe 1700-1800ppm TDS?? Only Wright knows for sure

I want to thank you for all the trouble you are taking to get us these
    beautiful fish!

Feedback Score

some more tedious about TDS

Wright, what will be your target TDS for these little darlings: 150-200ppm?
    Higher? Lower? Inquiring minds want to know....

Ronnie, did you ever get a TDS meter? I still have to get one that goes to
    9999ppm. The one I have won't measure saltwater

Feedback Score

Re: A qualified "Eureka!"

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    I don't understand how will Amquel help now, since the bag is opened and local water added. Was dilution via slow drip or... ?
    Dilution was by adding slightly warmed tap water all at once to approximately double the volume. I used a "finger thermometer" to match temperatures, and tried to have the new water slightly warmer as they were a bit cold as received.

All shipping water will have high ammonium. If pH is very low, no problem. Adding tap water, like mine, is sure to raise pH some, and more ammonium can convert to deadly ammonia. The "Amquel" just assures that it is all tied up and connot burn the babies.

As a general rule, all new fish bags should get a squirt of Amquel (Prime is way too concentrated until you dilute it way down).

Again, as a general guideline, tds change of more than 2X should be avoided. Unless one starts with nearly distilled water (in the shipping bag), a 50% dilution will usually stay within that range. tds is a VERY rough thing, so detailed amounts are of no great concern. I got a reading of about 950 ppm after doubling the volume of shipping water. My tap water is only 85 ppm (essentially distilled compared to your shipping water) so your original tds may have been in the neigborhood of 1800-2000 ppm. My meter only reads to 999 ppm, so I could not measure your water before diluting it. [I really need to find my hygrometer or get a new one!]

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    For the gertrudae's first food, infusoria and stuff found in green water is more appropriately sized but how would you know that the "thick green water" is Euglena species?
    Several ways. A prime one is that it never settles out, so is some kind of swimming green flagellate, and Euglena is the more likely one. A microscope is needed to be sure, and mine are all packed away.

mas tardes

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

Re: some more tedious about TDS

Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    Wright, what will be your target TDS for these little darlings: 150-200ppm?
    Higher? Lower? Inquiring minds want to know....

Ronnie, did you ever get a TDS meter? I still have to get one that goes to
    9999ppm. The one I have won't measure saltwater
    I'll raise nearly all my fish in my tap water. As long as it isn't too low in essential electrolytes (it isn't), as that is the only way to go. Simplifies water changes no end!

9999 still will not read sea water, will it? When I get above 999, I go to specific gravity, and shoot for 1.024 for sea water and 1.010 to 1.015 for 50% sea water (brackish). That's what I have used for Pantanodons and Ps. cyanodorsalis.

Wright

PS. missed the answer to one of Ron's questions. The Sept. 26 group had essentially no dead that I spotted. All were surviving this AM. Now it is up to me to not kill them, I guess. Count approached 20 this afternoon.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score

Re: some more tedious about TDS

9999 still will not read sea water, will it?
    Ummm, doh, I thought it would Guess I will have to get a hydrometer from the local-yokel winemaking suppliers :wink:

PS. missed the answer to one of Ron's questions. The Sept. 26 group had essentially no dead that I spotted. All were surviving this AM. Now it is up to me to not kill them, I guess. Count approached 20 this afternoon.
    That's certainly enough to get you started! Good luck, Wright, and keep us posted!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast