Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A. amoenum Sakbeyeme

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It is always a good idea to change water of incubating egg dishes specificly to induce hatching. Fresh water has less junk in it and carries more oxygen that can stimulate hatching. Stirring also helps.

You should float those eggs tubs in your cooled tank.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Update as on Sep 17th 1pm;
    Egg-Tray (1) 8/pkt - Found 6 eggs
    090410 x 2 fry (KO'ed)
    bal 3 eggs + 1 fungused, no fry.
    090414 x 3 fry
    (2 shaken fry KO'ed 040914)
    (1 shaken fry KO'ed 040916)
    Zero egg balance Zero survivor

Egg-Tray (2) 8/pkt - Found 7 eggs
    040910 x 3 fry (KO'ed)
    040913 x 1 fry [in Grow-out Tray 2]
    bal 3 eggs
    040914 x 1 fry
    bal 2 eggs

040916 bal 1 good egg + 1 fungused

Egg-Tray (3) 12/pkt - Found 13 eggs
    040909 x 3 fry (KO'ed)
    040910 x 7 fry (KO'ed)
    bal 3 eggs
    040914 x 1 fry
    bal 2 eggs

040916 x 1 'Egg-headed fry' (KO'ed) [see pic]
    040917 x 1 fry
    Zero egg balance

Grow-out Tray #2 & 3 consolidated with Live fry count = 4

Guys, this is what I've been experiencing... fry having shell-trouble and this one went through forced-hatching. Unfortunately, it was gone by the time I checked on it.

I have one good egg left and instead of tending to multiple trays of a few fry, I'll be consolidating all surviving fry into one tray. It's been a harrowing experience and I'm hoping that Kwek Leong gets better results. Judging from his earlier pic, with egg sac intact and slightly curved, I doubt it'll survive past 3 days.

Kwek Leong, any new updates from your end?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    This is the danger with importing non-annual eggs. Shipping the eggs incurs a lot of stress and proper development is hinderred. Your fry are hatching too soon. This could be from the heat or there being too little oxygen in the water.

The results are partly encouraging. You got healthy eggs accross to Singapore. You should try again but leave the fry hatching to KL with the cooler tank.

I'm sure you will be able to establish a colony.

To beat the heat the fish should be fed cyclops and mysis as they have a high unsaturated lipid profile that should in theory keep them healthy.

Aph. amoenum is more of a transfrontier species though and may tolerate heat better than other cameronense types. It is found on the forest border.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    It's been a harrowing experience and I'm hoping that Kwek Leong gets better results. Judging from his earlier pic, with egg sac intact and slightly curved, I doubt it'll survive past 3 days.
    Yep, when I saw them, more premies, I knew they didn't have much of a chance. It's too bad they don't make "Isolettes" for fish premies :wink:
    Ron, it still might shake out to where you have a trio, or at least a pair!

Tyrone's idea of floating the egg trays in KL's cooled tank is a very good one. Feeding mysis and cyclops, would be worth a try (I'm gonna watch
    the old "7th Voyage of Sinbad" again to see about the cyclops just
    love those old Harryhausen special effects)--but hope the theory holds.

The times I got fry in my tank were during colder months when the tanks
    were routinely 22-24C. But as I said before, I've had the tanks up to near
    30C this summer with no untoward results (using de Bruyn filter and room temps in the high 80s). I've only gotten a 2degree difference in cooling
    using de Bruyn filters, but have never seen more active, lively fish. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    To beat the heat the fish should be fed cyclops and mysis as they have a high unsaturated lipid profile that should in theory keep them healthy
    Tyrone,
    If you're referring to freshwater mysis, Mysis relicta, then it isn't available locally, be it live or frozen packs. Nor is it possible to culture them as these are native to glacial lakes (meaning cold, no... make that VERY COLD water!)

Other suggestions perhaps?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Can't get mysis... cyclops would do, but maybe also deep sea shrimp and krill mashed up. The hotter the way, the more energy the fish needs. So it needs more fats and protein.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    The times I got fry in my tank were during colder months when the tanks were routinely 22-24C. But as I said before, I've had the tanks up to near 30C this summer with no untoward results (using de Bruyn filter and room temps in the high 80s). I've only gotten a 2degree difference in cooling using de Bruyn filters, but have never seen more active, lively fish. :wink:
    Bill,
    I'm in the final leg of revamping the return plumbing manifold and will incorporate de Bruyn filter, wet by pre-UV water via a rotating spraybar, like those used in sumps. Pump and UV units are out of the sump and hopefully, this rig will lower the temp a tad from the present average of 26șC.

It's tough to scratch out a pair from 3 fry but I'm hopeful. At least they look ok and eating paramecium, baby daphnia (moina perhaps?) and bbs.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    If you have Daphnia then you should be fine. Some cyclops now and then and the fish should stay healthy,

Feedback Score
    Bill,I'm in the final leg of revamping the return plumbing manifold and will incorporate de Bruyn filter, wet by pre-UV water via a rotating spraybar, like those used in sumps. Pump and UV units are out of the sump and hopefully, this rig will lower the temp a tad from the present average of 26șC.
    Ronnie, hope to see pics of your setup when completed :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill, I've taken pics as I work. When it's 90% done, I'll be uploading images. You might ask, why 90%?

Was planning to order some stuffs* from Aquatic Eco-Systems but there was a catch... at checkout, they stated, "Due to the high cost of processing, AES is unable to fill international orders totaling less than $500.00" [oh shoot!]

In case anyone want to hop in, to meet the minimum order, here're some links that folks might wanna go through [No, I'm not ordering all these items ]

Plumbing » Small Valves

PVC Fittings

Plumbing » PVC Fittings » UNION (Slip x Slip) Schedule 80, with O-Ring

Air Fittings

Screw Clamps

Mini Egg Hatching Jar

Conical Egg Hatching Jar

Shrimpery Kit

Mini-Hatching Kit

Brine Shrimp Net

Rotifer Eggs

Brine Shrimp Hatch & Feeder *

Polyester Mesh Bags

Economy Prefilter Boxes *

Spray Bars, Rotating *

Wet/Dry Accessories, Siphon “U” Tube

No affiliation, ya? Just wanted to one-stop shop* :wink:

The manifold is going ahead but the de Byne filters will not kick in until I get those rotating spraybars.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, you don't need to go that far to get rotating spraybars. Locally, there's a product made for powerheads to enable a rotating motion when it comes to water flow. This was originally made for powerheads to create a churning effect in the water, much like ocean currents. This product can easily be adapted to your uses.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, AES is right next door to me (Florida) if they haven't been laid to
    waste by dear Ivan. You can always have it sent to me and I can lob it
    to you :wink: BTW, you guys get your SAA order yet?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, Ronnie,

I'm afraid there's only one egg and one fry left. The remaining fry looks very weak so I'm not hopeful.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill, I'm down to 2 fry in the grow-out tray, at 7mm & 5mm. There isn't any further hatching to report except that the two fry are normal and eating well.

The 8"x3"H square tray is ample for more fry but these two will move to larger quarters [12"L x10"W x 5"H] this weekend and be tankmates to Ps. gertrudae. A larger tray, with potted emersed plants, is more stable and easier to care for than many small trays.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Let's pray for a pair, Ronnie!

Best of Luck! :wink:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123