Advertise here
    Here's a pic from Chuck Nishihira, Ronnie and gang,

Chuck hopes to find more that will better display the brilliant neon-blue
    of these fish. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Beautiful!! With great colours
    Adrian Phoon

Feedback Score
    Notice the brilliant yellow in the tail? Give them a patch of light near some plants or a spawning site and in time they should come out and dance there. The blue will really show up then!

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill,
    Can't wait to see more pics!! <drool>

Meanwhile... the eggs arrived Sep 8th.

8 eggs x 2 pkts - collected Aug 24th
    12 eggs x 1 pkt - collected Aug 24th
    12 eggs x 1 pkt - collected Aug 27th
    Can't really see 'em eggs. D*mn, I need new glasses!

Packets marked (1)~(4) and dunked in separate containers.

As I wanted to check readily on the embryol development, eggs were sorted out with a baster, into another set of "Egg Trays". There might be a couple more eggs hidden in the peat but whatever I can find, are indicated on squarish labels (at left of container).

Just prior to post, 3 fry were transferred from "Egg Tray (3)" to grow-out container. Egg-sac still evident but I added a light squirt of 'live-concoction' anyway (microworms, daphnia & paramecium). Ramhorn snails will have to wait till fry are free-swimming.

Kwek Leong, as these were non-annuals, I couldn't wait for you to respond to my call for packet collection, so I dunked them. You can pick up the fry when they're stable.

Further updates will follow.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Wow, Ron, fry already! Good thing you dunked them :wink: You are correct that they are slow to mature. To light up the electric blue it is
    best to have some good side lighting: I have the tank mine are in, across
    from north and east windows. They give me quite a show at sunrise!
    These are undemanding easy keepers that should like SG's soft water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie,

I'll drop by your place this Saturday to pick up some fry from you. The fish is beautiful.

Bill, many thanks for sending the eggs. We owe you big time.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by farang9
    Wow, Ron, fry already! Good thing you dunked them :wink: You are correct that they are slow to mature. To light up the electric blue it is
    best to have some good side lighting: I have the tank mine are in, across
    from north and east windows. They give me quite a show at sunrise!
    These are undemanding easy keepers that should like SG's soft water.
    Bill, I dunked them based on my experiments with N'sukka eggs-in-mop, incubated damp in a plastic bag without water, for 2 weeks. That's pretty darn close to the Sakbayeme's incubation in peat (Aug 24th~Sep 8th).

My gut feeling tells me that growth rate and maturity, is close to the primigenium, striatum, xiphidius and exigoideum, which is too d*mn slow! I'll ball-park ready-to-spawn time frame in about 8 months (unless your observation/experience say otherwise)

Kwek Leong, I've been wanting to ask if you know of any experienced fish-keeper, be him/her a member of this forum or not, to co-raise the Sakbayeme. We really need to spread out the risks and I'm willing to do a 3~4 way distribution.

Fry raised in different water parameters may (or may not) give rise to balanced sex ratios, which we need. Disease is another concern (I've a recent batch of Goa Killies that were hit with the 'come-in-the-anus' worm and have destroyed them... )

Guys, I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Fellow local forumers who feel they're up to the task, are welcomed to participate (subjected to fry availability, and Bill & Kwek Leong's approval, of course).

KL, if we have more eggs than fry this Saturday, you'll have to take some unhatched ones too, which may not be a bad idea as the juggling on the way home works like 'forced-hatching'.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Fry raised in different water parameters may (or may not) give rise to balanced sex ratios, which we need. Disease is another concern (I've a recent batch of Goa Killies that were hit with the 'come-in-the-anus' worm and have destroyed them... )
    Feed the fish with a food mix with added fresh garlic. Go see: http://www.thebomb.clara.co.uk/paste.html for a good food recipe.

Keep the fish cool in soft water. Feed well, do lots of water changes (50% per day) and you should do well. You should get mature fish in about 6 months.

good luck

Feedback Score
    Bill, I dunked them based on my experiments with N'sukka eggs-in-mop, incubated damp in a plastic bag without water, for 2 weeks. That's pretty darn close to the Sakbayeme's incubation in peat (Aug 24th~Sep 8th).
    Ron, that should be spot-on for timing.

My gut feeling tells me that growth rate and maturity, is close to the primigenium, striatum, xiphidius and exigoideum, which is too d*mn slow! I'll ball-park ready-to-spawn time frame in about 8 months (unless your observation/experience say otherwise)
    Nope, 8 months is about right. Tyrone's feeding regimen and water changing would enhance the growth. I changed water every other day
    and didn't feed garlic (no vampires in my area ) They like soft acid
    water (my tapwater is medium hard, combined hardness is 14). I'm thinking you guys will have very good luck raising these. :wink:

Fellow local forumers who feel they're up to the task, are welcomed to participate (subjected to fry availability, and Bill & Kwek Leong's approval, of course).
    Ronnie, it is yours and KL's discretion on these, not mine. That's SOP on anything I send over :wink:

KL, if we have more eggs than fry this Saturday, you'll have to take some unhatched ones too, which may not be a bad idea as the juggling on the way home works like 'forced-hatching'.
    Cool idea!

Good luck, fellas!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill, a quick update;

Egg-Tray (1) 8/pkt - Found 6 eggs
    090410 x 2 fry

Egg-Tray (2) 8/pkt - Found 7 eggs
    040910 x 3 fry

Egg-Tray (3) 12/pkt - Found 13 eggs
    040909 x 3 fry (KO'ed)
    040910 x 7 fry

Egg-Tray (4) 12/pkt - Found 11 eggs
    No fry as yet

The earlier fry from 'Tray (3)' didn't make it and wasn't free-swimming the last time I looked (premature hatch perhaps?). Still checking on cause but until I know why, the new found fry were transferred into 'Grow-Out Tray (2)'.

More pics uploaded to the A. amoenum 'Sakbayeme' album.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    Feed the fish with a food mix with added fresh garlic. Go see: http://www.thebomb.clara.co.uk/paste.html for a good food recipe.

Keep the fish cool in soft water. Feed well, do lots of water changes (50% per day) and you should do well. You should get mature fish in about 6 months.

good luck
    Tyrone, have you personally used the recipe to good effect? I did a similar mix several years ago, but using dried shrimp mixed with Tetrabits and some flakefood. Mashed everything using a stone pounder with a plastic wrap over it and mixed it with water. The fishes loved it. Back then I didn't have killies but my fishes (tetras and the like), ate it with gusto.

Ron, I look forward to seeing little AMO Sakbayeme growing up in your tanks several weeks from now.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Gosh, Ron, 12 fry already! That's great! The first 3 were probably premies,
    that's the breaks. Nice gallery you got going for these fish...what's the
    floating plant in tray 2B? Curious, nice floater and will provide protection
    of smaller fry from bigger fry :wink:

Chuck has to hook up an old computer to download the photos I mentioned
    --Hope to hear from him soon!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bill,
    If it's possible, I'd like to write up a pictoral where we're talking about the next generation but...

meanwhile,
    ...what's the floating plant in tray 2B? Curious, nice floater and will provide protection of smaller fry from bigger fry
    As mention in the gertrudae and Sun-bathing Betta thread, you've got some heading your way. Have fun with 'em.

I'll be waiting patiently for more of Chuck's images and do thank him on our behalf, for sharing them in the forum.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    As mention in the gertrudae and Sun-bathing Betta thread, you've got some heading your way. Have fun with 'em.
    Umm, dumkin Bill kinda glossed over the sunbathing betta post You're sending 3 packets of 25 eggs each? Won't I be, as the Texans say 'all broke out' in rainbows? I could split those with Wright, but I may not have enough time to bounce them back to the Left Coast before they hatch out. The floater is way cool, looks like salvinia gigantia

Ronnie, for S's and G's (sh*ts and giggles) could you do a TDS reading
    on your rainbow tank? Thanks.

The SAA order will soon be on its way :wink:

I'll be waiting patiently for more of Chuck's images and do thank him on our behalf, for sharing them in the forum.
    I'll contact Chuck this weekend.

Also want to thank Edwin Hartle of Indiana whom I got the eggs from, who sent an extra 24 eggs! That windfall was due to a buyer that didn't supply him with an address I'm currently conditioning one of my pairs to Eddies' specs and hope to have some eggs. I've gotten 5 teenagers using the permanent planted tank method, but Chuck Nishihira needs some females (lost all of his when he visited Peru recently).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Umm, dumkin Bill kinda glossed over the sunbathing betta post You're sending 3 packets of 25 eggs each?
    Bill, you read correct. Two bags of 25's each collected Sept 2nd and one bag of 25's collected Sept 6th. A total of 75 eggs and it's a case of 'the more the merrier'. You should know how I hate those bag of 12's, where chances are I'll end up with a single fry Gimme your feedback when the package arrives... it's part of a write-up I'm planning in the pipeline.

Won't I be, as the Texans say 'all broke out' in rainbows? I could split those with Wright
    You don't have to bounce 'em around. Wright has his gertrudae's and floaters on the way too :wink: [I sent out his package at 4am, while the PO was closed. How could that be?... more on that later]

Ronnie, for S's and G's (sh*ts and giggles) could you do a TDS reading on your rainbow tank?
    TDS Whatzzat Bill, I don't have anything to measure stuffs like that... I just keep fishes :wink:

If Edwin and Chuck are reading this, my thanks for healthy eggs and great images.

Bill, I owe you big time for rigging up the SAA order, plus the other times I bugged you... let's see how we can even the score. Anyway, twiddling with annuals will be like going back to 'the good 'ol days' when I first started with killies. Have to say I like Aphyosemions better :wink:
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Tyrone, have you personally used the recipe to good effect? I did a similar mix several years ago, but using dried shrimp mixed with Tetrabits and some flakefood. Mashed everything using a stone pounder with a plastic wrap over it and mixed it with water. The fishes loved it. Back then I didn't have killies but my fishes (tetras and the like), ate it with gusto.
    Hi Stormhawk

I have not personally used it but I was using beef heart with garlic (as used for baby discus) and al the fish took it even the more picky eaters like N. sp. aff melanospilus. Garlic makes any food irresistable...

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, for S's and G's (sh*ts and giggles) could you do a TDS reading on your rainbow tank? TDS Whatzzat Bill, I don't have anything to measure stuffs like that... I just keep fishes :wink:
    Since Wright is the one that got a bunch of us AKA'ers to buy the Hanna
    TDS meter when it was offered for $14.95, I'm gonna let him explain the
    benefits: "A TDS meter is your most important diagnostic instrument in
    discerning what is going on in your tankwater" maybe not verbatim, but that's the gist of it :wink: [* See footnote]

Tyrone, you got me sold on trying garlic and beefheart!

Gotta get ready for work, take care, guys!

[*] Suggested reading:
    Total dissolved solids revisited-- tds and test-kit comments

Feedback Score
    Actually... I would feed beef heart willy-nilly. I only found it of use on Nothos and tropical fish (i.e. fish that like 30°C). I do not suggest it for Aphyosemion types.

Nothos live short so no-one will cry if they loose a week or 6 being fed beef heart...

I can recommend garlic for everyone.

tt4n

Feedback Score
    Hi folks, got more pics from Chuck!

I think the pictures will explain my rapture for them. When Chuck offered
    these on Aquabid in 2002, I just had to have them!

Feedback Score
    To quote by silly self:
    Actually... I would feed beef heart willy-nilly.
    Read: I would not feed beef hear willy-nilly.

sorry for the confusion. I'm stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast