Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Nice clump of terrestrial moss by my mailbox!

Feedback Score

Nice clump of terrestrial moss by my mailbox!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I found this by my mailbox and pulled it up and added a bit extra substrate and a bit of water in a little container.

Will terrestrial mosses die if submerged? Or, are all mosses either/or aquatic/terrestrial?
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Most the terrestrial mosses I've tried to convert have died, but they were all semi-aquatic, I looked in a mosses identification book to help me figure out if they could survive submerged. Good Luck.
    Ryan aka wicked_good_guppies

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ryan -- my guess is it won't survive submersed. I'll just leave it emersed; I really like it
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Deborah, you can leave it emersed but keep the moisture in. Ronnie had gotten good results leaving it in a plastic tank with a plastic wrap over the top. Misting the moss lightly every now and then will keep them happy.

Alternatively, if you really want to see whether they'll survive submerged, take a small sample of the mosses and leave it submerged. They'll be the guinea pigs for your experiment on whether they'll adapt to a submersed condition. In that way you need not have your whole clump die on you should the submerged experiment fail. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Deborah,

As far as I know, most mosses are terrestrial. Only a few are aquatic or semi-aquatic. But whatever it is, your moss looks nice.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thank you Stormhawk and Loh KL. I will keep you all updated if it survives. It is in a little former-Betta hex container, so it is covered. I'll keep the water level so a little is under water and a the majority is above and see how that works.
    Deborah

Feedback Score
    It does not appear to like being submerged or even too wet Most has died but I drained the water and am letting it dry out. There are a few bits that are trying to survive again.
    Deborah