Thread: red hornwort?

Feedback Score

red hornwort?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello

Well the topic says it all, what is red hornwort? Anyone got any pictures? Does it grow as easily as regular horwort? Anyone know if it is available in Europe?

Thanks

P.S. for those of you not civilized enough to join in on the new Chill-out corner topic: Let me summarize: Terry Pratchet for President!!!

Feedback Score
    Tyrone,
    Is this the correct one you are looking for?
    http://www.rva.jp/gallary3/mizukusa/peru_matsumo.htm
    I remember seeing it on RVA a few months backs. But other than that, I do not know of it's availability anywhere else. From the photo, they are just growing it as floating, so it should not be too much of difficulty except for fertilization to keep the red.

-----
    Edit: now the url is clickable!
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    I don't know... we would have to ask Bad Boyz Max Low if it is the plant he is refering to.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: red hornwort?

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    Hello
    Well the topic says it all, what is red hornwort? Anyone got any pictures? Does it grow as easily as regular horwort? Anyone know if it is available in Europe?
    According to the Oriental Aquarium Plant Handbook, there are 2 varieties -Ceratophyllum demersum which is greenish and C. demersum 'Mexico' which has light red stem.

The one I have is always reddish and I always wondered why those kept by the Killies people here and at ecoCulture are totally green. I got some of the green variety from Kwek Leong and the main differences I noticed are that the green variety has thicker leaves and is rougher to the touch. After 4 months in my tank, the green variety has acquired a tinge of red but the young shoots are still green while the red variety has reddish young shoots.

Attached is a photo of the red and green Hornwort from my tank.
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, there's apparently two species of Ceratophyllum that look identical to each other. I can't remember where I read this but they seem to have different physical properties. One species is more brittle and more green than the other but both are superficially like each other.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Alright I found the discussion on Petfrd.com forums.

http://www.petfrd.com/forum/showthre...=Ceratophyllum

Apparently I have both types in my possession, the brittle-leaved species C. submersum, and the tougher C. demersum. C. demersum has been known to produce reddish-tinged leaves near the tips of the plant.

These plants melt quickly when placed in fresh tap water. They require aged water and a source of light to thrive. I no longer keep them in the main tank because they grew too fast. The remaining ones that I did not kill are now growing, albeit slower, in my guppy tank.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade
    I don't know... we would have to ask Bad Boyz Max Low if it is the plant he is refering to.
    Yes thats the hornwort i'm refering to.

Hi Tyrone,
    I don't know if it was hornwort, which I found in one of the ponds on my last field trip but it was red and looked like hornwort. I didn't collected any of it but if you want me to do so, I'll try to find it again. BTW, I live in Germany, so if I can find it here, you should be able to find it in Italy, too. Or I send you some of it, if it is really C. submersum.

best regards

Robert