Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Bubbling Stringy Moss - 'Leptodictyon riparium'

Bubbling Stringy Moss - 'Leptodictyon riparium'

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The following picture is the latest development of the Stringy Moss that I have posted in the previous thread:
    http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtop...755&highlight=

It really surprised me that the Stringy Moss could bubble so nicely like riccia. It's definitely something worth trying.

[img][400:550]http://home.pacific.net.sg/~szewei/Stringy_Moss_Vase_03.jpg[/img]

Nice Tan, looks very thick at the top. Mine was eaten up by my fish.

Dennis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Bubbling Stringy Moss - 'Leptodictyon riparium'

Always enjoy your post on the stringy moss.. Ok.. a few question for you:

1) Do you add any organisms into the setup. e.g. Shrimps?
    2) Do you provide any extra lighting... ? How many walts/
    3)Do you add any fertilizers? What kind?
    4) Do you change the water? What method?

thanks!

regards
    Jonathan Poh

Quote Originally Posted by aquaturbo
    The following picture is the latest development of the Stringy Moss that I have posted in the previous thread:
    http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtop...755&highlight=

It really surprised me that the Stringy Moss could bubble so nicely like riccia. It's definitely something worth trying.

[img][400:550]http://home.pacific.net.sg/~szewei/Stringy_Moss_Vase_03.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by jonpoh
    1) Do you add any organisms into the setup. e.g. Shrimps?
    2) Do you provide any extra lighting... ? How many walts/
    3)Do you add any fertilizers? What kind?
    4) Do you change the water? What method?

thanks!

regards
    Jonathan Poh
    (1) The glass vase is quite small, maybe about 5cm X 5cm. I had tried putting a small Malayan shrimp before, but it did not survive. I think the vase is too small to support animal life. Did not want to introduce snails either. So there are no visible organisms except the moss.

(2) The vase is on top of my office cabinet, and the nearest light source is about 3 ft up on the ceiling. There are two 4ft T5 tubes in the light fixture, Phillips 840. Other lights are further away.

(3) Seldom add fertilizer. If I do add, it's those liquid fertilizer for African Violets, but it's very very diluted.

(4) Seldom. Only when there are too much 'dirt' in the bottom of the vase. (Where the hell did those 'dirt' came from?) Pour away the old water, add in fresh tap water slowly. Oh, I did top up the water that has been evaporated constantly.

Rgds,
    Tan SW

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks for answering my questions..!

regards
    Jonathan

regards
    Jonathan Poh
    [/quote]

(1) The glass vase is quite small, maybe about 5cm X 5cm. I had tried putting a small Malayan shrimp before, but it did not survive. I think the vase is too small to support animal life. Did not want to introduce snails either. So there are no visible organisms except the moss.

(2) The vase is on top of my office cabinet, and the nearest light source is about 3 ft up on the ceiling. There are two 4ft T5 tubes in the light fixture, Phillips 840. Other lights are further away.

(3) Seldom add fertilizer. If I do add, it's those liquid fertilizer for African Violets, but it's very very diluted.

(4) Seldom. Only when there are too much 'dirt' in the bottom of the vase. (Where the hell did those 'dirt' came from?) Pour away the old water, add in fresh tap water slowly. Oh, I did top up the water that has been evaporated constantly.

Rgds,
    Tan SW[/quote]

Feedback Score
    Tan SW,
    Very nice pearling on the moss. I can't get my plants to do that except when my filter takes in air!

Have you measured its length yet? I am quite curious on how long it is.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Looks very nice!
    Deborah