Thread: Nigripinnis in Philippines?

Feedback Score

Nigripinnis in Philippines?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Mabuhay Philippinos,
    Anybody knows if Nigripinnis is still around. It was earlier introduced for mosquito control and believed to be established in the wild.
    It would be great to have Nigripinnis caught in the Philippines.
    According to FishBase the species is known from Miagao and Iloilo.
    I might be going to Cebu around xmas but I will not have the opportunity to look for them myself.
    Erik Thurfjell
    SKS 138, BKA 838-05, AKA 08998, SAA 251

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For general information this is the reference on FishBase:

Used for research. Introduced to Miagao, Iloilo province in 1996 for mosquito control (Ref. 1342.

Erik, it might not be around. Many of these were introduced as mosquito control agents but very seldom did they establish themselves. Simpsonichthys (Nematolebias) whitei was also introduced into California going by the information on the US NAS site showing non-indigenous species introduced into the States for mosquito control purposes. The species however, did not manage to establish itself.

The nigripinnis might possibly still be there but since there's only one locality in which they were introduced, you can try. Miagao is a city/town in the province of Iloilo on the island of Panay. Records from FishBase show their status to be unknown but suspected to be established. Good luck in finding them though. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    I doubt the nigripinnis are still there. The Philippines are too warm for this little cool water gem. Why don't they introduce Nothos instead? and a mix of several species? This is just another example of poorly researched trials.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know if there are A. nigripinnis in the Phillipines but just to tell you all a funny story - When my Filipina maid went home for a vacation 2 years ago, I gave her a few bags of Killifish eggs. She told me later when she came back to Singapore that her relatives and friends in the Phillipines just couldn't understand how fry can appear from a bag of peat moss.

"How come got fish?", they kept asking.

Loh K L