Thread: wolffia

Feedback Score

wolffia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

You folks all seem to enjoy oddball plants. I just got back from my trip to Mexico, and may have collected one of the world's smallest flowering plants.

My take was very skimpy, and I may just have a bunch of duckweed, but I probably have mixed in some species of Wolffia, too. I'm tired from a 340 mile drive, so will wait until daylight, tomorrow to see what I actually got.

Meanwhile, you can have some fun by going to Wayne's Word and check them out at:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plmar96.htm

I collected them below the Lake Hodges Dam in San Dieguito River, just above Rancho Santa Fe, CA.

Enjoy,

Wright

PS. The whole site is a lot of fun, so look around while there.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wright, going by the pictures on the Wayne's World site you posted, I think I've seen the Asian species of Wolffia locally in Singapore. No wonder I found some oddball plants shaped like miniature flattened footballs. It could grow into pest-like proportions if we don't control it in the home aquarium though.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    Wright, going by the pictures on the Wayne's World site you posted, I think I've seen the Asian species of Wolffia locally in Singapore. No wonder I found some oddball plants shaped like miniature flattened footballs. It could grow into pest-like proportions if we don't control it in the home aquarium though.
    Not if you have fish in there. Most will eat the stuff eagerly, so to propagate it you may actually need a fishless tank. Lots of species will eat duckweed at least a little bit. My memory, from when I had Wolffia before, was that many more species would snack on those tiny plants.

Goes great as a garnish on sandwiches, BTW.

Wright

PS. Took a closer look this AM and I may have gotten only Lemna (duckweed) May have climbed down and back up a 100' cliff for nothing.
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA