Thread: Breeding Leptolebias fractifasciatus "Inoa

Feedback Score

Breeding Leptolebias fractifasciatus "Inoa

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

Leptolebias species is probably well know here at he forum. This is a very small annuell species and the species originate from Brasil.
    I have 2 species, but try to get all of them they are not that many.

Yesterday I took some picture from a breed from a very youn pair, they are no 2 1/2 motnth, and I have already collecte a lot of eggs, I hope they are fertile because they are very young.

The tank is about 4 gallon with with a lot of javamoss and ferns. Ph is about 6.3 and the temperature is about 25 degree. My wather is very soft.

One of the corner I have placed peat, not much because Leptolebias deposit their eggs more or less on the top of the peat (my experience)
    They are very eager in breeding, but mostly in the afternoon, then they ca play for 2-3 hours. here comes the picture

Male

Female

The next three picture male is showing and they try to find a suitable breeding place

Next 2 picture the breeding has started:

The breeding is fullffilled It takes only few seconds

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Svein, they're not exactly well-known here but hopefully that will change in the near future. :wink: Any good tips on getting them to breed and raising the fry to maturity? Last I checked someone told me these Leptolebias produce fry that are really really small.

I would understand why you would want to have all the species but sadly many are not easily available and are on the verge of extinction. Good news is that some people have rediscovered Leptolebias marmoratus and hopefully there will be more good news regarding the other rare ones like cruzi, leitaoi and sandrii.

Last but not least, thank you for the series of spawning photos. These are indeed beautiful, if not marvelous little fishes that have been overlooked in favour of other larger SAAs.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I've some fry which is about a 3 weeks old.

When they hatched, they're very small and will only be able to take newly hatched brine shrimps about 2 weeks later.

I'm not sure if I could grow them to adult and breed them in time.

I'll be away in December end for a week plus. If I don't collect and eggs by then.... I may loose the species.. Maybe I'll have to find someone experience enough to babay sit them when I'm away....

Any experience guy here would like to help out?
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    haven't any long experience with raising them, the fish on the picture however I have raised from eggs I have bought from breeder.

I'm agree with Au the fry is very small, and I gave them Parameceium, vineagereel and micro. However I saw that the fry started to eat artemia after 8 days.
    I raised about 80% of the fry, and I think the solution of that was that I raised the fry in an 2 gallon tankes with a sponge filter which only produce 2-3 bubbles in one second.

I have done this to other speceis which I want a good % raising, and it works every time for me.

It's a pity that this species are threaten in their biotope, so it's importan that we can have these jeweller in capture
    Sorry for my english, it could be better
    Regards
    Svein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't worry about your English, Svein. We understand you perfectly.

Your pictures are very good. Thanks for sharing them with us. The fish is unknown to most of us here. Other than Au, I don't know of anyone who has kept or bred them. If you hadn't said so, I would have thought the fish is a Notho. It looks very much like a Notho korthausae.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Svein, thanks for sharing your experience and images of the happy fractifasciatus couple. I find spawning tales very inspiring and don't worry about your command of English, I can understand you just fine.

I'm new to Leptolebias genus and presently have Lepto aureoguttatus 'Itanhaem' in peat-incubation [coll: Aug 12th]. Oct 7th will be the 8th incubating week but since I can find/see any of the eggs, anyone want to hazard a guess on dunking date with 28ºC storage?

I'm ready for any tiny buggers that greet me. [Au, just let me know if you need help]

[BTW, I have also Simp reticulatus “Altamira Xingu” collected Aug 19th, 7th week on Oct 7th. Those with hands on experience, kindly advise]
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, going by a rough guide published on the DKG-Cynolebias subgroup, they should develop within 7 weeks at 24degC. I believe at 28, they will develop somewhat faster, possibly 6 weeks. Wetting them this week would be a good idea.

Feedback Score
    Ron, this species I'm looking for :wink: so I hope that you get som adults in your spawn so I can get eggs in summer time

The fish on the picture where collected 25.2.04 and I hatch them 15.7.04. There were lot of fry, but I have also red that the incubation time is are from 8 weeks to 16 weeks, and 28 degree is rather warm, so I would try quite soon the first time.
    Good luck
    Regards
    Svein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Svein
    ...this species I'm looking for :wink: so I hope that you get som adults in your spawn so I can get eggs in summer time
    Svein, in your experience, how is the growth rate for Leptolebias? If they're like nothos and breed like rabbits, then I'm looking forward to swaps in summer too! (have you started spawning the ANNs? :wink: )

25.2.04 to 15.7.04 is almost 5 months! What was the storage temp?

Quote Originally Posted by JianYang
    ...they should develop within 7 weeks at 24degC
    It helps to know which species you're referring to... Simp or Lepto? Any link to the DKG-Cynolebias guide?

I fluffed up the peat last night while looking for eggs... nadda (think I need a microscope than new glasses!) Lend me an eye if you're swinging by this Saturday.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Yes I think they breed like rabbits I could sex them when they were about 4 weeks, and they started to breed when they were 8 weeks.
    I cannot say which temperature they were storage in, because I only had the eggs for about 2 months. With me the temperature was about 25 degrees. The sexratio was 70% male 30% female.

Good luck
    Regards
    Svein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks, Svein. I'm glad these don't take forever to mature, unlike some aphyosemion. Checked the bag again in good daylight, but still can't see any eggs.

Will dunk this weekend and see how that goes. I'll take note of the ratio. Do you recall the water's pH?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, some of the mature eggs may look pretty dark. I found this picture of a Leptolebias egg on one of the Japanese sites. [problem linking the picture] : you may have to browse through the site yourself. Go to PhotoBBS on the site I mentioned below.

Image of a Leptolebias minimus "Seropedica" egg shown on a Japanese killie forum on this site ADK - Aqua Design Kino

Site does not allow hotlinking so click on the URL to view the picture.

Feedback Score
    Ron I'm not sure what you mean with "recall" but I don't do anything with the water, but I try to have the same ph in the hatchingwater and I take the water from parents tank,always!.

I have give up looking for eggs, I don''t have the patient, so I have a routine that I started to hatch normally 1month earlier than the litterature describe, because I have the eggs in a temparute to 24-25 degrees, and it works well. I open the bags once in month and then I try to hatch.

I enclose the "difficult fry tank " I always use an applesnail togather with javamoss, and a spongefilter producing smaller infusorier than Paramecium. I have today put 100 fry of Nothobranchius spec. aff. rubripinnis Tan 97/27, hope I will get some pair.
    Regards
    Svein

Regards
    Svein

Feedback Score
    Anyone mind enlightening me on what fish the first pic in that link shows?

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I think it is a Rivulus xiphidius .
    Regards,
    Huy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by nonamethefish
    Anyone mind enlightening me on what fish the first pic in that link shows?
    Dear "nonamethefish",
    If I name the fish, will you tell us your name?

That said, Diep is correct. It is Rivulus xiphidius, population is either 'PK-15' or 'Bagne de Anamites'. You planning to get any? If so, be prepared for VERY slow growth! [so slow, I think I see algae growing on them ]

Diep,
    I noticed something about your nickname... "Pconniae". Are you a blue-eye fan as well? I'm thinking Pseudomugil (Popondetta) connieae. Am I correct?
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    RonWill wrote:
    I noticed something about your nickname... "Pconniae". Are you a blue-eye fan as well? I'm thinking Pseudomugil (Popondetta) connieae. Am I correct?
    In spite of the spelling mistake (I am not very bright in Latin), you managed to guess the meaning of my nickname .
    Regards,
    Huy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Diep, the only reason why I can make out the nickname is probably because I like Pseudomugil (not because I'm smart). If you are also maintaining these blue-eyes, I'd love to hear from you.

I've been experiencing email problems but just got to know that I might be able to get hold of Ps. cyanodorsalis
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, you're really lucky. In France, it is not easy to find Pseudomugil . I only managed to find a few Pseudomugil furcata.
    Regards,
    Huy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    I've been experiencing email problems but just got to know that I might be able to get hold of Ps. cyanodorsalis
    Ron,

Don't be too happy as yet. The breeder had not got back after my last mail to him. Maybe he's busy collecting eggs. :wink:
    Au SL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast