Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

3 bag of eggs have just arrived.

1) S.suzarti
    2) N.rachovii
    3) N.kafuensis

Hatched the kafuensis, about 12 fries.

Hope to get more informations about the a/m fishes.
    Thanks

Wilson

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wilson, congratulations.

How are you raising the fry? I never managed to breed the Notho kafuensis when I had them. They scare easily and are highly susceptible to velvet disease. With the Notho rachovii's, it was much easier. The females are prolific egg laying machines.

Are your rachovii eggs eyed-up yet? Don't forget to dry the peat holding the kafuensis eggs and wet them again in another 2 weeks. Chances are good there will be more fry. By the way, plural for fry is still fry.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry kl, the fry are 2 days old only so unable to provide too much information...but agree with you that they are very timid. (Some really like flying out the container when i go near it)

Hahaha...think i eat too much mac donald allready. :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson
    Sorry kl, the fry are 2 days old only so unable to provide too much information...but agree with you that they are very timid. (Some really like flying out the container when i go near it)
    It has never happened with my killifish fry but many years ago, when I was raising Swordtails, the fry died, presumably of heart attacks when I accidentally shocked them. Fish can die from fright. My friend who works in Sentosa Underwater World as a diver told me once that a tourist banged on the glass and the next day, all the fish in the tank died. Not the big tank where the sharks are kept but one of the smaller ones.

Wilson, if you can, put some Java Moss or any moss into the raising tray. Besides promoting the growth of infusoria, moss serves as a security blanket for the fry.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes...I did add in java moss and liquid fry...anyway manage to have the rest of the fry with me...

hmm....strangely only 2 of the fry that died were very timid...the rest are adapting very well.

Hope to have them growing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wilson,

Nice to hear of another killinut like you to venture into egg-buying. It's a long process before you get your reward(the beautiful mature fish & eggs you breed). If possible, put them in a few trays so that if ever disease strike, you won't lose(Oh yes I spelt it right :wink: ) them all. Don't forget to label all your trays with all their names & locations right.

Also, keep them cool. They will last longer.

Feedback Score
    What strain of kafuensis do you have?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sure Gan, but only manage to hatch half the number of eggs(about 15), will try to hatch the rest 2 weeks later.

The strain of the n.kafuensis.....Kayuni State Farm.

Wilson