Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Questions: Mini Moss == Taiwan Moss????

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Questions: Mini Moss == Taiwan Moss????

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is there a thing called mini moss??? Got a few Qs from forumer after i post my tank pic. Got the moss from one of the Serangoon LFS(think the boss of the LFS is a taiwanese) and told me that it is mini moss. or izzit that this moss got another name aka taiwan moss??????
    Pics as follow:

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=149986

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=149982

Thks
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Re: Questions: Mini Moss == Taiwan Moss????

James,

Below is a picture of the Taiwan moss (victri.net) and here is a thread detailing the Taiwan moss as well as several others. At a cursory glance, the moss pictured in your photos does not appear to be the Taiwan moss. Whether or not it is "mini moss", I cannot tell you. The term "mini moss" is quite vague; and most of us are hesitant to attach it to any particular species, because many moss species have been claimed as THE "mini moss" through the months. More often than not, they turn out to be variations of "other mosses" grown under different conditions.

Until the experts chime in, your best best IMHO is to send Kwek "The Midas Touch" Leong a few fronds to test and possibly have Professor Tan pin down the proper scientific nomenclature.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks pal,

Think i have to wait for a while for the moss to grow to see if there's any triangular shape. If there isn't then it may just turn out to be mini moss after all. pray pray....... :wink: hehe

Scaping Nature in a Cube

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    James,
    'Taiwan Moss' as we known is what is shown in p-lvp's (what is your name ?) post.

As for Mini Moss, all those that we have seen so far are either Christmas or Singapore Moss. If you think you have something different, please pass some to Kwek Leong (Central area) or me (Clementi/ Jurong area). If we think it is a new species, we will consult Prof Tan for ID.

From your pictures, the moss looks like a Vesicularia (Christmas/Singapore/Weeping) and not Taxiphyllum (Java/Taiwan moss).
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    James,
    virtually most aquatic mosses known to the hobby (except Fissidens sp.) will assume a "triangular frond" shape, and an individual species can take on different shapes and sizes. So looks are pretty useless in IDing the plant. Only IDing of the spores is certain.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems like there are quite a few mosses whose names are prefixed with "mini". I was at the Bioplast shop the other day and they have a moss which they call "Mini-Christmas". It definitely does not look like any moss I've seen. At Petmart last Sunday I saw a moss they labelled as "Tropical Moss" which looks like the Singapore Moss in emersed form.

As far as names of mosses are concerned, it seems like anything goes.

Gan, CaseSensitive signs off as plvp. Those are his initials. For reasons which he prefers to keep confidential, plvp does not want his real identity to be revealed. He's a good friend and although he rarely posts, his posts are always very informative. And I'm not saying that just because he said I have the midas touch .

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Gan, CaseSensitive signs off as plvp. Those are his initials. For reasons which he prefers to keep confidential, plvp does not want his real identity to be revealed. He's a good friend and although he rarely posts, his posts are always very informative. And I'm not saying that just because he said I have the midas touch .

Loh K L
    Ok, noted.

This is from a LFS

Mini Moss = Thailand Moss.

I didn't bother to find out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've heard of and seen some examples of what some people call mini-moss. Turns out they are usually Christmas moss or Singapore moss and sometimes Taiwan moss. The Taiwan moss I have (pictured above) came from Gan. It's now my favourite moss! They are quite distinctive and you can usually tell from the shape, colour and feel.

Perhaps a picture of the complete frond would clear things up a bit more. Best of course would be to pass some to Gan or KL to ID.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have what looks like mini moss in my office tank. I believe it is Singapore Moss. We will have Prof Tan Id it the next time we meet him.

One characterictic of Singapore and Christmas Moss is that they produce capsules readily in sumbersed form. The other moss which produce capsules in submersed form is an unidentified moss from US which comes with the Stringy Moss Kwek Leong gave me.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,
    I'm back with my "mini moss" update. Take a look. Is this christmas moss???? or mini moss????? I'm sure it's not taiwan moss like the above pic. The triangular fronze are much closer and smaller, i think is christmas moss........ Anyway i like the shape very much, beyond my expectation :wink:
    Here the link.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...46#post2605046

Scaping Nature in a Cube

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say it looks more like Singapore Moss.
    The only way to know for sure is to get it ID by Prof Tan.