Country
    United_States

Another unknown MOSS

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    LOL...does it ever end? LOL

I've had this type of moss growing in my tank for quite a while, so I am confident that it is atleast semiaquatic. Can anyone ID it?

(ignore the algae...I am battling it now )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice... looks like a grove of miniature palm trees... how does it look like emersed?

I am now starting to understand how mosses are so different from other plants. Apparently, the leafy growth form we see and enjoy is more equivalent to gonads than the leafs/trunks/stems of other plants. Like sperm/egg, the leafy form (or gametophyte) has only one-set of chromosomes, and under suitable conditions, produces spermatophores that fertilise the eggs in female mosses. This then creates a diploid zygote, which will get dispersed by the wind, to grow into another moss. At some point, the diploid form changes back to the haploid form again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's one good looking moss you have there, Tony. Where did you get it? Did you pluck it from somewhere?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I have not tried growing it emersed yet.

It sorta just appeared one day...I think my driftwood came with some "mystery spores" LOL

...so much fo boiling water killing them off LOL

If you want to try some Loh and see if the professor can ID it, let me know. Don't have much, and if you can deal with a little algae LOL.

One very interesting thing about this moss, is that the fronds anchor like a rooted stem (don't see "root" hairs that you see on other mosses along the frond). It also doesn't seem to grow long. The fronds seem to max out at around 1-1.5cm.

Feedback Score
    I am not much of a man for mosses, but I would guess Fissidens spp.. That is a very nice find Tony!
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The moss looks very much like a Dicranoloma sp. illustrated in one of my books. This genus supposedly contains aquatic species.