Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killifish eggs hatched (eggs from Esther)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Killifish eggs hatched (eggs from Esther)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

Last Saturday, when I met up with Kwek Leong at his place, I also had the opportunity of meeting Esther, Kee Hoe and shortman.

It was my first time seeing killifish live and they are much prettier in person!

I was there only in the interest of planted tanks, but when Kwek Leong offered me some killifish eggs that Esther had brought, my father who was with me, accepted them with great enthusiasm. However, as he is out of town, I'm monitoring their progress.

The eggs were harvested 26th October and placed in peat moss by Esther. I was told to put them in water on the 3rd of November. Being a killi-idiot, I followed instructions to the letter.

On said day, I dumped the whole lot into water at 7:30am and went off for a meeting. The moss was on the dry side, rather than moist and rather hard. It struck me that the fry might not be able to push their way out.

By the time I came back, (about 1:30pm) the eggs had hatched. As it was difficult looking at them with all the peat moss, I only counted 5-8 fry.

Today, I fished out all the peat moss, because some of it had started to get a fungsy haze. There were some whitish bits left in the peat moss - due to moss? fungus? unhatched eggs? I couldn't tell.

Anyway, I'm now counting at least 17 fry in the batch. Kwek Leong tells me they are Aphyosemion Australe killifish.

I am feeding them baby brine shrimp now. Anything else that I can feed the fry with?

This is my first macro fry attempt... forgive the bluriness. Fry are 2 days old. The gunk that you see is the reflection of residual peat moss I couldn't fish out.

joanne

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Joanne,

congratulations! You are becoming to be a killie-addict soon .

Besides bbs, you can also feed them with vinegar eels and grindal worms. Search for the posts on grindal worms and the main killie site has a page detailing how to keep and harvests vinegar eels. BTW, there are not the size of the eels you can find in the market.

One more thing, perhaps you would want to resize your photos so that it would not overspill into the side of the screen?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Whoa... Hope I can do something like this too when i get my Aphyosemion australe pair...

And apart from resizing, maybe can rotate some of the pictures so that the fry are not up-side down...

Not bad for a first try...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsplenden
    And apart from resizing, maybe can rotate some of the pictures so that the fry are not up-side down...
    Anything wrong with me I didn't notice any upside down images.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The pictures are OK. The fry are in upright position. Just a little too big for some so cropping would be a great. :wink:
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    haha.... Yup, they are fine. I kok-eye. The third picture really looks a bit upside down to me.

Feedback Score

wow

wow, i hope i would be half as successful. The Notho rachovii egg that LOH gave is due in 2 weeks time. Extremely nervous now.

Feedback Score

Re: wow

Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    wow, i hope i would be half as successful. The Notho rachovii egg that LOH gave is due in 2 weeks time. Extremely nervous now.
    I just received my N. rachovii eggs today too. But mine are due on 1 January. NEW YEAR!

Anyway, may I ask here what will happen if I wet the eggs later?

Feedback Score
    Hey Jo!! Congartulations to you. How are the fry doing now? They look really cute on the photos though. All thanks to Kwek Leong... I am so grateful he gave me the adult killies to begin with. :wink:

By the way, bsplenden, I don't think there is anything wrong with your eyes. I think on the first day Jo posted the pictures, the last picture was indeed upside down. I remember seeing the stomach on top of the head. heehee.
    Esther

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: wow

Quote Originally Posted by bsplenden
    Anyway, may I ask here what will happen if I wet the eggs later?
    David, if you're talking about a one-week delay, nothing bad will happen. Can't say the same if you're 9 months late

Btw, for those who thought they need new glasses (myself included), almost ALL of Joanne's originally posted images were indeed upsidedown. I know... because I saw alot of mulm on the 'surface' and belly-up'ed fry :wink:
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie,

You mean you turn around the fish upside down for Jo.

Feedback Score

Dang Dang.....

This morning 2am, the egg that suppose to due in two weeks decided to hatch. Till now the total count is: 21 fry

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Killifish eggs hatched (eggs from Esther)

Quote Originally Posted by joteo
    Last Saturday, when I met up with Kwek Leong at his place, I also had the opportunity of meeting Esther, Kee Hoe and shortman. It was my first time seeing killifish live and they are much prettier in person!
    Joanne, you forgot to mention that I'm also much prettier in person

But seriously, congratulations again. Looks like the women are really gifted when it comes to hatching eggs and raising fry. Maybe what we should do the next time we get some rare species of eggs is to give them all to either Esther or Joanne .

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Dang Dang.....

Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Kee Hoe,
    I created a new album so that you can upload further images and hotlink from there.

In plain URL, the link to the album reads as;
    http://www.killies.com/forum/modules...view_album.php

The image you tried to hotlink earlier should be this;

It is a thumbnail-sized image and to view in original resolution, remove the word '.thumb' that comes before '.jpg', ie.
    Code:
    If you want the thumbnail to be clickable (to the original image size), the link should read like this;
    Code:
    and it becomes...
    (click image to enlarge)

Read the Sticky Messages at FAQ/Technical Help sub-forum, regarding image linking and try again with your AUS Orange picture at;
    http://www.killies.com/forum/albums/...0096.thumb.jpg

BTW folks, nice to see pictures accompanying the posts but try to keep them to around 750pixels length, to reduce download time and left-right scrolling for others. Thank you.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello everyone.

I'm sorry that my lousy picture taking has resulted in so many emails about the fish being belly up. I apologise for not checking my photos before uploading them.

Keehoe - how did you get your water so clean? Do you remove the eggs from the peat moss before submerging them? How did you know they wanted to hatch early?

Kwek Leong - how can I call a man pretty? Must be handsome. Fish of either sex can be pretty, however - and usually it's the males that are more so.

I think the hatching was pure luck - Esther must have put the best eggs into one container

The fry don't seem very keen on baby brine shrimp - not like the betta fry.

I am looking for a long neck bottle so that I can try out vinegar eels. I checked out all the see yao bottles and everything in the kitchen. None of them are very long necked at all.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I found a suitable long-necked bottle at one of the supermarkets. It was used to bottle red wine vinegar I think. I bought the bottle, emptied the vinegar and gave it a good wash. Now its used as my harvester.

Hope is there when you find these odd bottles at a BIG supermarket.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am looking for a long neck bottle so that I can try out vinegar eels. I checked out all the see yao bottles and everything in the kitchen. None of them are very long necked at all.
    Joanne, the amount of vinegar eels to be fed shouldn't be too much at any given time. Excess food will die or rot.

Instead of one huge harvester, I use multiple test tubes. These are affordable and you can even have a tube for each day Let me go dig up an old pic of my 'tube harvester'. It'll be clearer then.

Alternatively, there's microworms for fry's first foods. If you can self collect (and promise not to bring along your nets), I can give you a ready-to-harvest MW culture.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Is those Vodka bottle considered long neck? Maybe you can try those.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The best places to look for long-neck bottles would be the Chinese medicine shops, Joanne. There's a kind of rice wine that comes in bottles with straight necks that are not very long but would serve the purpose well. A vodka bottle is perfect but you wouldn't want to waste money buying such a bottle unless you're an alcoholic

Loh K L

Feedback Score

liquidFry

Loh, Joane.

Today i try feed my Notho. Rachovii with liquidfry, they seems quite happy with it. I think mine are not ready for bbs yet. Feed all BBS to my Ann. Clown (the one with small mirror on top).

Last week CKTank having promotion on Chinese Apple Cider Vinegar Drinks with small LONG neck bottle. Not sure if the vinegar is suitable for our vinegar eel. But the bottle have very long neck similar to those sesame oil bottle. Just that is bigger.

I keep my vineger eel culture in two container. One in a jug, so that it is easy for me to pour from there to the bottle for harvesting. Well, the other one is in the bottle itself. As warn by Loh, must cover it up or else fruit fry will come dive inside. I use those mesh primarily used for cooking fish soup (for keeping fish bone)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast