Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Erect Moss Attachment

Erect Moss Attachment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There seems to be a consensus that Erect Moss do not attach to anything. However, while pruning today, I noticed a bunch of substrate grains stuck to the undersides of various fronds. Along these areas, I also found a lot of brown rooting structures (rhizoids).

Curious. Has anyone else seen rhizoids on his/her Erect Moss or evidence that it does attach to something?

Hey Phu,
    How is it going? I see rhizoids on mine, but my erect moss still very loosely attaches to not even attaches.

Dennis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Erect Moss Attachment

Quote Originally Posted by caseSENSITIVE
    There seems to be a consensus that Erect Moss do not attach to anything. However, while pruning today, I noticed a bunch of substrate grains stuck to the undersides of various fronds. Along these areas, I also found a lot of brown rooting structures (rhizoids).
    Erect Moss does have rhizoids and will anchor to whatever you tie it to.
    However, as more new fronds develops and thickens, the older fronds have a tendency to turn brown and lose it anchor. The rhizoids on the newer fronds which grow upward rarely have a chance to anchor onto anything that is why Erect Moss has a tendency to detach from driftwood/wiremesh after it matures.

Curious. Has anyone else seen rhizoids on his/her Erect Moss or evidence that it does attach to something?
    You can see the rhizoids in this photo I took sometime back:
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog