Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: snail, cherry good companion for killies fry development?

Feedback Score

snail, cherry good companion for killies fry development?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, my notho fry have been dieing. Now left only 2. I want to migrate them to my 1.5 feet tank to ensure greater chance of survival.

I intend to move all other fishes from this tank except SAE, snail, cherry shrimp and black molly. These will stay with the two fry to cleanup the tank and keep my fry healthy.

Is any of these dangerous to killies fry?

Feedback Score

Re: snail, cherry good companion for killies fry development

Keep them in small container. If you N. Beira 98 is less than 5mm SAE and molly will eat them.

Don't over feed, feed them less and patient is the key.

Once they have reach certain size like 1cm you can feed them as many as you can they will grow very fast.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Make sure your container is full of java moss.
    How high is the water in the container and how often do you water changes? If you do water changes, what kind of water did you use?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Hi, Thanks all. They are about 1cm in size now in 14cm x 14cm tray. Water dept 5cm. I am feeding them on vineger eel and BBS on weekend.
    Vineger eel or no feeding on weekday (with Java moss and liquid fry).
    I have just put a 1cm snail in the tray to help maintain the water.

Can i start to push them for size now? I heard BBS also help fry develope desease resistance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kee Hoe,

When they are in this size, you should feed mainly with BBS. Vineger eel is only good for the first few day when the fry is too small for BBS.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Thanks PohSan,

But i only have 2 fry. I would try to do that as much/ often i could. The baby guppy seems to like that also. Those BBS available in Block 328 would pass first stage of naubi before i get my hands on it. I normally go there around 9+ so have to hatch my own to control the timing.

Is snail and cherry good tank mate to baby killies?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: snail, cherry good companion for killies fry development

Quote Originally Posted by keehoe
    Hi all, my notho fry have been dieing. Now left only 2. I want to migrate
    I intend to move all other fishes from this tank except SAE, snail, cherry shrimp and black molly. These will stay with the two fry to cleanup the tank and keep my fry healthy.

Kee Hoe, being able to breed some fishes is not a big deal but to raise tiny fry is a big challenge.

Some notho fry are that tiny and will need infusoria and other minute-sized first foods to pull them through, until they are ready for BBS.

It may be unconventional but my fry trays are just takeaway containers, with a generous clump of java moss, ramhorn snails and innoculated with infusoria.

I'll bet your fry have a better chance of survival in these than a 1.5ft tank.

Once free swimming, snails are good companions as are small cherry shrimps.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Thanks Ron, I am also using take away box now, but with no filter and i dare not change water too often. Everytime i change, there is a possibility that i kill them with the overnight tap water.

One question Ron, if you stack up the tray like that. Wouldn't you worry that the fry die of lacking of O2?

Innoculate infusoria mean keep java moss on tray and left alone for weeks?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One question Ron, if you stack up the tray like that. Wouldn't you worry that the fry die of lacking of O2?

Kee Hoe, I 'season' the water in containers that are on standby for fry. It can be week-old with a gentle squirt of diluted Liquidfry or sometimes a few grains of yeast. This, I believe, will provide adequate micro foods for the first few days.

About the 'condo' trays, there are breathing holes at the 4 corners of every lid and adequate air-pocket.

Feeding through these holes with a turkey baster isn't a problem either. [anyone searching for basters can just drop by at Eco]
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Check this up fishfood infusoria.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't change the water in my fry tray till they're about 1cm in size where I'll try to sgift them to a bigger tank if available.

The key to success is do not over feed or over cramp the container with fry. 30 is the maximum number of fry for a 20 X 20cm with water level 5cm. If you have the space, 10 to 15 fry is the best. Do not over feed them. For the start, feed once a day for the first week and subsequent week you can feed then twice a day.

Overfeeding is always the key problem for those who fail to raise small fry. The fry can go without food for 3 days but once overfeed, they'll be wipe out the next day ahen the uneaten food start to rot. BUt with snails, the problem could be minimise.
    Au SL