Thread: Moss ID

Feedback Score

Moss ID

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I've grown this moss in my office shrimp tank for almost a year and still have no idea what moss is grown in it. Hence while the cherry shrimps
    were asleep, I managed to 'steal' a frond right under their nest Can anyone ID it from the picture below? Thanks a million!!! :wink: :wink:

Cheers, Joe

Wate Moss

Here's the tank where the moss is grown :P

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    welcome man! looks like Vesicularia spp.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice tank, Joe. Offhand, I would say what you have is Erect Moss.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kwek Leong!! I've seen Erect Moss before and it does not look remotely like this moss I have. I was actually thinking it is more of Singapore Moss but have no idea on this. Got this batch from Nature 1 year back.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Joe, if it was from Nature it might probably be Singapore Moss. SG Moss shows a very nice growth under cool and good conditions. Otherwise it becomes stringy and less beautiful when grown in different conditions.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Vesicularia spp or Vesicularia sp = sg moss?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by damnit
    Thanks Kwek Leong!! I've seen Erect Moss before and it does not look remotely like this moss I have. I was actually thinking it is more of Singapore Moss but have no idea on this. Got this batch from Nature 1 year back.
    Joe, I'm probably wrong about it being Erect Moss but it's highly unlikely that it's Singapore Moss either. Chan's Singapore Moss does not look anywhere like yours. Your Moss looks pretty unusual, the fact that it's somewhat upright like the Erect Moss but not upright enough. It doesn't hang down like Christmas and doesn't curl at the ends like Taiwan. It couldn't possibly be Weeping either as that moss drapes itself downwards over driftwood.

Tell you what, Joe. If you're really keen on identifying your moss, get some to me by this Saturday. I'll be meeting the professor at his lab this coming Sunday afternoon. We let him examine the moss and he will surely know what species it is. Time is short. You can call me at 97951519.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    both Singapore and Christmas moss belongs to the Vesicularia genus. Since we are not sure which species is the specimen, we indicate it using "spp." roughly meaning "some species in the genus of [Vesicularia]". "sp." indicates an undescribed species.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    Quote Originally Posted by dom
    both Singapore and Christmas moss belongs to the Vesicularia genus. Since we are not sure which species is the specimen, we indicate it using "spp." roughly meaning "some species in the genus of [Vesicularia]". "sp." indicates an undescribed species.
    "spp" is an abbreviation for "sp", species (plural)
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    I believe Gan is quite correct.

It is unfortunate, and it has screwed me up in the past, that Scheel also used SPP as the code name for Aphyosemion. splendopleure.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow Joe, judging from the response from KL I may have made a miss in the ID here. The best person to tell you what it is would be Prof. Tan himself. Who knows, you might have a new moss there - Joe's Moss - perhaps?

Wright, several of the Scheel abbreviations aren't useful anymore. These codes are used for species that are no longer valid. I think its high time the 3-letter code system gets an overhaul. I'm doing a separate system for us folks here in SG that is based somewhat on Scheel's system. :wink:

Feedback Score
    Jianyang,

We still write about invalid species, don't we? In Scheel's day he listed SPP as "invalid" for example. I don't see much use in changing those three-letter codes if it possibly leads to confusion. About half the time, this year's invalid name is back as next year's valid one, anyway.

No comprehensive master list of new-world killies was ever done to parallel Scheel's work on species-name abreviations for rivulins of the old world. As a result, we have encountered some rather amusing usages, for everyone feels quite free to do his own thing on anything not already in Scheel's ROTOW. :wink:

I'm not a careful enough or patient enough bookkeeper to take on such a task. LMK if I can help, tho, as it certainly needs doing.

Wright
    01 760 872-3995
    805 Valley West Circle
    Bishop, CA 93514 USA

Feedback Score
    Thanks Kwek Leong, will SMS you later today

In any case, this tank has been the most successful for me as far as maintenance is concerned. I've not changed water for the past 12 months!!! And the filter has only just been washed after 9 months. The moss have rewarded me with nice lush growth, and the cherry shrimps have been 'having fun' :wink: :wink: Guessed its the cold 23, 24 degress Celsius temperature that contributes to the growth.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by damnit
    I think we all agree that it is from the genus Vesicularia but we don't know what species it is, so it is a Vesicularia sp. for now.

I don't think it is Erect Moss as well. If I have to guess, I would say it is closer Singapore Moss.

Pass it to Kwek Leong before this Sat and we will have an answer by Sat night
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Thanks Gan, will be passing some to Kwek Leong later today :wink:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well oh well, I did get the ID right. (Refer to Mosses Part 4)

Feedback Score
    Eh so its Singapore Moss? I've not heard from Kwek Leong yet

Feedback Score
    Oh saw the updates in Part 4 hehee