Images
    Country
    Singapore

Aquatic mosses - now and then

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It is amazing how things have changed in just 12 months.

Back then (12 months ago) -
    - Aquatic mosses were ignored by most aquarists.
    - There were lots of confusion on the identity of aquatic mosses.
    - Java, Christmas and 'Willow' moss were the more commonly known mosses.
    - 'Christmas Moss' was probably the most common moss after Java Moss ! Credit goes to Kwek Leong for giving Chrismas Moss FOC to anyone who asks for it.
    - Erect Moss was rare and fetched a good price. Everybody wanted to grow Erect Moss
    - Many hobbyist claimed to own Willow Moss but none actully have it.
    - Taiwan Moss was worth the price of gold and is THE moss to have
    - Nobody has heard of 'Singapore Moss'
    - Java Moss was know as Vesicularia dubyana.

12 months later -
    - Aquarists have many more spcies of aquatic mosses to choose from - Java, Christmas, Singapore, Weeping, Erect, Stringy, Willow and more.
    - Everybody is offering/selling/dumping Taiwan Moss and Erect Moss.
    - Taiwan moss is no longer HOT and is worth 1/10 the original price
    - Christmas Moss is now very rare !
    - Singapore Moss is now probably more common than Java Moss. It can be found all over Singapore, both inside and outside of aquariums in Singapore.
    - We finally found the real Willow Moss and know how it looks like!
    - We know the scientific name of most of the common aquatic mosses, and that Java Moss is NOT Vesicularia dubyana !
    If you are into Nature, check out the new NSS Nature Forum.
    See my Nature photos and Butterfly Blog

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan, we've come a long way. Credit goes to the professor. If not for him, we'll still be in a muddle about the identities of the various mosses.

What's a bit sad though, is that I can't give the professor the information he really needs. Before he can make a positive identification, the prof needs to know where the moss is orginally from. But many of the mosses I bring to him were taken from fish shops and generally, the plants were all imported from Taiwan. We know that's where it's imported from but we can't be sure that's the country of origin.

We know now, besides the 4 species of Vesicularia(Christmas, Singapore, Erect & Weeping) that there are at least 4 species of Taxiphyllums circulating around in the local aquaria scene. One is the common Java Moss and another is the Taiwan Moss. Other than the Java whose identity has been ascertained, the other 3 remains unidentified. But even for the Java, the identity isn't 100% confirmed because of the absence of capsules.

Loh K L

timebomb,

Any news from prof regarding the moss i brought back from Kenya?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tong, I'm really sorry. I didn't bring your moss to the professor as I couldn't find it . It's my fault and I'm not making any excuses but the fact is there was a long period where I didn't meet the professor. Your moss either got mixed up with some other mosses in my tanks or they died in the tray where I kept them. I honestly can't remember.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    HI anyone seen this before? Just to share with if you have not seen this one.

Moss collecting in Sri Lanka, 17-29 May 2004
    http://www.oshea.demon.co.uk/tbr/srlcoll.htm

Dr Benito C. Tan, Singapore University is also in the team.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Nice link!

Quote Originally Posted by timebomb
    Tong, I'm really sorry. I didn't bring your moss to the professor as I couldn't find it . It's my fault and I'm not making any excuses but the fact is there was a long period where I didn't meet the professor. Your moss either got mixed up with some other mosses in my tanks or they died in the tray where I kept them. I honestly can't remember.

Loh K L
    No problem, the rest of the mosses, turned brown in my tank. Probably too hot

Cheers