Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My spawing Otocinclus affinis (perhaps O. vittatus?)

Feedback Score
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Amazing. there is one guy here in my country that is breeding some species of catfish - but this is the first time i c pictures.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, a short reminder. The species that spawned was tentatively identified as Otocinclus hoppei, not affinis.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Hi all:

I catched an otto fry last december (sorry for being that late but I am a newbie and just saw this post...). At that time I had a planted tank (60 L) with 3 ottos and, if I remember correctly, some red phantom tetras. My tank was about to be dismantled since I was leaving for 5 months to the US and when I was taking it apart I saw the small otto (about 4-5 mm) atached to the aquarium glass. I had some algae growing on the glass, my pH was 6.5-6-7, temp. 25-26ēC and changed water weekly (30%). I have some pictures at home and if any of you are interested I may try to post them here. They had been with me for about 8 months before spawning and I never saw an egg like those attached to the leaves. I have been trying to get some ottos but so far none has shown in my LFS.

About the species that I had, no idea but may post a picture to see if you are able to ID them.

REgards,

Tony

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Tony,
    Welcome to the forum and yes, please do hotlink images of your oto fry when you're able.

Not every image hosting web site will allow hotlinking but personally, Photobucket.com does a pretty good job. (Do remember to resize the images so it doesn't take forever for the dial-upper member to download)

Most of us in this forum are hobbyists and here to share what we learnt, experienced or attempted experiments. It doesn't matter if we fail, for the next person might understand where we went wrong, discuss the problems and then move on to try other methods, so that we can all achieve better results in future trials.

Knowing everything doesn't make a superior person if it's him alone who has the knowledge and not inclined to share.

That said, I may not be the right chap to ID your otocinclus species but it's interesting to note that you have pretty cool temps in your tank... chiller perhaps? The pH range suggest that the tank is CO˛ fertilized, no?

I'm sure we'll all be glad to learn from your observation and experience. Hope you enjoy the visit while you're here.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Ronnie, thank you for your comments. I am attaching a picture of the otto species I had as well as a couple of pictures of the otto fry

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice pics Tony and it seems you have Otocinclus affinis there.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Storm, thank you for your comments and for the ID.

Tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123