Thread: Oxygenator for Egg Hatching

Feedback Score

Oxygenator for Egg Hatching

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys,

Anyone used or tested such device for killies egg hatching to improve the oxygen contents in the water?

http://www.aquainnovationsinc.com/
    http://www.protackle.net/baitkeeper.html

What above device does is use the electrolytic reaction to separate the O from the H2 from the water.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oxygenator for Egg Hatching

Folks,
    Kho and I were pending confirmation on a private order but we thought others might want to tag along to share shipping costs.

For myself, I'll be using the oxygenator to replace the oxygen-tablets for hatching Simps and other 'delicate' species. If anyone else is interested, please indicate here.

Closing date is on Christmas Eve. Thanks.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score

Re: Oxygenator for Egg Hatching

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill
    For myself, I'll be using the oxygenator to replace the oxygen-tablets for hatching.
    I am not so sure the usefulness of the device.
    Or can it replace the oxygen-tablet as in cost effectiveness.

Anyone wanna comment about this?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is it able to raise the DO level above 100% like plants can? If it can't, you might as well DIY a small wet/dry filter unit with skimmer (the overflow section after the top skimmer would be the area where the DO is being added...not quiet though). It can keep the O2 levels pretty high but not as high as a planted tank with CO2 though.

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Oxygen tablets are cheap and easy to use so unless the device can offer something extra, I don't think it's a good idea to buy it.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

I am not too sure of this "electrolytic" way of generating Oxygen. I used to have a device called "carbo plus" that use a carbon block and electrolytic method to generate CO2. The "side effect" is that it also lower the water hardness as well, which may be favourable to fish or plant that prefer soft water.

Can anyone comments on this? Thanks.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PohSan
    Hi,

I am not too sure of this "electrolytic" way of generating Oxygen. I used to have a device called "carbo plus" that use a carbon block and electrolytic method to generate CO2. The "side effect" is that it also lower the water hardness as well, which may be favourable to fish or plant that prefer soft water.

Can anyone comments on this? Thanks.
    Such equipment uses the KH (HCO3) of the water for extraction of carbon. With lower KH values, the pH drops as well. Unless you are breeding wild fishes, I doubt you can get any benefit from it other than a variety of diet and comfortable home.

Regards
    Peter Gwee :wink:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ron, the device seems pretty nifty but I'll still stick with O2 tablets or powder. :wink:

I think it would be much cheaper for you to bulk order a box of O2 tablets or powder, rather than to get this device.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Any dissolved oxygen(DO) reading about 110% level can cause high mortality rates so it is not useful to use for egg hatching, it might kill the fry upon hatch.

In our case of egg hatching we do not require above 100%, in between 70% would be good.

Here is the tech page for the product

http://www.aquainnovationsinc.com/tech.html

Feedback Score
    2 H20 = 2 H2 + 1 O2, H2 is flammable. Might not cost too much damage, but should not be difficult for it to cause a small explosion and cut your finger or send the killie fry a few meter from their incubation chamber.

Furthermore, over time the electrode will become inert. Which you will have the change it. Not sure about what will happen to the single cell egg when you have electricity running through the water that they are in. Possibility of mutanation? I have no experience nor literature to comment on it. All i know is, the chance is higher.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dear all,

From the responses received, am I correct in saying that nobody else is interested in the oxygenator?

If that is so, I will liaise with Kho to go ahead and place an order for just 2 units.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee