Thread: Emersed Cultivation

Feedback Score

Emersed Cultivation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello All,
    I started my emersed cultivation again. Originally I had it set up in my room, but I tore it down because I moving aquariums around. My Cryptocorynes recently melted so this was another reason to set up emersed cultivation.

Starting to grow my C. affinis again. There are the two mother plants and eight daughter plants. The mother plants used to look like this:
    http://fuelthefire.sifen7.com/images...s/caffinis.jpg

C. pontederiifolia

A. congensis (heterophylla?), Java fern "Philippine" and two Cryptanthus plants. The anubias is fine but it may be too dry for the Java ferns, a few of the smaller ones have dried up leaves.

I germinated seeds of Echinodorus horizontalis that I received from Curt Quester. It is from the genuine plants- which are next to impossible to find in the hobby!

The camera would not focus on the test tube. The white lines are not worms but part of the seed that has germinated. Growing these plants from the seed is slow but I am hoping I end up with a lot of plants from it. In a week, I plan move the plants to a sterilized substrate.

I will try to update the pictures every month or two months. Still got to set up more containers and get the rest of my plants there.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Mark, I just started cultivating plants emersed too. But I prefer to work with the stem plants. They're easier. Here's a pic of my Rotala indica var. uliginosa. It's also known in Mandarin as "Small Round Indian Plant". Funny thing with the name as the plant isn't native to India as far as I know. It's considered a weed in Japan. I was never able to grow it submersed but emersed is easy.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    LohKL, that is a very nice plant you have there. I have not even thought of using stem plants yet. I think I will try a few species if I find any next time I go shopping out of town. The only stem plant I have with me are a few Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal Wavy". Plant species are still hard to come by around here, so I will be planning on importing some new species in the spring. Sources will probably come from hobbyists. So far I got a small list of who to check on. Currently, species of Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne seem to be the easiest to locate.

I am really looking forward to the growth of the E. horizontalis. But it will probably take a few years to develop into sturdy specimens . The rest of my plants which are basicly there for recovery should be back to normal in three months.

The substrate that I am using is a bit expiremental that was conjured up by mixing potting soil, clay, sand, gravel and some fertilizers. So far it has worked well for the Cryptocorynes. No bad smells from it yet or fungus *knock on wood* ! I wanted to try a loam substrate but having problems finding a good source.

Has anyone cultivated Java fern emersed? I am mostly interested on the level of humidity- or rather dryness- that it is able to handle.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    A little update on my E. horizontalis. They are now growing in a kitty litter box with 50% sand/clay and 50% soil mix. I was a bit scared on moving them there but they have adjusted well to the change of environment. Some of them are already on their second leaf.

Here's a closeup on a few of them

I am quite excited on their progress and I usually check the box weekly. Once a week I will spray the plants lightly. Covering the box is just plastic wrap. It does not cover completely so a little evapouration occurs, but so far no leaves have dried yet. The growth is incredibly slow, but there sure is a lot of them (no official count yet, but well over 50).

The test tube of seeds has not had a germination for weeks. I will dry the seeds up and toss them in a bag. Might try them again in a few months, but I do not think anything will happen.
    -Mark Mendoza

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't know if it's just me but I can't see your pictures, Mark. I tried right mouse clicking on "View Image" but a message box says "Connection refused".

Loh K L