Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Simpsonichthys trilineatus (Brasilandia)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Simpsonichthys trilineatus (Brasilandia)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Au, this is your Simpsonichthys trilineatus (Brasilandia). Colour seems faded, agree?

Simpsonichthys trilineatus (Brasilandia) ♂

why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Should be a tad bit more red. This species has a close relative, S. auratus, which is of a more golden colour.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Picture updated. this one shows him sparring with the S. whitei var. albino. Fins are fully flared for your pleasure :wink:

stormhawkii, the picture is colour corrected. The fish is more olive than red from the forehead onwards.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the locality Brasilandia, is it in the Federal Terriroty in the state of Brasilia?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This locality is in the state of Minas Gerais, not in the Distrito Federal or Federal District of Brasilia.

Oddly enough this species is known only from a single locality, the city of João Pinheiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil, where it is conspecific with Simpsonichthys alternatus and shares this pool as its type locality.
    Right across a river exists its closest relative, Simpsonichthys auratus.

According to information I have recently found, the locality Brasilândia seems to be a precinct within the boundaries of the city of João Pinheiro.

If this is the case then the population tag in actual terms would be this:

João Pinheiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil

A lack of topographic maps of the region is hampering my research. So far from data on Killi-Data among others shows that it is only known from its type locality.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Choy,

I think I sent you the PDF of this species's description along with 2 other species in the same article.

Refer to it for more data.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there it is, they use the lowercase “rio” the river “rio São Francisco”, although elsewhere I have seen the correct version is “río” instead of “rio”.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you know what, the city of João Pinheiro is a "mere" 280km from the city of Brasília in the Federal District.

I think I will tag the pix with “Brasilandia (João Pinheiro), Minas Gerais, Brazil.” unless you guys raise a stink.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ahhh.. a much nicer shot of this species. Not going to raise a stink anyway.

280 km is a very big distance for this fish. I can explain to you the geographic positioning of all of the Simpsonichthys species known to man now. I've made a composite map of the entire floodplain over 2 days from putting together small maps via a mapping website.

In it I have positioned the species according to current geographic data of their distribution.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    let's see that MAP!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The thing is, the file size is too big. If I compress it further it will lose its details. The whole map is larger than A3 I think if you printed it out. I took 4 A4 sized printing paper to print out the whole file.

There are still add-ons to the sides to show related river systems in which other Simpsonichthys live in.

I did not add the Rio Xingu (where S. reticulatus lives) because it is too far north. I have maps for both the Rio Xingu and Fortaleza, where Simp. antenori lives.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well mail to me? or can FTP to my server too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I need the FTP details for your server, email me the details then. I've not added in the text yet, just the main map.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh well, found a grayscale version of my composite. Mailed it already. The place names are pretty small so a little difficult to view.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk
    The thing is, the file size is too big. If I compress it further it will lose its details. The whole map is larger than A3 I think if you printed it out. I took 4 A4 sized printing paper to print out the whole file.

There are still add-ons to the sides to show related river systems in which other Simpsonichthys live in.

I did not add the Rio Xingu (where S. reticulatus lives) because it is too far north. I have maps for both the Rio Xingu and Fortaleza, where Simp. antenori lives.

digging up an old thread, now that you have hosting space on hexazona, why don't you put up that map of yours?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't mind actually but the thing is its a combination of maps from Multimap.com

Forgot to add this bit earlier:

With some new species described from the region, I have to do some re-edits on my distribution map, including those for the southeast part of Brazil. Working on a new distribution map for Austrolebias species in Uruguay and will probably do another map for parts of Paraguay and Argentina. I want to work on a Nothobranchius distribution map but that would be too huge.. their distribution range comprises several countries running from equatorial Africa to southern Africa. I could do sub-regional maps though.